IGNORED

questions about the PillyClassic...

minorleagueguy

I plan to go this fall, with the blessing of my wife and daughter.However, I have several questions that maybe the "vets" of these shows can answer for me.

1) Has anyone here ever gone and NOT come home with something?

This would be the worst thing that can happen, spending the money on transportation/lodging/food ect.ect.

2) Did you go and expect to find more than you thought they might have?

It would be a shame to go and come home with only a "few" items, although, you might counter-balance that by meeting everyone/ remembering the show itself.

3) Anyone come home dissapointed?

Lack of games/too crowded/venders selling over-priced stuff?

The reasons I ask are because this will be my 1st "major" show, and I plan on getting some of the following:

1) boxed games to replace the loose carts

2) games I DON'T have

3) some "high end" stuff

Thanks for any answers you might give.

minorleagueguy

It's certainly possible to come home with nothing and still have a blast. I spent most of the time in the arcade area playing classic games - It trully was kickass. I played in a couple contests which were fun, however I wish there were more contest for the 2600. There were some overpriced vendors, but you can expect that anywhere. If you need homebrews, AA and Packrat supplied most of my homebrew games I bought. Both had fun booths.

I live close by, so I can't really tell you if it's worth the time and expense coming from Buffalo. Also, I'm not sure of what your expectations are for a show. But for what it's worth I'm definitely going again :)

It's certainly possible to come home with nothing and still have a blast. I spent most of the time in the arcade area playing classic games - It trully was kickass.  I played in a couple contests which were fun, however I wish there were more contest for the 2600.  There were some overpriced vendors, but you can expect that anywhere. If you need homebrews, AA and Packrat supplied most of my homebrew games I bought. Both had fun booths.  

I live close by, so I can't really tell you if it's worth the time and expense coming from Buffalo. Also, I'm not sure of what your expectations are for a show. But for what it's worth I'm definitely going again :)

....my expences from Buffalo (round-trip train, and 2 night stay) will be in the $300 range, which has already been taken care of. As for the games, I need the very common boxed games to the rare stuff. About 89% of my ENTIRE collection is boxed. I'm also looking to finish some of the consoles I've collected for.

For example, I only need 5 games for the Arcadia 2001, 7 for the Odyssey 2, and 12 for the 5200. But on the other hand, I have 40 loose carts for the Colecovision, and only 11 boxed. Again, needing commons to rare.

I'm also looking for The Voice for the 02....can't seem to nail one down on ebay at all.

I know it will be a good time for everyone, and I can't wait to meet the people I've talked to over the last 2 years.

I'll also be looking for some Intellivision, Vectrex, APF M1000, Astrocade,2600,Channel F stuff.

minorleagueguy

modern gaming is encroaching heavily on the Philly Classic if last year is any indication(N Gage booth anyone), but there are still plenty of classic vendors there where you can pick up most of the uncommon to common stuff you need. If you are looking for the really rare, it will be there, but come prepared to pay heavily or make a solid trade.

I've never left a Philly Classic with less than 25 new games, and I've never left unhappy.

It all depends on what you are looking for. The vendors change each year, so you never know if you will find what you need or not. You just have to go and see. I know one AA member who went to PC4 specifically looking for Lynx games and didn't find anything. It can happen, just like going to thrift stores and flea markets.

The main point is to hang out with other classic gaming enthusiasts and have fun. You can also meet some famous people in the classic gaming field. If you look at it, classic gaming shows are not very efficient way of getting games if you live far away. You could buy a lot of stuff on eBay for $300.

Now I too have a long trip to Philly but I have been the past two years and I'm going to do everything I can to make PC6. Of course I've travelled with Stan Jr to ease the costs and make the eight hour drive seem a lot shorter. But I will still be there, even if our schedules don't match for PC6. (Perish the thought!) Philly is worth the trip.

1) Has anyone here ever gone and NOT come home with something?

This would be the worst thing that can happen, spending the money on transportation/lodging/food  ect.ect.

2) Did you go and expect to find more than you thought they might have?

It would be a shame to go and come home with only a "few" items, although, you might counter-balance that by meeting everyone/ remembering the show itself.

3) Anyone come home dissapointed?  

Lack of games/too crowded/venders selling over-priced stuff?

The reasons I ask are because this will be my 1st "major" show, and I plan on getting some of the following:

1) boxed games to replace the loose carts

2) games I DON'T have

3) some "high end" stuff

Thanks for any answers you might give.

minorleagueguy

1) Yep.

2) Yep.

3)So-so, wanted more venders, less show off!

Still go to it, it's good if you want anything from the Atariage store to be autographed by Albert, or something.

I went last year as a vendor, but won't be selling anything this year since they decided we had to pay sales tax on everything. For a small-time seller (I was just selling some spare stuff from my collection to help recoup the costs of the show), it is a pain to have to deal with. So there will be one less vendor and one more "show off" there this year, unfortunately.

I went last year as a vendor, but won't be selling anything this year since they decided we had to pay sales tax on everything. For a small-time seller (I was just selling some spare stuff from my collection to help recoup the costs of the show), it is a pain to have to deal with. So there will be one less vendor and one more "show off" there this year, unfortunately.
Where were you located? Next to Pac-Rat, parallel to AA, or next to Sunmark?