IGNORED

Check out this 9x9 Go kernel.

Zach

• 2 weeks later...

Go is a great game I have played it before, you capture your opponents pieces by surrounding them like Othello.

But Go is the original game much older.

Go is also considered a much, much harder game to program an AI for, relative to chess say.

a 9x9 grid is much easier.

5x5 "go" has been solved (black wins in a perfect game)

the simplicity of go results in the deepest complexities for logical thinking.

Go is based on pattern finding and human like qualities, making it an excellent game thats impossible to make long lasting strategy.

Go strategy is very dynamic, what was considered a good strategy 100 years ago could easily be thought of as silly, just as 100 years from now modern strategy will also be useless.

Go strategy = everchanging fashion.

The VCS version I would feel would result in a very "video chess" like game and should be a decent challenge given enough time to think about a move ;)

Roughly:

In Othello you put down a piece and enemy pieces between that new piece and other ones of your color get flipped to your color.

Go, you put down pebbles and try to surround the other player's pieces with your own. So instead of making lines, you're surrounding blobs.

Attaxx is also similar, with it you pick a piece to either "clone" (it moves one square but leaves a piece behind) or "hop", where it moves 2 squares but leaves a hole behind... any enemy pieces touching the new location get changed to your color. (There was a 7UP Spot themed version of this game I had for PC a while back)

Go is cooler on the 2600 than Ataxx IMHO because it has the strategic position called the "atari", which is the inspiration for the naming of Atari Corporation. That's why I love the avatar that Zach created for me (see earlier in this thread), which is truly an atari running on an Atari!

<-- see, that's an atari running on an Atari :D

Edited by 128bytes

I "get" how hard Go AI is, I understand that the game is literally orders of magnitude more indepth of difficulty in comparison to games like Chess

Regardess, I feel a 9x9 grid (the smallest "serious" grid) should still be possible to employ on the VCS especially now that we no longer have worries over cartridge size for the most part.

Besides, Video Chess was a FIRST GENERATION 2600 game, it has a text label variation!

So even if we date it at merely 1980, we're 25+ years ahead of this game, not only has VCS programming gone a long way, but so has gameboard programming.

I still think its more than possible.

• 1 month later...