IGNORED

Forum Migration Tonight!

Albert

How about ye olde "egosearch" where it shows all of the threads you've posted to?

835050[/snapback]

Click on your profile, or anyone's. There is an option to search for user's posts and user's topics :)

835053[/snapback]

Not quite the same thing. "Finding users posts" displays the actual post itself, not the thread. There is another option, (Find Members Topics) but that only shows the topics that person started not just the ones they have participated in.

I think Maibock and I are looking for the same thing.

835065[/snapback]

:thumbsup: :cool:

Thanks

I was kind of hoping like the previous setup which would list all the threads you were a part of at one click of a button. It would be convenient since I access AA from different computers and I'm not always in email. I'll try it that way though and see what happens :)

835069[/snapback]

Actually, like I pointed out to Gregory up there somewhere *points up* if you go to your profile (Clicking your name at the top of the forum, or clicking your name or avatar in any of your posts) you will see the links to find 'Member's posts' and 'Member's topics' (Which are all the topics you yourself have started) and I believe that will do what you're looking for there?

Edit:

Ah, I see.. we cross posted.

OK, how bout this then? Go to search and put your name in the Author field? Not quite the one-click stop solution but possibly closer to what you need.

I will have to see if I can set up something for you guys. I bet I can. Will let you know!

Edited by BinaryGoddess

You're quite demanding for something that's free, Mr. Jasoco. If you don't like it, you can always stop coming, right?

835066[/snapback]

Geeze. Who pooped in your Cocoa Puffs this morning? Obviously, you didn't get your free sense of humor out of the cereal box.

Also, I am not free. (Reread your first sentance.)

BTW, that SnapBack feature of Quoting is quite handy.

In my original post before the forum ate it and lied to me, I mentioned DP's change to a Meseta based system and making you have to buy your once free Avatar and Sig privelages then putting limits on your pay. (And now their DB is down.) As long as Albert doesn't decide to do that here, I'm happy.

Testing Edit: Also, I do not like that my emails do not have the thread title in their Subject. Please fix it. Thankilly dankilly doo. :P

Edited by Jasoco

In my original post before the forum ate it and lied to me, I mentioned DP's change to a Meseta based system and making you have to buy your once free Avatar and Sig privelages then putting limits on your pay. (And now their DB is down.) As long as Albert doesn't decide to do that here, I'm happy.

No, we won't be doing anything like that here.

Testing Edit: Also, I do not like that my emails do not have the thread title in their Subject. Please fix it. Thankilly dankilly doo.

835077[/snapback]

I'll be making a list of things to tweak, first I just need to make sure everything is working the way it should. :)

..Al

Testing Edit: Also, I do not like that my emails do not have the thread title in their Subject. Please fix it. Thankilly dankilly doo.

835077[/snapback]

I'll be making a list of things to tweak, first I just need to make sure everything is working the way it should. :)

..Al

835079[/snapback]

Check it twice! ;)

Thanks

I was kind of hoping like the previous setup which would list all the threads you were a part of at one click of a button. It would be convenient since I access AA from different computers and I'm not always in email. I'll try it that way though and see what happens :)

835069[/snapback]

Actually, like I pointed out to Gregory up there somewhere *points up* if you go to your profile (Clicking your name at the top of the forum, or clicking your name or avatar in any of your posts) you will see the links to find 'Member's posts' and 'Member's topics' (Which are all the topics you yourself have started) and I believe that will do what you're looking for there?

Edit:

Ah, I see.. we cross posted.

OK, how bout this then? Go to search and put your name in the Author field? Not quite the one-click stop solution but possibly closer to what you need.

I will have to see if I can set up something for you guys. I bet I can. Will let you know!

835074[/snapback]

Cool thanks! :)

Yeah the search with my name, seems to work to replace ego search, but what about those with more common names like "Inky" ;)

So what happened to the "save items" folder, where we could save copies of PM's? I see where to create new ones, but not where to access old ones. I hope those didn't get lost in translation...

835085[/snapback]

I'll take a look, it's possible those did not make it over (and if they did, they probably would have gotten mixed up with the rest of your PMs). I never used the Save folder, so it didn't dawn on me to check that out, and I didn't modify that portion of the conversion script (which was written by IPB). If the messages did not come over, I can probably modify the import scripts to pull them in. Also, once the atariage.com domain resolves properly to the new server for everyone, I can open up the old forum so people can retrieve these messages.

..Al

So what happened to the "save items" folder, where we could save copies of PM's? I see where to create new ones, but not where to access old ones. I hope those didn't get lost in translation...

835085[/snapback]

(whew!) I have some phone numbers in there that aren't anywhere else.

Also noticed that my profile picture didn't translate, for whatever that's worth.

Cool thanks! :)

Yeah the search with my name, seems to work to replace ego search, but what about those with more common names like "Inky" ;)

835084[/snapback]

Actually if you plug your name into the "Filter by Member Name (optional)" field and click the checkbox that says "Match Exact Name" then it will work even for Inky ;)

Actually if you plug your name into the "Filter by Member Name (optional)" field and click the checkbox that says "Match Exact Name" then it will work even for Inky ;)

835097[/snapback]

Actually, even that isn't exactly what we're looking for. You'd think selecting "All Forums" in the box would show all threads from "All Forums" but it doesn't. It only shows certain ones, because if you select one of the other top level sections you get different threads. :(

835097[/snapback]

Actually, even that isn't exactly what we're looking for. You'd think selecting "All Forums" in the box would show all threads from "All Forums" but it doesn't. It only shows certain ones, because if you select one of the other top level sections you get different threads. :(

835244[/snapback]

I'll take a look at this in the next day or two, and also spend some time looking around the IPB support forums to see if I can learn more about this.

..Al

'nother issue...

Cookies and Mozilla. Everytime I close the browser, I have to log back in. I've looked at my cookies and I deleted the old phpbb cookie for Atari Age. Now, this new software won't create a new cookie in Mozilla.

BUT... Here's my theory. Every link I click within the Forum forwards to the servers IP address instead of the domain. I noticed there WERE cookies set for that IP address instead of atariage.com. I'm supposing once the DNS's are all synced, this will fix itself. Unless those IP addresses are hard-linked into the forum somehow...

BUT... Here's my theory. Every link I click within the Forum forwards to the servers IP address instead of the domain. I noticed there WERE cookies set for that IP address instead of atariage.com. I'm supposing once the DNS's are all synced, this will fix itself. Unless those IP addresses are hard-linked into the forum somehow...

835452[/snapback]

They are at the moment, this was necessary in order to allow everyone to be able to login, since the forum creates absolute paths based on the location of the forum (http://www.atariage.com/forums/, or http://67.15.129.36/~atriage/forums). I had it set to the domain name earlier today and that was causing headaches for people who weren't seeing the updated DNS information yet. All the cookie issues should be resolved once the domain has propagated for everyone.

..Al

To have sense of humor applied, Jas, you have to be at least kind of funny.  :P

(I'm sorry you're not free. What country are you writing from?)

835093[/snapback]

"You're quite demanding for something that's free, Mr. Jasoco. "

Read it! You should have said "of" instead of "for". :P

Oh, and I'm all kinds of funny. I'm funny on levels you've never even heard of.

Hmm... ok, this is a change. (Sometimes chang is good and sometimes change is bad.)

It's like going home and having that significant other surprise the hell out of you and re-arrange the entire house (damn, where did she put those floppies....oh no, she moved my clothes.... I will never find that paper wad with important phone numbers on it NOW)...

It's ok from what I can see so far (used it for 1 mins, haha) but it seems really big to me for some reason... and big makes me feel un-organized.

Anyways, congrats on getting it up and going so quickly.... I didn't even notice :)

It's ok from what I can see so far (used it for 1 mins, haha) but it seems really big to me for some reason... and big makes me feel un-organized.

835507[/snapback]

The fonts should be the same size as before, what web browser/OS are you using? Can you take a screenshot of what you're seeing? We've tested this on a wide variety of browsers in Windows and OS X and for us the fonts are the same size. The layout is different and there is more spacing in some places (for instance, posts take a bit more vertical space), but nothing drastic by any means. :)

Thanks,

..Al

How about ye olde "egosearch" where it shows all of the threads you've posted to?

835050[/snapback]

Click on your profile, or anyone's. There is an option to search for user's posts and user's topics :)

835053[/snapback]

Not quite the same thing. "Finding users posts" displays the actual post itself, not the thread. There is another option, (Find Members Topics) but that only shows the topics that person started not just the ones they have participated in.

835065[/snapback]

Nice setup!Can't wait to use the new features :D.I do miss the option stated above,the "egosearch".Great for seeing new posts I've already posted in (but not limited to the ones I started).Great job! :)

Nice setup!Can't wait to use the new features :D.I do miss the option stated above,the "egosearch".Great for seeing new posts I've already posted in (but not limited to the ones I started).Great job!  :)

835694[/snapback]

That's the problem with forum software--it seems the developers of each different forum have their own favorite ways of using forums, and thus, those end up being integrated into their own forums. I never used the "egosearch" to look for responses to posts I've sent myself, but I did use it to search for posts from other membes. I can think of no reason why this can't be done, it's just a different SQL query. The harder part is integrating it into the forum somewhere. :)

..Al

835050[/snapback]

835053[/snapback]

835065[/snapback]

I think it is the same thing. Yes it shows the actual posts itself... but it DOES also contain the thread (which is how it used to be). Just click the topic link right there on the top of each item.

If anything it just added more functionality by being able to see exactly what that person posted in the thread without having to dig through the thread itself the way we used to have to. But you can still get to the actual thread anytime easily.