IGNORED

Beat Programming Contest Is On

Paul Slocum

I didn't get an overwhelming response on the contest idea, but I'm going to do it anyway because I think the Synthcart will benefit from the creative input of more than just me.

I've decided to make the Synthcart 8k, which will allow for quite a few more beats than originally planned.

I tried to make the beat editor kit as user friendly as possible: just edit a list of numbers to make the beat, then run a batch file to compile the program, then load the beats.bin file on an emulator or Cuttle Cart to see what it sounds like.

If you're running on a real Atari, the display may start looking funny. I'm aware of this bug and trying to track it down.

So if you want to try your hand at Atari beat-smithing, download this ZIP file and unzip it into a folder. The readme.txt will walk you through the rest.

beatkit.zip 44K

-Paul

I have an idea for some motivation. Since several people may submit beats which I may use, I can't afford to give everyone a free cart. But I can give away one.

So everyone who submits a beat or beats that are used on the cart gets entered (once) in a raffle to win a free Synthcart. I'd rather select the winner randomly rather than choosing the "best" one since it's way too subjective.

-Paul