IGNORED

Any update on the Flashback 2.0?

I'm just saying that once we get the 2.0 for a while (and play the HELL out of it), there will be something even better coming out to make the 2.0 obsolete.  Just my gut feeling, is all....

Hell, I know I would buy the Flashback a THIRD time if such a device were released.

874674[/snapback]

Well, if it's an Atari 5200.8-bit computer than it's completely different machine with many different games. It's a shame that the Flashback II wasn't a 7800 so that we could add a cart port and use both our 7800 and 2600 games.

Allan

• 2 weeks later...
Well I was at my local GameStop today and I asked them when they were going to have the FB2 in and they said....August 24th.  :sad: Of course, when the FB1 was released they also got it in much later than Target, so I'm hoping that's the same case this time around as August seems far away.  :|

880519[/snapback]

:?

You're hoping it gets delayed?

Wow - those screenshots of Asteroids Deluxe and especially Space Duel certainly look pretty good! The anticipation level of getting the FB just went up a notch (if it could even go up any further!). It looks like Space Duel supports 2-play simulatneous play - sweet!

Thanks for the pics Curt!

Opening Space Duel Menu allows for:

1 Player

2 Player alternating

2 Player competitive gameplay

Space Duel was tough one, the objects rotate in a wire-framed semi-3d look and doing the bonus level's and such was interesting. 2 Player simultaneous is definitely fun (and no you can't shoot your opponent! ;-)

Asteroids Deluxe is pretty hard, so for those who get bored with Asteroids as its gotten so easy to play, Ast Dlx's snowflake opponent certainly adds a nice added bonus to the game.

Curt

Wow - those screenshots of Asteroids Deluxe and especially Space Duel certainly look pretty good!  The anticipation level of getting the FB just went up a notch (if it could even go up any further!).  It looks like Space Duel supports 2-play simulatneous play - sweet!

882401[/snapback]

Thanks again for the info Curt - both games sound really cool!

Here's an off-base question that I'm sure you've heard by now: Has Atari considered releasing any of the new games on cart, perhaps after the FB2 has been out for a while? I know there's probably a tech support nightmare involved (kinda the reverse of having a cartridge slot on the FB2, with new carts being put in old systems) but I was wondering if this may be a possibility.

PS I saw the extra ship graphics made it into Asteroids Deluxe. Awesome! :)

Opening Space Duel Menu allows for:

1 Player

2 Player alternating

2 Player competitive gameplay

Space Duel was tough one, the objects rotate in a wire-framed semi-3d look and doing the bonus level's and such was interesting.    2 Player simultaneous is definitely fun (and no you can't shoot your opponent! ;-)

Asteroids Deluxe is pretty hard, so for those who get bored with Asteroids as its gotten so easy to play, Ast Dlx's snowflake opponent certainly adds a nice added bonus to the game.

Curt

Wow - those screenshots of Asteroids Deluxe and especially Space Duel certainly look pretty good!  The anticipation level of getting the FB just went up a notch (if it could even go up any further!).  It looks like Space Duel supports 2-play simulatneous play - sweet!

882401[/snapback]

882443[/snapback]

Sorry to bug. :)

Both Space Duel and A. Deluxe look quite promising from the pics. Since both games were enhancements to the original Asteroids gameplay, and I was curious how much they would have in common with 2600 Asteroids, and it looks like quite a bit, at least visually. Now I can't help but wonder how much flicker there is compared to 2600 Asteroids as well, especially with more variety of moving objects in the new games.

Edited by Feralstorm

Interesting observation, however I think you'll see it's not all that bad, the amont of objects was reduced to also help clean up the visuals as well and minimize flickering.

Curt

Sorry to bug. :)

Both Space Duel and A. Deluxe look quite promising from the pics. Since both games were enhancements to the original Asteroids gameplay, and I was curious how much they would have in common with 2600 Asteroids, and it looks like quite a bit, at least visually. Now I can't help but wonder how much flicker there is compared to 2600 Asteroids as well, especially with more variety of moving objects in the new games.

882772[/snapback]

Looks like just Asteroids will be a graphic hack of Asteroids. :)

I never realized that 2600 Asteroids flickered when I was a kid, only until I was older and looked at games in a more analytical way. It's the 'nice' steady 30 frame flicker which isn't that noticable, even less so on the 'vector' hacks. I'd rather have some flicker than hobble the movement and gameplay myself.

Has Space Duel got the one player "two ships tethered together" mode? That was always fun in the arcade version.

Are Space Duel and deluxe built on the base of the original 2600 Asteroids code, or just made to have a similar look?

I'm full of questions it seems. :)

I'm still rather upset that FB2 will not see Thrust+ ....that's just a real real shame that millions of home consumers wont ever get to enjoy that game, no matter what the reason, it should not have happened.