IGNORED

So close, but so far away

emkay

Fandal has added a demonstration of "Trantor", with the protagonist in hires.

Seeing this demo, I asked myself "why again?".

Having this mixed up screen, can show nicely how games may have looked in the past.

This screen would only miss some multiplexed PMg to have an impressive game engine ...

Edited by emkay

To be honest, I can't see anything that could be used as a game engine.

But the character animation looks cool anyway.

837137[/snapback]

It's all in the expenditure around the protagonist. Changing the fixed movement with some joystick depending and putting some PMg in (as seen in heaven's PM multiplex routines) would result in a "wow" game... The coders of the demo has done the most work already.

It wouldn't be a "full possibilities" game, but, back in time it would have shown, what would be needed in that time.

To make the meaning more clear, here a question:

How much colorfull games with a hires protagonist are available on the A8?

It's all in the expenditure around the protagonist. Changing the fixed movement with some joystick depending and putting some PMg in (as seen in heaven's PM multiplex routines) would result in a "wow" game... The coders of the demo has done the most work already.

It wouldn't be a "full possibilities" game, but, back in time it would have shown, what would be needed in that time.

To make the meaning more clear, here a question:

How much colorfull games with a hires protagonist are available on the A8?

837553[/snapback]

Ah, I see what you are trying to say. Create a software sprite engine (some of this is done by the demo) to create hires sprites. If you do it correctly you could use the GTIA atrifacts to create more colors. Use PM underlays to create even more colors... or even my favorite mode, Priority 0, where PMs are ORed in with the playfields.

If you want a really colorful hires software sprite, use characters for 2 levels of greyscale that are ORed with the PM in priority 0, set the PM overlap creates third color bit, and you can have a really cool hires software sprite with 9 colors (one set of PMs will be ORed with the character map, and the other set will be underlayed) - these colors do not include hires artifacting, so there will be even more effective colors.

=C=

Ah, I see what you are trying to say.  Create a software sprite engine (some of this is done by the demo) to create hires sprites.  If you do it correctly you could use the GTIA atrifacts to create more colors.  Use PM underlays to create even more colors... or even my favorite mode, Priority 0, where PMs are ORed in with the playfields. 

Well... not exactly, but your ideas would enhance the gamescreen as well.

My apprehensions are about your idea of using the PMg and the GRPIOR settings. It might not work, because two of the players are completely hidden behind the Antic 2/f playfield.

In hires it makes more sense to use simple overlay with the GRIOR setting to have a third color for the players.... the rest is done by the hires overlay itself....

Finally, Turrican for our Atari!!

Now imagine a night background and 8 different colors for hires graphics. Graphics with bits 1 (se. register 709) should mask all pmg.

Then choose se. 710 for the color that occurs the most. (f.e. light blue or something)

Then choose GPRIOR with mixing Player colors AND 5th player.

This gives 3+3+1 colors

--> total of 8 colors.