IGNORED

Hunchy (my first 2600 homebrew game)

cd-w

Feeling very frustrated! :sad: Am I the only person around here who is unable to unzip the game. I've tried WinZip which is what I use to unzip everything that I download (without problems) and have just downloaded PKZIP and tried with that and again I get error messages. WinZip tells me that the file is part of a group and to retry with the first disk. Which unzip program are you all using?

I used to love the hunchback arcade game and have even dabbled at an attempt of the game on the 2600. If anyone is interested in my flickery amateurish attempt I can always post it!

regards

Martin

Feeling very frustrated!  :sad: Am I the only person around here who is unable to unzip the game.  I've tried WinZip which is what I use to unzip everything that I download (without problems) and have just downloaded PKZIP and tried with that and again I get error messages.  WinZip tells me that the file is part of a group and to retry with the first disk.  Which unzip program are you all using?

I used to love the hunchback arcade game and have even dabbled at an attempt of the game on the 2600.  If anyone is interested in my flickery amateurish attempt I can always post it!

regards

Martin

845903[/snapback]

Martin,

I am not sure why you are having problems with the ZIP file. However, you can download the

ROM file and ZIp archive directly with the following links:

Hunchy v0.3 (NTSC)

Hunchy v0.3 (PAL)

Hunchy v0.3 (ZIP)

I would also be interested to see your 2600 port of the game.

Chris

I managed to get through all the levels about an hour or so ago. When you get past that screen, it just starts over at the first level again, and you can repeat the entire process.

So for the final version where more code can be used, we need more levels, ease the difficulty a tad, and put the final screen back in for a win! Then repeat with added speed...etc...making it impossible!!

hehe...

This was a lot of fun!

843864[/snapback]

Thanks for the feedback, and I am glad you enjoyed playing it. The game is currently running

at half speed, so it would certainly be possible to increase the speed after completing all the levels.

I have attached a version of the game without the delay, so you can see what this would be like!

Unfortunately I can't find the space in the 1K version to implement this properly, but I will keep it

in mind for the extended version.

Chris

hunchyfast.zip

Hi there!

Nice job so far!

I was always hoping for someone to try a faithful 2600 port of this game. 2 years ago

I even did a rough job of converting the music of the C64 version of Hunchback, as attached.

Greetings,

Manuel

846913[/snapback]

Excellent music. I am not sure if I am going to try to aim to be faithfull the

arcade version or not at this stage. There are certain features of the arcade

version (e.g. the guard climbing up the wall) that I don't like, and would be difficult

to implement on the 2600. Also, there are certain other features (e.g. sliding

bridges) that I would like implement in my version.

Chris

• 3 months later...

I just started this thread.. used to love the arcade version so I checked out yours. Pretty good. Don't know if this is a bug or not, but when you die you can keep pressing the jump button and he goes down really slow.

How do I pass level 5 or 6.. it's the screen with the yellow thing going on the bottom at you and the rope?! I keep dying.

I just started this thread.. used to love the arcade version so I checked out yours. Pretty good. Don't know if this is a bug or not, but when you die you can keep pressing the jump button and he goes down really slow.

How do I pass level 5 or 6.. it's the screen with the yellow thing going on the bottom at you and the rope?! I keep dying.

911470[/snapback]

Thanks. The jumping while dead is a feature :) (i.e. I didn't have space left in the code to prevent this). To pass this level, you need to time your jump so that you are positioned further up the rope, and the missile will pass underneath you.

Chris

Edited by cd-w

• 2 weeks later...
I can't get this one (or Jetman) to boot up on my Krokodile Cartridge.  Anyone have an idea of what I'm doing wrong?  Hunchy II works wonderfully, BTW.  ;)

[edit]

Changed "Jetpack" to "Jetman"...  um, DAH!  :dunce:  :lol:

919839[/snapback]

Jetman and Hunchy are 2k roms... could this be why?

Hmm, odd...

I was using the 4K multicart (8k-512k) option. Other games, like Cave1k, Splatform, etc worked fine. I only noticed these didn't work. However, I did like you said and used the 4k none (2k/4k) option and it booted right up. :?

Anyways, maybe somehow the multicart bin is reacting negatively with Hunchy and Jetpac? Or maybe I was stupid to think it would work in the first place? I don't know why Thomas's games worked though(?)

I do not know why some 2K files work better than others, but I just successfully made a multicart image with 4K Jetman and Hunchy files. Try the following to make 4K files:

• Disassemble the game using Distella. The following command line can be used: "distella -pafs hunchy.bin > hunchy.asm"
  • Open the .asm file with a text editor and find the line "ORG $F800"
  • Add the following code just before the previously mentioned line. (Don't forget to include tabs)
          ORG $F000
          repeat 2048
          .byte $00
          repend

• Assemble the file with DASM using the line "dasm hunchy.asm -f3 -v3 -ohunchy4k.bin"

Let me know if you have any questions. :)

Edited by Zach

I do not know why some 2K files work better than others, but I just successfully made a multicart image with 4K Jetman and Hunchy files. Try the following to make 4K files:

•  
  • Disassemble the game using Distella. The following command line can be used: "distella -pafs hunchy.bin > hunchy.asm"

• Open the .asm file with a text editor and find the line "ORG $F800"

• Add the following code just before the previously mentioned line. (Don't forget to include tabs)
          ORG $F000
          repeat 2048
          .byte $00
          repend

• Assemble the file with DASM using the line "dasm hunchy.asm -f3 -v3 -ohunchy4k.bin"

Let me know if you have any questions. :)

919862[/snapback]

This should also work, if you're using DOS:

copy /b hunchy.bin+hunchy.bin hunchy4k.bin

This should also work, if you're using DOS:

copy /b hunchy.bin+hunchy.bin hunchy4k.bin

919958[/snapback]

The same procedure can be used to convert 4K ROM images to 8K, if you don't want to stock 4K boards and 2732 chips. Myself, I just use 27C256 (32Kx8) chips and copy all files out to 32K. Note that using Albert's boards, any size game may be played on 27C256 chips, but for 8K/16K/32K games you may still need the "proper size" board; 4K games will run in any of the 8K/16K/32K boards without a problem, though.

I haven't totally followed this thread, but I just download the new version and how come it runs so slow?! The guy on screen is a little blurry. Does the arcade version have that annnnoying noise when you move?! It's like beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep while you're moving.

923221[/snapback]

I agree that the sound effects are not great, but the game should not be slow or blurry? Are you running the version from the minigame contest page?

Chris

I am running the version above.. it's like a few replies above our chat here. That was the lastest listed in the this post that I saw.

Anyway, just got the Minicomp page version. Like that you updated some of the graphics (those guys with the spears or whatever in the pits). I'm thinking maybe my blurriness is just because of the fast moving graphics and it being on an Atari 2600.

Good game. The only thing I would have changed was to remove that annoying walk sound, but if it's in the arcade game that's the only way I'd leave it in.

One more word of suggestion.. when you make your zip files could you not put everything in a subdirectory called hunchy or whatever. When I hit unzip into my c:\stella\roms directory it doesn't find the rom because I have to manually move it out of the c:\stella\roms\hunchy directory and into c:\stella\roms.

Hey.. the only thing I cannot figure out.. how do you pass the one level where there's a rope in the middle, that arrow flying across top and that ball thing flying across the bottom?! I cannot make it through there for the life of me.

Going to try Hunchy 2 now.......... and OMG it's my new favorite game! How many levels are there?!

Edited by yuppicide

• 1 month later...
Wow, I just tested this and it is really good. I strongly support and recommend it. If there's enough space, however, you might want to consider a death animation(just nitpicking) :)

953655[/snapback]

Thanks - I am glad you like it. There isn't really space for any more changes in the game as I was sticking to a 1K limit for the minigame competition. I presume that you have also seen Hunchy 2 which is 4K in size and has many more features?

Chris

• 3 weeks later...
Hey cd-w, I've been having a lot of fun with Hunchy. After about four hours of effort, I finally found a way to clear the final level with the rope and two missiles.

964586[/snapback]

I'm glad you enjoyed playing it! I'm sorry that there isn't a better ending after all that effort, but there was no more space left. Incidentally, all of our minigames received a lot of attention at the vgXpo, and hopefully a few carts were sold as a result.

Chris

Hey cd-w, I've been having a lot of fun with

I'm glad you enjoyed playing it!  I'm sorry that there isn't a better ending after all that effort, but there was no more space left.

Chris

964608[/snapback]

Don't worry. I totally understand the restrictions of a 1K game. It wasn't hard to picture Hunchy reuniting with Esmeralda in my head.

Incidentally, all of our minigames received a lot of attention at the vgXpo, and hopefully a few carts were sold as a result.

Nice. :) As can be seen in the events forum, at least one person bought the 2005 Minigame Multicart and Hunchy II.

Edited by Zach