IGNORED

Black Series

neotokeo2001

In the early days of Atari the upper management wanted to show that the Atari 2600 was a COLOR Video Game System.

The result? No game would be released without a colored background. This led to the bright colored backgrounds in most of the early releases. The bright backgrounds can lead to blurred images and eyestrain.

The solution? Change the backgrounds to black. The black background gives the game more of an 80's arcade look and makes the graphics stand out better.

Welcome to the BLACK SERIES where I will do just that. I will be taking some of the early releases and converting them to black backgrounds while leaving the basic graphics and gameplay unchanged. If you have a game that you would like converted, just drop me an e-mail or reply to this post.

Games already converted.

Surround Black

SurroundNew.gif

Combat Black(By Request)

CombatNew.gif

Outlaw Black(By Request)

OutlawBlack.gif

Maze Craze Black

MCBlack.gif

Combat Redux Black(By Request)

ReduxBlack.gif

Edited by neotokeo2001

As much as I like what you have done .. I find that the BW/Color switch is just as interesting for these early games.

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

838937[/snapback]

It is really a thinly veiled attempt to overload Stan with hacks for the next update. :ponder:

The only problem when you use the BW/Color switch is that you lose the sparkle or the boldness of the image, leaving you with a dull, flat image.

post-3832-1113786586_thumb.jpg

post-3832-1113786618_thumb.jpg

post-3832-1113786636_thumb.jpg

Ms. Pac-Man

Bowling

Dark Cavern

Street Racer

Tron: Deadly Disc

All made 'Black' please  :D

-Trebor

841962[/snapback]

I'll have them all done by Sunday.

841998[/snapback]

Excellent. No rush though. I'm not holding you to the "Sunday" deadline ;)

I appreciate the fast response, and your willingness to convert the titles to black.

Thanks,

Trebor

I have now caught up to all of the request that were made. Thanks to everyone who requested a game.

In a poll on Digital Press the results so far are about 2-1 in favor of the black backgrounds. I think it makes a few games much better, such as Alien. Others it makes easier on the eyes (Bowling). And a few it really does not change much(Air Sea Battle).

What is really strange is why a colored background was used in the first place. In arcade ports like Pac-Man, why make a blue background when the arcade has a black one? Also with the game Alien, It's in space aboard a dark starship, why the blue background??

If anyone has any more request, just post it here or e-mail me. If I can't figure it out then there are always talanted hackers/programmers like Nukey Shay to bail me out.

I am surprised that Stan has not thrown in the white towel yet. :D

I thought sometimes a black background makes flicker more evident?

Actually, I remember on rec.games.video.classic, a guy who knows the guy who did the NES port of Smash TV -- with tons of sprites on the NES -- used color as a big factor in hiding the flicker....

Well, good work. It was a cool idea, both because of how it improved the look of many games, and also because adding "black" works well for other things (like Johnny Walker, right?) that it was nice to see that "old black magic" on the 2600 as well.

That reminds me that Spacewar wasn't done.

This game's disassembly is kind of easy to hack...there's only 2 references to indirect pointers (the ship GFX pointer for each player). Changed 'em both into labels. The 4 colors are at $F7C3.

An additional 2k of space can be had just by changing the last ORG statement to read ORG $FFFA

Spacewar_Black_.zip

Spacewar_assembly.zip

It is really a thinly veiled attempt to overload Stan with hacks for the next update.  :ponder:

and its working! heave-ho, heave-ho... :D

Looks great though, and ultimately the joke is on Albert, he's the one who has to create the pages!!! :D :D :D :D

• 1 month later...