IGNORED

Game On Exhibit Sucks Arse!

Jamcat

Being a employee of the Museum Of Science & Industry in Chicago, I was able to check out the Game On exhibit of games from Pong to today. But I must say, the show is NOT WORTH paying admission to see. It isn't even worth seeing free, which I did. It TOTALLY sucks major arse! The majority of the games on display for play are $#!t. You could just as well play the same crap on demo kioks at Toys R Us, EB, GameStop, or Game Crazy.

The collection of classic coin-ops is p!$$ poor! Just Asteroids, Dig Dug, Galaga, Space Invaders, Missile Comand, Ms Pac Man, Berzerk, Star Wars, and Discs Of Tron. It's like WTF! There should have been MORE classic coin-ops than just that!

If you are in the Chicago area and visit the Museum Of Science & Industry, save your money and STAY AWAY from Game On! If you want to see something cooler and MUCH BETTER, check out the FANTASTIC Body Worlds exhibit:

http://www.msichicago.org/bodyworlds/index.html

As I know the guy who runs/organises the whole Game On thing (being a fellow Brit and all)... it's NOT specifically for the hardcore gamer. It's designed to appeal to everyone. He knows he's gotten some people's noses bent because of the content but he doesn't care. It's there to attract the most people and get them interested, not just the ones totally into video gaming. And it is meant to look at gaming from year dot until now, not just the early stuff.

Having said that, he's looking to make it bigger as it travels. He is actively acquiring new items and machines to use as it moves about. It will be back at MSI next year after travelling to San Jose, so hopefully it will be larger and better. He's tied somewhat by restrictions on what can be included as well (nothing rated Mature for starters) at some venues.

Previously some of the machines were loaned. Actually MOST of the arcade machines were on loan. Now "they" (as in the organisers) own most of the what they take around with them. So they are more likely to have them working and playable as opposed to "off" due to fear of breaking down.