IGNORED

Atari Announces Flashback 2.0

Battlezone is the replacement.

Dang, no kidding. Just think of it as buying a copy of Thrust+ (for slightly less than the Atari Age store sells it)...

I am very sorry, but I have to disappoint everybody here. I had to cancel the deal because "Atari" and I could not come to agreeable terms to satisfy both sides. :sad:

Wow - I'm surprised people aren't more upset about this (maybe news hasn't spread yet?). Is there going to be an official announcement from Atari about this since Thrust was listed as one of the 40 games?

Any news on a possible replacement?

This sucks. :sad:

863672[/snapback]

Hi there!

Wow, thanks!

Greetings,

Manuel

863718[/snapback]

A message board moderator praises a company rep about his product when his avatar says to boycott the company :?

We live in interesting times....

Unfortunate to lose Thrust, but at least we get a do-over for one of the games that sucked-out-unplayably-loud on the FB1.

I keep hoping to see screenshots (or even reasonable mockups) of the new arcade conversions. I worry about games like Asteroids Deluxe or Space Duel running into the same limits as 2600 Asteroids, but then if done similarly to the Supercharger game Suicide Mission, much is possible. That game had a lot of independently moving objects in it.

Which leads to an interesting question.. does the FB2 have the same 128 bytes of RAM as the original 2600, or is more RAM available to 2600 games, to enhance newmade games a smidge?

Which leads to an interesting question.. does the FB2 have the same 128 bytes of RAM as the original  2600, or is more RAM available to 2600 games, to enhance newmade games a smidge?

I'd guess, only if there are any games built in that originally had an extra RAM chip in the cartridge.

Flicker is a problem due to the limitations of the system. It's only designed to display 5 sprites (2 players, 2 missiles, and the ball) on any scanline. On it's own, free ram would accomplish nothing. However, game kernals could be rewritten to take advantage of ram in ways to reduce flicker (like using intelligent sprite multiplexing), or eliminate it (by using pixel-perfect positioning in conjunction with hardware sprite doubling/tripling). Needless to say, such changes would require extensive modifications to the original program. It might be easier to rewrite the whole thing from scratch rather than go that route.

And rewrites was the major gripe regarding FB1 ;)

Well, does Save Mary use extra RAM? It seems like a few titles from the time Atari made Save Mary used extra RAM in them.

And about the loss of Thrust -> :sad: BattleZone is a nice replacement though. But if Thrust is gone I guess that there will be very few homebrews on the FB2 then, which is really too bad since the homiebrews have been the lifeblood of the system since Secret Quest

It would be great to see some new unreleased homebrews ofn the FB2 that are currently not available. Hopefully any homebrew author who agrees to this type of thing will be allowed to put their name somewhere visible in the game so that gamers will know who made the games.

Is Gravitar already on the system? Seems to me that would be the perfect replacement for Thrust.

865097[/snapback]

Gravitar is on the Jakks Atari stick, the original Flashback, Atari Anniversary, Atari Anthology (this one has both arcade and VCS versions) -- but it doesn't appear to be slated for the FB2.

Caverns of Mars looks a lot like the same concept though. Do a google image search and you'll see some 8-bit computer versions.

Caverns of Mars is only like Thrust in the broad sense that you have to descend into a cave, then get back out. The actual gameplay is more like an upside-down version of River Raid.

It's a nice game. The 2600 should be able to handle a perfect translation.

• 4 weeks later...
Just thought I'd post how it looks here without having to have to click a link (I hate doing that) :P

atari2.0.jpg

845965[/snapback]

Can it play 2600 games?

882580[/snapback]

The FB2 doesnt have a cart slot ,it would need to be modified to play the actual 2600 carts. soldering involved, and the need for a cartslot, cart guide & switch to be installed.

Just thought I'd post how it looks here without having to have to click a link (I hate doing that) :P

atari2.0.jpg

845965[/snapback]

Can it play 2600 games?

882580[/snapback]

The FB2 doesnt have a cart slot ,it would need to be modified to play the actual 2600 carts. soldering involved, and the need for a cartslot, cart guide & switch to be installed.

882581[/snapback]

Is the "slot" on the FB2 the same size as the regular 2600 slot or will the case

have to be adjusted (read cut) to fit an actual slot?

atari2.0.jpg

845965[/snapback]

Can it play 2600 games?

882580[/snapback]

882581[/snapback]

Is the "slot" on the FB2 the same size as the regular 2600 slot or will the case

have to be adjusted (read cut) to fit an actual slot?

883738[/snapback]

that picture you have is a prototype, their will not be a cart slot or anything that resembles a cart slot on the outside :)

this is the real deal! fb2.JPG

Edited by ATARIeric

Hey guys, I just created a little FAQ for the Flashback 2. Take a look at it and let me know what else I can add or correct on it. I think I may have something wrong on the games list (Is Atari Climber still on the list?) so LMK.

http://www.staticgamer.com/modules.php?mod...aflashback2_faq

883895[/snapback]

Question number 5 - Reproduction is the correct word for it hardware wise. The Flashback 2's main chip is an exact reproduction of 2600 hardware in a single chip format. Case wise, it's of course changed a bit. And yes, the switches changed due to costs.