IGNORED

Atari Announces Flashback 2.0

Yay! This is more like it! The packaging is reminiscent of the old Video Computer System box, writ small.

Atari has revealed Atari Flashback 2.0, its follow-up to its Atari Flashback unit released last year. This newly designed plug-and-play console will be released this summer for less than $30 to celebrate the 30th anniversary of Atari's original Pong arcade machine. "Unlike other nostalgia gaming products on the market, the Atari Flashback is the real McCoy and the games included are originals, not third-party ports," said Curt Vendel, president of the Atari Historical Society and contributing producer for Atari Flashback 2.0. We'll have more on Atari Flashback 2.0 as it gets closer to its Summer 2005 launch. -- Craig Harris

post-2410-1114736899_thumb.jpg

I don't get it. Why do people like this more than the original Flashback?

Yes, I see the marginal improvement in going for emulation vs. portage, but it's still not "the real McCoy" as Infogrames seems to want to convince people it is. It's running on "modern hardware", most likely still an NES-on-a-chip. There's still no cartridge slot.

The games that are included may or may not be more faithful than the original Flashback (I'm thinking the sounds will still probably be off, at least, because that's really dependent on the hardware), but it's not some holy grail we're looking at here.

The box is nice, but that's about it. Those buttons just do not look right where the old chrome switches are supposed to be.

(I'll get one anyway - I got an original FB too.)

Yay!  This is more like it!  The packaging is reminiscent of the old Video Computer System box, writ small.

Atari has revealed Atari Flashback 2.0, its follow-up to its Atari Flashback unit released last year. This newly designed plug-and-play console will be released this summer for less than $30 to celebrate the 30th anniversary of Atari's original Pong arcade machine. "Unlike other nostalgia gaming products on the market, the Atari Flashback is the real McCoy and the games included are originals, not third-party ports," said Curt Vendel, president of the Atari Historical Society and contributing producer for Atari Flashback 2.0. We'll have more on Atari Flashback 2.0 as it gets closer to its Summer 2005 launch. -- Craig Harris

846061[/snapback]

My GOD! They are REALLY going to use REAL Atari roms sets? Man Ill get then in a NY min! :D At last they are going to do what we all wanted not if only the 3.0 one that let you use REALL Atari carts!

Yay!  This is more like it!  The packaging is reminiscent of the old Video Computer System box, writ small.

846061[/snapback]

My GOD! They are REALLY going to use REAL Atari roms sets? Man Ill get then in a NY min! :D At last they are going to do what we all wanted not if only the 3.0 one that let you use REALL Atari carts!

846081[/snapback]

Open it up, and that answer will come sooner than you think ;)

I don't get it.  Why do people like this more than the original Flashback?

Yes, I see the marginal improvement in going for emulation vs. portage, but it's still not "the real McCoy" as Infogrames seems to want to convince people it is.  It's running on "modern hardware", most likely still an NES-on-a-chip.  There's still no cartridge slot.

The games that are included may or may not be more faithful than the original Flashback (I'm thinking the sounds will still probably be off, at least, because that's really dependent on the hardware), but it's not some holy grail we're looking at here.

The box is nice, but that's about it.  Those buttons just do not look right where the old chrome switches are supposed to be.

846067[/snapback]

That's like saying the Commodore 64 on a chip is also using emulation.

There's no cartridge slot, on the outside ;)

From what we gathered from Curt, there are solder points on the inside to where you can install your own cart. They did this, so they don't get calls about why people's old carts don't work anymore.

Edited by keilbaca

Yes, I see the marginal improvement in going for emulation vs. portage, but it's still not "the real McCoy" as Infogrames seems to want to convince people it is.  It's running on "modern hardware", most likely still an NES-on-a-chip.  There's still no cartridge slot.

The box is nice, but that's about it.  Those buttons just do not look right where the old chrome switches are supposed to be.

846067[/snapback]

Read the press release. It's 2600-on-a-chip, not NES-on-a-chip like the first one. The games will be faithful or I'll eat a Flashback I.

This is just too good to be true. And at $30, how can I not buy one? Will this be shown off at E3?

This is one step closer to my dream of having an "Atari 2600 ipod."

846119[/snapback]

I don't know about E3 but it'll be shown at OVGE ;)

846067[/snapback]

Read the press release. It's 2600-on-a-chip, not NES-on-a-chip like the first one. The games will be faithful or I'll eat a Flashback I.

846115[/snapback]

:rolling:

I think Curt explained many things in the other FB2.0 thread that went on about a month ago. Obviously the 2.0 is going to be better than the 1.0 in that it will have real hardware, it will work with our legacy joysticks and paddles, it will have 40 games instead of 20 (which was a big complaint I remember reading aobut here when the first one was about to come out), it will have new games that have been developed for it and the internal cart slot. Even if I have to solder it on I'm fine with that, it's obviously there only for us fanatics. I'm happy that Atari has listened to the fans this time around and they've improved on it as well. I would really like to see how Lunar Lander turned out, I've been playing it a lot on the AA disk lately. And I'm guessing Saboteur will also be on it if that screenshot on the box is an indication of the included games. So all these things make me like the 2.0 more than the 1.0 :)

846067[/snapback]

846115[/snapback]

:rolling:

I think Curt explained many things in the other FB2.0 thread that went on about a month ago. Obviously the 2.0 is going to be better than the 1.0 in that it will have real hardware, it will work with our legacy joysticks and paddles, it will have 40 games instead of 20 (which was a big complaint I remember reading aobut here when the first one was about to come out), it will have new games that have been developed for it and the internal cart slot. Even if I have to solder it on I'm fine with that, it's obviously there only for us fanatics. I'm happy that Atari has listened to the fans this time around and they've improved on it as well. I would really like to see how Lunar Lander turned out, I've been playing it a lot on the AA disk lately. And I'm guessing Saboteur will also be on it if that screenshot on the box is an indication of the included games. So all these things make me like the 2.0 more than the 1.0 :)

846121[/snapback]

Just the fact its not a NES on a chip makes it better than the 1.0

Whats soo very funny about this whole thing on this is that all thouse Classic game owners that was afrade that all thouse Atari Roms downloads will hirt there ownerships in fact peolpe are STILL buying them even if you can download all 2600 games anywhere online. We will pay even if we have the real or downloaded roms games.

Aw... Man... There's no BW/Color switch! So, I guess Space Shuttle is out of the question.   :twisted:

846144[/snapback]

Atari wasn't thinking too much about Activision's Space Shuttle when they released the Jr. either.. ;)

846147[/snapback]

Or Starmaster for that matter...

Y'know, It looks like the mini "fake" cartridge slot is big enough to mount a 25 pin D-Sub connector (DB25). If so, a female one one could be mounted there, wired to the pads on the PCB for the cart port and then one could fabricate an adapter with a Male DB25 connector on one end and a 24 pin card edge connector with some unlocking tabs that would plug into a regular cart on the other. One could house such a contraption in an extra combat or pac-man cart, or just use a short peice of ribbon cable. Hmm... the thing could even be made AHEAD of time so all one would have to do when the FB comes out is add the DB25 to it...

Hypothetically speaking...of course.

Aw... Man... There's no BW/Color switch! So, I guess Space Shuttle is out of the question.  :twisted:

846144[/snapback]

Secret Quest won't work either.

And as I own that one, it means more to me than Space Shuttle.

And on an undeservedly nitpicky negative note: The big orange buttons look ugly. As long as they're using the old case style*, they should've goen all out and gotten some chromed somethings.

ANYTHING but a pile of orange fire buttons, really.

Except something that looks like those purple SNES sliders. Those would be worse.

*Disclaimer: I realize it's not the same case, or even the same SIZE case, but it's the same STYLE case.

Edited by JB

Maybe I'm going too fast, but I wonder whether if/when it will be released in PAL countries the machine will be a PAL 2600 or it'll still be the NTSC one.. My money would be on the latter with a nice "60hz" warning on the box maybe :)

Regards!

Rasty.-

This is a nifty item...

I must say that the first Flashback was a bit of a disappointment, but this one is sounding like the "real deal"... real games (not conversions) and DB9 controllers!

I may have to pick one of these up for the nephews!

Three (optimistic but still just a hair apprehensive) cheers for Infogrames!

Cheers!

Joey

I'm glad to hear that there's no real cart port. Is it just me, or is anyone else concerned about a whole new huge group of people wanting to buy carts and controllers, creating a much larger demand, and jacking up the prices for our beloved (and cheap) hobby?

846266[/snapback]

Not if it generates sufficient demand for nouveau Atari to fabricate modern replica controllers. As for cartridges, putting 40 games on the unit goes a long way towards satisfying most people IMHO.

Aw... Man... There's no BW/Color switch! So, I guess Space Shuttle is out of the question.   :twisted:

846144[/snapback]

Atari wasn't thinking too much about Activision's Space Shuttle when they released the Jr. either.. ;)

846147[/snapback]

Or Starmaster for that matter...

846155[/snapback]

Starmaster works without the B&W switch...it can use the left or right difficulties instead (they have the same function...tho this was not mentioned in the manual).

I wonder if the hardware that handles SWCHB will be hackable as well (to install a switch)?