IGNORED

Atari Announces Flashback 2.0

Aw... Man... There's no BW/Color switch! So, I guess Space Shuttle is out of the question.   :twisted:

846144[/snapback]

Atari wasn't thinking too much about Activision's Space Shuttle when they released the Jr. either.. ;)

846147[/snapback]

Or Starmaster for that matter...

846155[/snapback]

I was actually thinking of the overlay for Space Shuttle, but in reality, there is no reason for Atari to provide compatability with anything but it's own legacy cartridges... except Secret Quest, which I wasn't aware of since I've never seen it...

The "2600 on a chip" + VCS/2600/2600jr/7800 controller compatibility elevates this to a genuine Atari dedicated console.

Yeah, 40 games is enough. When I play with my real 2600jr I only take out 4 games at a time, at the most. So for 29.95 this is ok indeed.

Adding an external cart slot,...that's in the dream box for the moment. It would be nice though because then it would get around the copyright issue and Pac Man jr and other non Atari owned titles could be played by inserting an old cart. Perhaps someone could now write Super Pac Man for the 2600?

Still, can you imagine anyone going to this trouble for any other old console? The 2600 is the world's No. 1 old console. With the Flashback 2.0 it has finally beaten NES through mini me reincarnation. :D

I wonder which version of Pac Man will be packed in. Sure would be nice if one of the hacks of Ms Pac Man was in there instead of the bonk-bonk-beep version. Most likely Ms Pac or Jr Pac will be in there tho.

Ditto for me on the switches. They should be at least silver or grey. They look like pushbuttons.

The new CX40's will probably use newer carbon pad switch technology too. That would be nice.

Yeah, I wasn't clear about the copyright issue. At present Atari can only put "Atari" owned games on the console, like Asteroids. But, if there was an external cart slot you could put in an old copy of Pac Man jr. and play that as well.

Adding a slot doesn't affect copyright law in any way...it just voids the warrenty.

846364[/snapback]

Something I plan to do pretty quickly if possible. Well Ill be going the portable route if there is a way to add a cart slot.

So do we know if the soilder points are there or not???? :?

Adding a slot doesn't affect copyright law in any way...it just voids the warrenty.

846364[/snapback]

Wouldn't that be funny if they started getting all these returns with half-assed cart connectors, color/bw switches, blue leds, and lcd tv screens?

"God d**mmit wasn't this thing marketed as standalone???!!!"

No one knows if there are just solder points or if there is a cartridge slot on the inside, but I am betting on solder points. If so, if I can get a bunch of cartridge connectors, I'm sure I can do a few for people ;)

846457[/snapback]

I wouldn't say that nobody knows, just that nobody's talking just yet. :)

..Al

846364[/snapback]

Wouldn't that be funny if they started getting all these returns with half-assed cart connectors, color/bw switches, blue leds, and lcd tv screens?

"God d**mmit wasn't this thing marketed as standalone???!!!"

846441[/snapback]

*raises hand for Blue LED's and LCD TV Screen*

:D

Yes, I plan on making a portable out of this thing. We'll see how far I get :D

Interesting little article that's related to the Flashback 2.0. No new info on it really but read on for yourselves:

From http://www.gothamist.com/archives/2005/04/04/atari_2005.php

Atari 2005

Over the weekend student game design crews participated in Parsons Retro Redux. Essentially teams of students were locked in rooms with access to old video games for 24 hours hoping to produce as many games as possible around the retro technology of Atari's Flashback 2.0 game console.

Gothamist is fairly certain that a number of others unknowningly participated (ie: in their apartments, without any productive outcome) in this event over the weekend.

Retro Redux offers game aficionados a chance to create games of the future based on some of the most classic games of the past. One winning game design will be selected for possible inclusion on a future version of the Atari Flashback console. That winner will be announced TONIGHT from 5 to 7pm at the Lang Student Center, New School University [55 W. 13th street, 2nd floor]. So go check out what's new in retro! [via FreeNYC]

Posted by Jen Carlson in Event , Technology

"I wonder which version of Pac Man will be packed in. Sure would be nice if one of the hacks of Ms Pac Man was in there instead of the bonk-bonk-beep version. Most likely Ms Pac or Jr Pac will be in there tho."

Atari has relicensed some of this stuff to use? I hope its true.

This is a nifty item...

I must say that the first Flashback was a bit of a disappointment, but this one is sounding like the "real deal"... real games (not conversions) and DB9 controllers!

I may have to pick one of these up for the nephews!

Three (optimistic but still just a hair apprehensive) cheers for Infogrames!

Cheers!

Joey

846247[/snapback]

The Flashback 1 used DB9s too.

They just weren't 2600/7800-compatible DB9s.

Awesome...

It's really cool to see Curts name up on the Atari site as well!

(Congrats man!)

I just wonder if the proposed under $30 holds true... remember the original Flashback was supposed to be under $40 but sold for $59.99. (ouch, didn't get one).

I'm really surprised they sold half a million original flashback units... but it's good news!

(now the 2nd coming!)

Unless I misunderstand what I've heard thus far, the "2600-on-a-chip" inside the Flashback 2.0 isn't the same one that was posted about by the same Atari enthusiast who was developing it, and later either licensed or sold what he had developed. This is an entirely new 2600-on-a-chip, and who knows as a result if you can even use Atari carts with it, even if you could sauter a cart port to the innerds of this tiny thing?

I do like that it supports real paddles and joysticks, at any rate.

anything is possible dude, give me a sauderer and a the schematics for it, ill make it talk, walk, and play like the orrigional 2600. one more thing, where can i get a cart port???

846835[/snapback]

Off an old 2600? Kinda like reusing old games for new homebrews :?: :D

I probably won't buy this one (I might though, either for myself or as a present), but if the next one has a place to insert cartridges, I'll buy it without a second thought. I will drag out my old cartridges and stop using an emulator for the first time in many years. I might even start collecting again to get a few of the cartridges I don't have anymore.

No soldering for me, just give me the next version and I'll open my wallet immediately.