IGNORED

Was Slendour by Bomb ever released?

Foxsolo2000

Was Splendour by Bomb ever released? I possess a Bomb catalogue which shows all the games including a picture of the game in question but was it ever released or even finished. Some prototypes did make it out to the open market such as Pizza Chef and Fire Spinner so the question arises did Splendour ever recieve the same treatment.

Secondly after reading the debates on Turbo does anyone actually know if the 2600 version was ever started, let alone finished? I owned the Intellivision version which was incredibly rare for that particular system which led to the question arising of was the 2600 version third in line to be developed before the plug was pulled for the Colecovision and Intellivision versions were the only ones that were released.

Thirdly does anyone know how the 2600 version of The Fall Guy would have panned out and if it was ever started? Again I owned the Colecovision version which again was incredibly rare even for that system. It was a driving game and in the ABC to the VCS by Leonard Herman he actually wrote a description of the 2600 version so I was wondering where he got his information from?

Was Splendour by Bomb ever released? 

No. No prototype has turned up yet either.

Secondly after reading the debates on Turbo does anyone actually know if the 2600 version was ever started, let alone finished? 

I read somewhere that someone talked to a Coleco employee who said it was scrapped because they couldn't do the scenes where there is ocean on one side of the screen and a wall on the other (because of the 2600's mirroring capabilities both sides must look the same unless you want to do some serious coding). However this is an unconfirmed rumor. Atari picked up the title with the intent to release it, so my guess is that it actually was completed.

Thirdly does anyone know how the 2600 version of The Fall Guy would have panned out and if it was ever started? 

From the flyer that was found, it would have been a renamed version of Squish 'em which was released on the Atari 400/800, Colecovision, and Vic-20. Most of the early TCF games were just renamed Sirius games. I don't know if coding was ever started, but my guess would be yes.

Tempest

I forgot about Atari having a go doing Turbo themselves.  I also read that they acquired the rights to do Zaxxon as well.  Was either one attempted or finished?

845776[/snapback]

They weren't making their own versions, they were re-releasing the Coleco versions. Q*Bert, Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr and Mouse Trap were the only ones that got re-released. Zaxxon and Turbo did not. Interesting Frogger was also planned as a re-release.

Tempest

• 1 month later...

So Tempest, was that Atari planned release of Turbo meant to be what a direct conversion of what CBS created or was there still work to done to it which would explain why Atari never released under their red label?

All the games that Atari acquired from Coleco would have most likely been complete. At that time Atari was looking for quick library filler, I doubt they would have taken a half completed game. However I cant say for sure, I suppose its possible.

Tempest

Interesting idea. Would you say then that that theory would lend weight to the claim that the game was indeed finished if Atari was looking to add it to their own title list? If it was finished why has it never be seen again? Do you think someone is deliberately hiding it or it was simply lost?

• 3 months later...

Bomb and On Base Co. are the same.

Cheers,

Marco

Tempest, came across a website the other day that had Splendour listed but the company was by On Base Co.  Could this be the Bomb release but under some obscure company like Fire spinner and Pizza Chef?

933274[/snapback]