IGNORED

Frogger, first playable demo

Schmutzpuppe

Not bad, though it will be very hard to beat SHL's version.

A homebrewer vs one of the best third parties, and this was the homebrewer's product...

Very nice.

I think it needs an original label.

892062[/snapback]

SHL's version of what? SHL never made games for the 7800.

OK, so here the deal:

POKEY SOUNDS AWESOME!!!!!!!! Great job.

Also - as for the colors, here's a fwe screenshots to help you decide:

The Old 7800 Frogger demo (48k TIA sound):

The New Frogger Demo(Pokey sound from today):

Arcade Frogger:

Looks pretty darn perfect to me.

The only think I noticed that was out of place was the lack of a sound effect for when the frog reaches the lilypad at the top. I did hear an audible "pop" like it was looking for a sound it couldn't find.

post-4769-1121473774_thumb.jpg

post-4769-1121473824_thumb.jpg

post-4769-1121473863_thumb.png

A homebrewer vs one of the best third parties, and this was the homebrewer's product...

Very nice.

892062[/snapback]

892112[/snapback]

I'm talking about the Starpath version. It's playable thanks to backwards compatibility.

OK, so here the deal:

POKEY SOUNDS AWESOME!!!!!!!! Great job.

Also - as for the colors, here's a fwe screenshots to help you decide:

Thanks for the screenshots and testing.

As I can see the pictures are from Prosystem Emu does the colors look similar on the NTSC 7800 or do you also have PAL?

Looks pretty darn perfect to me.

The only think I noticed that was out of place was the lack of a sound effect for when the frog reaches the lilypad at the top. I did hear an audible "pop" like it was looking for a sound it couldn't find.

892505[/snapback]

Oh there are more sounds missing:

The sound when you jump on the lady frog.

Noise of the fast cars (currently the cars didn't speed up).

Different sound if you fall into the water.

Timer sound.

The sound of the snake (which is very annoying if you ask me so I am not sure if I implement it) and of course all other in game music.

Still some work left...

Very nice.

892062[/snapback]

892112[/snapback]

I'm talking about the Starpath version. It's playable thanks to backwards compatibility.

892519[/snapback]

In the old days I played the parker Frogger a lot which was great fun.

I took a look at the Starpath version and it's really cool (much better than the parker one) but you can "only" compare it in gameplay.

A native 7800 version should look much better than a vcs version of course so a compare wouldn't be fair I think.

Thanks for the screenshots and testing.

As I can see the pictures are from Prosystem Emu does the colors look similar on the NTSC 7800 or do you also have PAL?

Oh there are more sounds missing:

The sound when you jump on the lady frog.

Noise of the fast cars (currently the cars didn't speed up).

Different sound if you fall into the water.

Timer sound.

The sound of the snake (which is very annoying if you ask me so I am not sure if I implement it) and of course all other in game music.

Still some work left...

892529[/snapback]

Colors in Prosystem Emu are nearly exact to how it looks on the NTSC 7800 using a CC2. The only major difference I noticed was that the Green at the lily pad area is a little too pastel or faded, and some of the browns appear kind of pinkish, but overall it's not even noticable unless you really look closely.

Also the alligator in teh top row of logs is missing too, but still it's coming along very nicely.

Very nice.

892062[/snapback]

892112[/snapback]

892519[/snapback]

Really? I wasn't aware of that. Thanks. :roll:

I hate to say it, but your comparing of a 2600 version of Frogger, even the rather excellent Starpath version negatively to this one, which is 7800, with pokey, in hi-res 320 mode, is like saying a Ford Pinto is better than a Dodge Viper.

Really? I wasn't aware of that. Thanks.  :roll:

If you unplug the 7800 power adaptor from the wall and insert a metal object instead, you will be shocked.

I hate to say it, but your comparing of a 2600 version of Frogger, even the rather excellent Starpath version negatively to this one, which is 7800, with pokey, in hi-res 320 mode, is like saying a Ford Pinto is better than a Dodge Viper.

We're not working with the original Viper, though, are we?

Schmutzpuppe has created a good replica of the "Viper".

In all fairness, with added RAM and ROM both, we're not exactly talking about a Pinto here, either.

I played his game, and it was decent.

I, however, spent hours in front of both the arcade Frogger and the Starpath Frogger. In that case, superior hardware made no difference. SHL's game got right down to business, and was insanely more addictive than the arcade.

The screen is not cluttered, you can set difficulty, and I liked the music a lot better.

Schmutzpuppe has created an arcade port, that by its very nature, is based on a version that I think has been bested.

Tell me, have you ever sat down with an actual Supercharger and played SHL's version of Frogger?

An emulator doesnt cut it. One has to play the actual game.

Compared to what I've seen, Starpath's frogger is smoother and a lot less crowded. It's also a good deal harder, too.

It will be the version I play when my own 7800 arrives in the mail.

If you cut C64 from the 7800's motherboard, it will allow use of the Supercharger, and thus allow you to play Frogger.

In spite of that, I am all for the release of Schmutzpuppe's Frogger port.

It will work without mods or extra equipment on a stock 7800.

It's identical to the arcade (though I don't feel like the arcade was the best version) and arcade ports are a staple for most systems I buy.

If he uses the Pokey chip, it'll add another game to the 7800 library that takes advantage of what the 7800 should have had built in for a sound chip (but didn't).

Finally, it's familiar. I imagine most Frogger players know the arcade version pretty well, so they will be able to grab this game and play without any trouble at all.

Anyway, I didn't make it clear that it's my opinion that SHL's Frogger is the best version in existence. I think the arcade is a close second, well, til this cart is produced. Portability will rule over any arcade cabinet.

I fully intended to state the obvious a couple of times in this post. My first comment about backward compatibility was to indicate that Starpaths Frogger is indeed a 7800 compatible game, and thus relevant in a 7800 forum.

That's a nice little detailed explanation there, but had you read back in the thread a bit, you'd see that it was a bit unnecessary, as most of the people here are more than well acquainted with the 7800's backwards compatibility, the Starpath Supercharger, etc.

I, as do many of the people on this forum and participating in beta testing this game, have CuttleCart 2's, which is a Multi-cart for the 7800 that allows you to store every 2600 & 7800 game combined on a MMC card, so that they can be played on a REAL 7800 hardware, not just emulators. You might want to pick one up so that you can see the difference between the Starpath version, and this one one ACTUAL hardware.

And this game is FAR from finished. So judging it against another game, is a bit premature. But I understand your opinion.

Well, I'm still waiting for the 7800 to arrive in the mail.

Cuttle Cart 2 is nice, and something I want to get, but I will wait a while. I've researched quite a bit. When I do buy CC2, I will want to buy a 32MB MMC and a loose pokey, cause I hate the idea of ruining a working BallBlazer or Commando cart.

Right now, my video gaming money is spent on the 7800, almost 70 games, and a Supercharger. For what it's worth, there's a copy of Frogger in the bunch. (It got played via Stella). Although some of the hardware/software I buy will wind up costing a bunch, I don't want to make big purchases like the CC2 every other week.

I didn't factor in the sound from this version because I can't hear it on the ProSystem emu, and it's not, in fact hardware.

My knowledge of the arcade is much better, though.

I'm simply giving out my opinion. Schmutz has a good port, one that I'll get on a dedicated cart when I can, but I think there's better.

He's definitely got the Untouchables's Apple version beat along with Parker Brothers (no comments on that rubbish) and maybe even Sega/Gremlin themselves.

Cuttle Cart 2 was the best investment I ever made in video gaming, hands down.

On top of being able to play every existing released game (except Pitfall II, the only one that doesn't work in a CC2), you can play all the homebrews, 2600 or 7800. There is no otehr cart in the world, regardlesss of it's rarity, that is worth that.

And if you haven't already, check out some of the other 7800 homebrews/hacks that are being developed here.

7800 Beef Drop is Kenfused' version of Burgertime. It's nearly arecade perfect. Ken's also got a Work in Progress 7800 Q-Bert that is phenominal.

And in the "hacks" forum, PMP has hacked 7800 Ms. Pac-Man into the original Pac-Man, which for my money, is actually BETTER than the original 7800 Ms. Pac. But then he took it a step further and made all the Pac-Man off-shoots too, like Pac-Man Plus, Ultra Pac, Hangly-Man and Ms. Pac-Attack.

IF ever there were a single reason to invest in a CC2, well here's 5 or 6.

Oh yeah, and then there's all the 2600 hacks and Homebrews. I won't even go there. The list is enormous.

892804[/snapback]

Agreed. I wish I had a CC2 type device for every platform I own. Chad delivered a engineering masterpiece with the CC2. It is so well built, and so easy to use and makes the process of retrogaming effortless. Though $200 for a single item isn't exactly cheap, after I used the CC2 for the first time I felt like I still owed Chad money - it's that good.

I can pick up the 7800 and one cart and travel anywhere with it and still be able to play every 2600/7800 game when I get there. Even my friends who aren't technical are amazed by it.

I consider it such an important piece of my retro collection that I bought a spare, just in case (god forbid) my first one is ever damaged :)

Yeah, I really would like to own a CC2.

My thing is that I've already spent quite a bit on video games this month. Although I could afford more than one CC2, I would like to keep my gaming purchases in a bit of moderation.

Perhaps next month, though.

• 4 weeks later...

On top of being able to play every existing released game (except Pitfall II, the only one that doesn't work in a CC2), you can play all the homebrews, 2600 or 7800. There is no otehr cart in the world, regardlesss of it's rarity, that is worth that.

And if you haven't already, check out some of the other 7800 homebrews/hacks that are being developed here.

7800 Beef Drop is Kenfused' version of Burgertime. It's nearly arecade perfect. Ken's also got a Work in Progress 7800 Q-Bert that is phenominal.

And in the "hacks" forum, PMP has hacked 7800 Ms. Pac-Man into the original Pac-Man, which for my money, is actually BETTER than the original 7800 Ms. Pac. But then he took it a step further and made all the Pac-Man off-shoots too, like Pac-Man Plus, Ultra Pac, Hangly-Man and Ms. Pac-Attack.

Oh yeah, and then there's all the 2600 hacks and Homebrews. I won't even go there. The list is enormous.

892804[/snapback]

Maybe it's just me - but I think I'd rather own the physical cart than a rom.

892804[/snapback]

Maybe it's just me - but I think I'd rather own the physical cart than a rom.

910043[/snapback]

The CC2 IS a physical cart.