IGNORED

7800: Pac-Man Completed.

PacManPlus

I am SOOOOOOOO glad I bought a CC2.

I was going to ask about someone trying this hack in the 7800 forum.

Here'a stupid question - what tools are you using to disassemble this game to hack it? How are you making the changes? I messed around with some of the 2600 hacking programs a while ago, but if you could post a link to whatever you're using for this, that would be awesome.

If I can figure it out, I want to try tackling a Hack of Desert Falcon into Zaxxon.

Here'a  stupid question - what tools are you using to disassemble this game to hack it? How are you making the changes? I messed around with some of the 2600 hacking programs a while ago, but if you could post a link to whatever you're using for this, that would be awesome.

If I can figure it out, I want to try tackling a Hack of Desert Falcon into Zaxxon.

853979[/snapback]

Doing a hack like that or even the hack Bob is doing would require one to go beyond using a tool like Hack-O-Matic. You would have to change the graphics and the code.

Distella was recomplied some years ago to allow you to disassemble 7800 games. It does a good job too. There will be a lot more manual interaction on your part with a 7800 game vs. a 2600 game to get a clean listing though.

BTW, Curt released an early version of the source to Desert Falcon so that could help you make a clean listing of the released one.

Thanks Debro - you pretty much explained it. Distella is a wonderful tool! :)

With that said, here is the next version.

The following has been fixed:

1) Strawberry is now 300 points.

2) The Pink in the PacMan logo has been changed to blue.

3) Adjusted the appearance time of the fruit according to Debro's calculations ;)

4) Left Difficulty switch: 'A' = 3 lives, 'B' = 5 lives NOTE: For some reason this only seems to work in emulators. On the real thing, you only get 5 lives... Does any one know why?

5) Right Difficulty switch... :?: :arrow: :cool:

6) Inky and Pinky's Colors have been slightly darkened

7) Death Animation has been changed

8) Monsters now cannot go up above the monster pen and where pac starts (unless they are blue) ;)

Still To Do:

1) Sounds (can you tell I'm scared of that one?) :)

2) Intermissions still messed up.

3) Show multiple keys in level indicator.

4) Little cleanups here and there...

Enjoy!

PAC78.ZIP

Edited by PacManPlus

I think I actually better spill the beans on this one, because some of the 7800 emulators start with both difficulty switches in the 'A' position:

The Right difficulty switch:

'B' Position - Normal 'Pac-Man' maze

'A' Position - 'New Puck X' maze

A pretty cool side effect of this is that you can change the switch between boards and have the maze change as well within the same game :)

@Corey:

I know I keep saying this, but I think it's time I bought some blank labels from you... Just a quick check, but do you have templates for MS Publisher?

Bob

Edited by PacManPlus

Hey!

This is what I used as a template:

Player 1 switch:

LDA $0282

AND #$80

BEQ (Jump to Code for 'B' Difficulty Section)

(Code for 'A' Difficulty Section)

This one seems to work on a real 7800

Player 2 switch:

LDA $0282

AND #$40 (I've also tried #$20)

This one always seems to return 'B' difficulty - but only on a real 7800. It works correctly in emulators :?

Thanks, Ken

Hey!

Player 1 switch:

LDA $0282

AND #$80

Player 2 switch:

LDA $0282

This one always seems to return 'B' difficulty - but only on a real 7800.  It works correctly in emulators  :?

Thanks, Ken

854345[/snapback]

Player 2 difficulty switch seems to work fine on my 7800 using a CC2.

If I flip the switch and reset for a new game I get the other maze.

--Ken

This should work just as well and save ROM space:

Player 1 switch:

LDA $0282

BPL (Jump to Code for 'B' Difficulty Section)

Player 2 switch:

LDA $0282

ASL

BPL (Jump to Code for 'B' Difficulty Section)

This will also work with player 2, but programmers seem uncomfortable with it for some reason:

ASL $0282

BPL ...

EDIT: just noticed post in another category using BIT $0282, then BVC, BCC, etc... this might be a better way than I suggested since it doesn't modify the accumulator.

Edited by batari

I think I actually better spill the beans on this one, because some of the 7800 emulators start with both difficulty switches in the 'A' position:

854332[/snapback]

I was wonderin' why I was getting a weird maze in ProSystem! Cool to have two mazes for the game!

:thumbsup:

Thu May 12, 2005 11:20 PM]

--Ken

854349[/snapback]

This doesn't seem to be working in my CC2. difficulty switches seem to have no effect on the game at all, and it's permanently set to 5 lives and New Puck-X maze.

grumble grumble.

Hey!

Player 1 switch:

LDA $0282

AND #$80

Player 2 switch:

LDA $0282

This one always seems to return 'B' difficulty - but only on a real 7800.  It works correctly in emulators  :?

Thanks, Ken

854345[/snapback]

--Ken

854349[/snapback]

Sorry Ken, I had it reversed - Player 2's switch works - it's player 1 that doesn't. (or both for Danno) :(

I'll try Batari's code found a few posts up...

Thanks!

Bob

Cool Labels Atariboy! :D

Edited by PacManPlus

It's weird. It works great in MESS and Prosystem, but I get nothing on my real 7800 with my CC2. I even just flashed the CC2 to the latest Beta OS, but still nothing.

But the difficulty switches work fine for all the other games and all of the games on my CC2, like Xevious (Switches fire controls from Dual to separated), So I know it's not just a bum console.

Won't work for me on the CC2 either. I wonder if the banking is causing the problem? The original Ms. Pac-Man is a high score cart game so the CC2 banking is HSC_16K. The only other one I've tried was 78SC_LOW, but it didn't work....

854605[/snapback]

I tried that too. I tried the 78SC_16K (because the rom is 16K) but to no avail. I just get a garbled rolling screen after the BIOS.

Is there a banking file for normal 16K games that doesn't call for the HSC?

Damn. And I changed the name from MSPACMAN to PACMAN in the high score routine... I guess that wasn't enough. I'll look at it again.

As far as the BIOS thing - I don't know why it doesn't work with the normal BIOS. Like I stated in an earlier e-mail, I ran it through A78SIGN and forced it to write a new key signature. It did do that, but it still won't run unless you choose 78QUICK :(

I'm wondering if that has something to do with the problem of the difficulty switches... I don't see how, but... Let me try the alternate way of reading them that batari posted. Unfortunately I don't think I can use the code that's in the programming forum, because I need to read them separately (it looks like you have to read them both at the same time there)...

Let me see what I can come up with...

Bob

Are you using 78QUICK or HSCQUICK? 78BIOS doesn't work.

I noticed that the HSC code in the Pacman hack works, though it still shows my high scores from Ms Pac.

Mitch

854725[/snapback]

I was using 78Quick. Should I use HSCQUICK?

854786[/snapback]

78QUICK should work fine. I guess your problem is something different.

Mitch

Regarding the High Score Cart...

Just as a side note, it looks like the ID number (2 bytes) is what tells this apart from the other cartridges... Does anyone know what ID numbers are already used?

It looks like MSPacman is $80 $01

Thanks

Edited by PacManPlus

It looks like a flag is being used at $A5 for the left difficulty switch. Is this an existing or new variable? Is it being initialized at startup.

As for the HSC, change the values at $E970/$E971 (offset $2970/$2971) to some unique value not used in any other game (wonder if there is a list of these)

It looks like a flag is being used at $A5 for the left difficulty switch.  Is this an existing or new variable?  Is it being initialized at startup.

As for the HSC, change the values at $E970/$E971 (offset $2970/$2971) to some unique value not used in any other game (wonder if there is a list of these)

854964[/snapback]

Hmm looks like I took to long to post that :-)

Beef Drop uses $22, $DC

--Ken

It looks like a flag is being used at $A5 for the left difficulty switch.  Is this an existing or new variable?  Is it being initialized at startup.

854964[/snapback]

Hmm looks like I took to long to post that :-)

Beef Drop uses $22, $DC

--Ken

854965[/snapback]

Of course, you should probably add more levels (don't remember how that works), or a different entry for 5 vs. 3 lives. And maybe for the alternate maze :)

Hi Ken:

That's odd... I'm using the right difficulty switch (Player 2) to determine the Rack (which is $A5) 'B' is Rack 0 (regular maze) and 'A' is Rack 1 (New Puck-X maze)

The left switch (Player 1) is for the number of lives, and is the routine immediately following the one you must have been looking at... :)

As far as the HSC ID, I think I'll Pick $19 $80 :D

Bob

Just read your post above about adding things to the HSC like maze selection and the like... I'll add it to my list :P

Edited by PacManPlus