IGNORED

7800: Pac-Man Completed.

PacManPlus

3) Get the correct signature key so it works on a reall 7800 without the 'QUICK' option (NOTE: I have no clue how to do this - if *anyone* can help with this, it would be great)

857187[/snapback]

This is an easy one, it's the same problem as 7800 Frogger. You're only signing the A78 file and not the bin. You are probably using Dan's Make.bat file, right? Try deleting the header from the A78 file and renaming it to bin, that should fix it. :)

Mitch

857298[/snapback]

Oh and incidentally, if you are doing a game that is smaller then 64K and are using Dan's make.bat file, do yourself a favor and edit the bat file from:

dasm 7800demo.s -f3  -o7800demo.bin -l7800demo.lst 
78hdr 7800demo.bin 7800demo.a78 0000
a78sign -f 7800demo.a78 
copy 7800demo.a78 d:\7800dev\software\a7800

to this

dasm 7800demo.s -f3  -o7800demo.bin -l7800demo.lst 
a78sign -f 7800demo.bin
78hdr 7800demo.bin 7800demo.a78 0000
copy 7800demo.a78 d:\7800dev\software\a7800

That way both the bin and A78 files will be signed. :)

Mitch

Here is V.6 of 7800 Pac-Man

There are three issues left to deal with:

1) Intermissions :(

2) Show Multiple Keys after you pass the first key

3) Get the correct signature key so it works on a reall 7800 without the 'QUICK' option (NOTE: I have no clue how to do this - if *anyone* can help with this, it would be great)

Issues fixed in this version:

1) The score is no longer  / 10.  It seems the ID number has something to do with it.  Once I changed it from $19 $80 to $82 $01, the score showed up correctly again. (The original Ms. Pac-Man is $80 $01)

2) All sounds should be correct (or close enough), including the speeding up of the siren as you get closer to the end of a rack.

3) The 'Ready' and 'Game Over' colors have been changed to Yellow like the arcade

Please let me know if there are any issues other than the ones I noted above :)

Thanks!

Bob

857187[/snapback]

Dude,this is AWESOME!!!!!!Great job!!A couple things I noticed.In the Puck X maze,didnt an intermission come after every level (eventually the 3rd intermission repeating over and over)?And I noticed the score font still looks and sounds like Ms.Pac-Man's when you eat a ghost.I also noticed that Pac-Man starts out with his mouth open when before game begins.I dont meat to notice the small stuff,but this is still an AWESOME job!!!!!!!!!!!!

857314[/snapback]

Mitch - Thank you so much for that - I will give it a shot!

Hey Breakpack! Thanks for the kind words - your enthusiasm is wonderful :)

I just played New-Puck-X in MAME, and the intermissions were set up the same way as normal Pac-Man... Although who knows, there may be another version out there...

Ms.Pac-Man and Pac-Man use the same sounds for eating a monster, the 'bonus life' sound, and the 'eating fruit' sound. :) As far as the score font, the reason why I kept it the same (I actually did start to try and change it) is because it's only 1 sprite wide (which is why the numbers are bunched together like that). When I did Pac Plus on the 5200, it was actually two characters wide so you can make it look correct. So I'm stuck with that. :-/

I forgot about the beginning mouth position of Pac-Man - I will fix that.

Thanks!

Bob

As far as the score font, the reason why I kept it the same (I actually did start to try and change it) is because it's only 1 sprite wide (which is why the numbers are bunched together like that).  When I did Pac Plus on the 5200, it was actually two characters wide so you can make it look correct.  So I'm stuck with that. :-/

I'm curious if this relates to the player score on top as well as the points displayed on the maze field. When you chomp a monster or fruit on the playfield, the points awarded display horizontally instead of diagonally in Pac-Man. Currently in your hack they're still displaying diagonally.

Is there anyway of retaining font size and one character space, while repositioning diagonal points to display as horizontal?

-Trebor

About the making the Inky blue. I took a screenshot and I looked closely at the eyes of the ghosts. The color of the eyes is perfect for Inky's color but it might look a little odd if Inky had that color and his eye color stayed the same. So I suggest changing the eye colors to indigo. It's the same color as the maze and the blue ghosts.

Here's an edited screenshot to help show my point.

post-4750-1116438843_thumb.jpg

Trebor:

I'm not following you completely here - the player's score on the top of the screen doesn't have anything to do with the point value that's displayed when you eat a ghost... (?) The point value displayed was kept diagonal because it won't fit straight across. We only have 8 bits to work with to fit a three/four digit number bitmap in. When I was doing Pac Man Plus on the 5200, we had 16 bits to work with. I think we are stuck with what we have as far as the displayed point value when you eat a monster / fruit.

Bakasama:

Keep in mind that the colors on a real 7800 connected to a TV are different than an emulator (the real tv looks better). The emulator isn't 100% accurate with the colors. On the real thing, the colors are actaully pretty close to correct.

Thanks for the feedback guys! :)

Edited by PacManPlus

The point value displayed was kept diagonal because it won't fit straight across.  We only have 8 bits to work with to fit a three/four digit number bitmap in.  When I was doing Pac Man Plus on the 5200, we had 16 bits to work with.  I think we are stuck with what we have as far as the displayed point value when you eat a monster / fruit.

Thanks. The above answered exactly what I was inquiring about. I'm sorry my question was a little confusing.

No need to thank me(us) for feedback. I'm grateful for the hack and even more so for your graciousness in providing it to us, and your willingness and friendliness in considering and answering the post concerning your hack.

Thanks again, PacmanPlus! You're doing outstanding work!

-Trebor

You guys are so nice :)

I knew someone was going to bring up the yellow 'Game Over' :-P

Ok - here's the story with that: For the background screen I have three colors to work with: Blue, Yellow and white. (Originally for Ms Pac-Man it was for the border of the maze, the filler (inside) of the maze, and white.

I had to actually change the bit map of the maze to be the background color, so I can make the letters yellow (if you notice in Ms.PacMan, the letters are the same color as the maze border).

The letters are all one color because they are made up of the same character set. If I change the color of one phrase (PLAYER 1, for instance) the other color will change as well (GAME OVER). So, I opted for the brighter color.

Sorry about that one (it seems we're zero for three here) :(

BTW, I was able to make Pac-Man have a closed mouth at the beginning of the level :ponder:

I also fixed the signature so it will work on a real 7800, thanks to Mitch :)

Thanks again,

Bob

Ahh, PMP - no worries. I just noticed it when I checked out the arcade version in mame to look at the Inky color. White is just fine. Looks fantastic, actually.

Seems to me - besides the intermission animations, this puppy's just about done.

Here's a question - I know you're a Pac-MAn afficianado - but what to you know about Donkey Kong? (My Second Favorite game from the Classic Era)

I'm just wondering if we can find a way to hack that missing 4th screen (the Pie Factory) into the 7800 version.

Anyone? Bueller?

Bakasama:

Keep in mind that the colors on a real 7800 connected to a TV are different than an emulator (the real tv looks better).  The emulator isn't 100% accurate with the colors.  On the real thing, the colors are actaully pretty close to correct.

Thanks for the feedback guys! :)

857582[/snapback]

OH that explains why I use MacMESS, the doesn't colors don't look right. (magenta colored people in Double Dragon?!) Unfortunately, in my case I don't have any choice of 7800 emulators for the Mac. I believe emulating the 7800 in MESS is fairly recent.

Hey Danno:

Unfortunately, the only game(s) I know from top to bottom (without knowing the actual code) is the early Pac-Man Series (Pac, Ms, Hangly, Puck, Plus)

I'm not anywhere near as familiar with Donkey Kong as I am with these... :(

UPDATE:

Got the level indicator on the bottom to show correctly for the keys (it was also only showing 6 levels, not 7 - my boo boo)

Fixed the Galaxian color as well.

Now if I could only figure out the intermissions, I'll be done! :)

(Hopefully soon)

There is one thing I know will be different with the intermissions. The 'Super Pac-Man' in the first intermission will be normal size. I just don't have the data space or tthe know-how to make him big. Apparently you can't just make a sprite 2x the size like you can with the 2600. :(

I'll be back!

Edited by PacManPlus

There is one thing I know will be different with the intermissions.  The 'Super Pac-Man' in the first intermission will be normal size.  I just don't have the data space or tthe know-how to make him big.  Apparently you can't just make a sprite 2x the size like you can with the 2600. :(

I'll be back!

858038[/snapback]

You can set the width to be twice as wide, if you have space to store the additional graphics. Taller sprites for the intermission could probably be achieved by using a "couple" sprites one above the other without changing the engine (I currently do this for Coily in my Q*bert game). If Ms. Pacman is only 16K, why not just increase it to be 32K?

*UPDATE*

I have most of the Intermissions working - just need to do some clean up. I can't believe I got them going this fast. :rolling:

Ken:

Thanks for the info - but I found out how to use 4 sprites in a block; the only thing is that they need to be together with the other bitmaps, and I have no room there (I would have to start moving code) :( I'm going to try and figure something out

The next binary posted will be a Release Candidate.

Albert! We need a 7800 Hack page :grin:

Bob

post-1787-1116559637_thumb.jpg

Edited by PacManPlus

This is one of the best "hacks" I've seen. It's hard to believe you started with Ms. Pac-man. I mean this "hack" is probably a better version than what Atari would have put out if they had they coded it from scratch.

Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing!

Wow - thanks ericd, very nice compliments! :)

I was able to get the 'Super Pac-Man' in the first Intermission by moving the death sequence to another area. (I called those bitmaps absolutely instead of with an offset, so they were easy to relocate). That gave me just enough space to add the large pac and Blinky with the torn sheet. :)

I just have three little things to look at, and then I should be posting the

binary either tonight or tomorrow. :)

thanks everyone!

Bob

This is one of the best "hacks" I've seen. It's hard to believe you started with Ms. Pac-man. I mean this "hack" is probably a better version than what Atari would have put out if they had they coded it from scratch.

Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing!

858710[/snapback]

That was my thought(s) exactly. Anything anyone has does with any game - Any hack - Is a heck of a lot more than I have done or can do. However, some hacks are just so much more impressive than others, IMHO.

Quite frankly, this appears as more of its "own game" then a hack of another. Really, an impressive job. Excellent work, PacManPlus!

-Trebor

TOTALLY AWESOME!!!You are the MAN!!!!!!!The only thing I notice is when the ghosts go thru the side doors,they slow down only briefly (I guess it still registers as a short side door like Ms.Pac instead of the longer side door of Pac-Man).Maybe its the emulator Im running (Prosystem)but I have to hold down the F6 key (which is one of the difficulty switches)to play the regular board at the beginning or clearing of a level.Again,it's prolly the emulator issue,but this KICKS @$$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Breakpack

OK - This is the one I'm going with (unless someone points out an issue)

Version .7

Should be complete :) 

Let me know if you guys find anything.

859279[/snapback]

Wow - I mean *really* wow. Everything look and plays beautifully. Including the great work you've done with the Intermissions. Just excellent, PacManPlus! Thank you, thank you, thank you, for sharing and allowing us to play this fantastic "hack" (Even though it doesn't even appear as one). This game really shines.

-Trebor