IGNORED

Boulder Dash®

nothing would legally happen if you release it I don't think. Look at all the "illegal games" that are out now and I never heard of nobody getting into any trouble for it, not once.
First Star Software is still producing BoulderDash games and is VERY interested in protecting the franchise, and I don't think they'd appreciate an "unauthorized" version even if the name/graphics were changed. Besides, First Star seems to be willing to work with classic game enthusiasts (didn't they authorize the port of Atari 400/800 BoulderDash to the 5200?), so it's best not to antagonize them.

do you have any idea how many direct rip offs of boulder dash there are? it boggles the mind. first star could probably end poverty world-wide if they started sueing all the games that are identical to boulder dash but with a name change (emerald mines, prospector in the mazes of xor, crystal mines, etc etc etc etc etc etc (to the power of etc.))

I don't understand First Star's position on this matter. For one thing, there's no harm that could come to the Boulderdash franchise or image by having a 2600 version out there. Only 2600 enthusiasts are going to even know (or care) about its existence anyway, so even if the 2600's capabilities aren't in keeping with their standards, it's not like everyone on the planet is going to see screenshots of it and assume that's what Boulderdash looks like in all of its incarnations. Also, there's no real money for anyone to make off of it, since the market for 2600 homebrews (even phenomenally successful ones) numbers only in the hundreds anyway. So it's not like Andrew is trying to take unfair advantage of them somehow.

On the other hand, it would be great publicity for First Star amongst the classic/retro gaming community for there to be a 2600 version, because it would make them seem more like a supporter than an opponent. Personally, I've never played Boulderdash, and the only way I'd be likely to is on the 2600. Perhaps though, if I enjoyed that version enough, I'd seek out versions for my other systems. As it is now, I have no plans to pick up the game at all. (Although it seems pretty obvious First Star doesn't give a rat's rear-end what I think.)

I don't understand First Star's position on this matter.

Please don't make assumptions about First Star's position. Our discussions were very amicable, and they're nice to talk to. We just never came to a formal arrangement and agreement where this version could be released.

Cheers

A

I don't understand First Star's position on this matter.

Please don't make assumptions about First Star's position. Our discussions were very amicable, and they're nice to talk to. We just never came to a formal arrangement and agreement where this version could be released.

Cheers

A

So in other words, you are too much of a hardass about it? :ponder:

Fair enough. But it's easy to jump to conclusions when you have no other information to go by. ;)

• 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...