IGNORED

Best Hack Ever

sandmountainslim

What do you think is the best hack ever?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think is the best hack ever?

• Berzerk VE
    • Hack 'Em
    • Pac Man Arcade
    • Venture 2
    • Venture 3
    • Adventure Plus
    • Wolfenstein 2600
    • I refuse to say until Fonz has been created

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I'm kind of a newcomer to the Hacks scene, thought I'd make some covenient links...

Bezerk VE - Bezerk plus Voice!

Hack'Em - Pesco to Pac-Man

Pac Man Arcade - Ms Pac-Man to Pac-Man

Venture II - Venture Modified

Venture 3 - 3rd level for Venture

Adventure Plus - Adventure Enhanced

Wolfenstein 2600 - Venture to Castle Wolfenstein

Fonz - no link yet?

I got the impression Fonz is the person creating the "best hack ever". :)

Or was that what you were assuming?

851781[/snapback]

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=F&game_id=7836

Fonz could someday be the greatest hack of all time as well as the greatest 2600 game of all time, unfortunately progress is being held up on this masterpiece by the lack of anyone attempting to work on it :(

I'm partial to Nukey's Pac Man hack (whatever it is called..I can't recall).

851668[/snapback]

The one made from Atari's version is just Pacman8k...never considered to use a different name for it. The one made from Ebivision's version is Hack'Em.

I got the impression Fonz is the person creating the "best hack ever". :)

Or was that what you were assuming?

851781[/snapback]

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=F&game_id=7836

Fonz could someday be the greatest hack of all time as well as the greatest 2600 game of all time, unfortunately progress is being held up on this masterpiece by the lack of anyone attempting to work on it :(

851792[/snapback]

Ahh, okay, that clears some things up. :)

I don't follow...it's just a top-down racing game.  You could probably hack Enduro or something to be similar to it just by changing the car shapes :?

851799[/snapback]

My challenge still stands :)

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...view=getnewpost

I'd vote for NE146's Space Invaders hack if it were there...kinda paved the way for the rest of us ;)

http://www.atariage.com/hack_page.html?Sys...oftwareHackID=3

851309[/snapback]

lol you give me too much credit. :P YOU are the master of the hacks my friend :) I think you hold the record for the most tweaks and pokes to various games posted here that not even you know where or what all of it is.

As far as my votes for favorite hacks, man it's hard to choose, there are so many great ones. These ones are at the top of my mind at the moment show my bias toward arcade ports:

#1. Rob's Pacman from MsPac. It's the one that freaked us all out in the beginning

#2. Nukey's Pacman/Hanglyman from Pesco.. there is so much that is amazing about this hack.. all the little things and details in there.. and seeing it's progression is just all around 100% awesome.

#3. Nukey's 8k Pacman. One of the funnest hacks out there. I love how it transforms the original Pacman. Put this in your cuttlecart and confound a fellow casual Atari fan.

#4. Thomas' Asteroids hack.. it took my 'vector' Asteroids and upped it to the nTh level by finding code that put the extra ships display back on there, as well as made the asteroids move all over the place (as opposed to the crappy movement of the original). A favorite.

#5. Berzerk Voice. Just amazing. It doesn't change the gameplay much, but it's just an amazing feat all around. 100% 3l33t

#3. Nukey's 8k Pacman. One of the funnest hacks out there. I love how it transforms the original Pacman. Put this in your cuttlecart and confound a fellow casual Atari fan.

lol

Way ahead of ya there. Back in Dec., Al burned one for me. The first thing I did was head up to the Chatterbox Pub and swapped out the rom board with one of their copies of Pac-Man.

I hope I didn't start any drunken arguments ;)

I don't follow...it's just a top-down racing game.  You could probably hack Enduro or something to be similar to it just by changing the car shapes :?

851799[/snapback]

I had the exact same thought.

KLOV doesnt have any screenshots but the arcade manual does describe some bits of the gameplay.

Funny that it's measured in kilometers and not miles....

Edited by kisrael

#4. Thomas' Asteroids hack.. it took my 'vector' Asteroids and upped it to the nTh level by finding code that put the extra ships display back on there, as well as made the asteroids move all over the place (as opposed to the crappy movement of the original). A favorite.

Thanks for the compliment. Especially from you.

BTW: My personal favourite (of my own hacks) is Missile Command TB.

It's hard to pick a "Best Ever" hack. So many of Nukey Shay's are so good that he deserves a special category. At this point, if pressed, I'd say Hack'Em/Hanglyman is the best, but there are so many other impressive ones...

BTW, Return of Mario Bros. by Rhindle the Red should be nominated - his subtle changes brought new levels of respect for me to a game that plays as well on the 2600 as on the arcade.

I was impressed enough with Return of Mario Bros. and Berzerk VE to buy my own copies back when hacks were available for sale.

Everyone's great hacks are the #1 reason I bought a Cuttle Cart II -- using the CC2, or a Krokodile Cart, are the best ways to enjoy hacks on real Atari hardware in my opinion.

851799[/snapback]

I had the exact same thought.

KLOV doesnt have any screenshots but the arcade manual does describe some bits of the gameplay.

Funny that it's measured in kilometers and not miles....

851974[/snapback]

More Fonz info including screenshots for all future members of The Fonz Hack Movement :)

http://marvin3m.com/arcade/fonz.htm

Edited by sandmountainslim