IGNORED

5200 hack ideas

sku_u

Can anyone tell me where i can find hacks of 5200 roms? Also i would like tol see perfect hacked copies of pac-man and ms. pac-man (For the 5200 systen cartridge ans roms) that pac-man and ms. pac-man are invincible from the very start of the game.

Oh I got another idea.. how about hacking Pengo to have the original Popcorn music? :)

The ONLY good version of "Popcorn" that the 5200 could handle is the VERY first recording of that song from 1968.

The primary melody is all we're talking about here. I'm humming it right now.. can the 5200 handle THAT "version"? Of course it can ;)

It already has the alternate U.S. Pengo music which always sounded odd to me since I didn't grow up with Pengo playing that tune. :lol: Just saying

Yes. The simple fact is there are two versions of the music, the Popcorn theme, and the Pengo music in the U.S. versions, and thus also in the Atari ports.

There is some debate which is the original music, although I personally think the Popcorn theme is the original music because that's what is found in all the original Sega version of the game in Asia (which I played) as well as the bootleg releases. Then when it got ported to the U.S., the music got changed.

But regardless, that's all I'm saying.. a 5200 hack to change the background music to the Popcorn theme. The "original" Pengo music. :)

Gorf hacked to be playable would be nice :)

Somewhere on here (probably 5200 forum) at one time I posted a version of 5200 Gorf hacked to treat the controls as digital controls like the computer versions.

On pengo's music...

Were there Pengo arcade cabs with the popcorn music in the US? I have never seen a Pengo machine that played the popcorn music (other than in MAME of course). I prefer the non-popcorn music but that is what I am used to.

Were there Pengo arcade cabs with the popcorn music in the US? I have never seen a Pengo machine that played the popcorn music (other than in MAME of course). I prefer the non-popcorn music but that is what I am used to.

The U.S. versions pretty much all had the non-Popcorn music.. but I'm sure there were some cabs here and there, it's a big country. :D

Another thing that's taken out of some Pengo machines is the "ice clearing" to create the maze that happens at the beginning of each stage.. in some U.S. versions the maze just appears instantly. But that's not really all that big a deal. :P

Edited by NE146

As long as we're wishing for hacks, how about one of Gremlins that takes away the extra lives every 10k? Great game, but the constant flow of extra lives makes it far too easy.

I remember playing this a long time ago in the HSC. I generally agree. Early on in the game the 10K interval works pretty good, but in the later levels it just breaks the game. I'd prefer a higher interval to no extra men at all, though.

• 10 years later...

I know it's been 10 years since the last post on this thread but how about a hack of the brilliant 5200 port of Yar's Strike, the only change I would want made to this port is for the shield to be in the same red or red-orange as it is on Yars' Revenge for the 2600, other than that keep everything else the same.

Yar's Strike.bin