IGNORED

New Flashback 2.0 Pictures from E3!

I'm intrigued. I'll be looking for this. And hoping it plays as good as it looks.

I'm not really concerned about there not being a cart slot. Anyone who was thinking that would be included isn't thinking realistically about it. I'd be stunned if there were one.

But if they're going for retro - enough to have the woodgrain - why not keep the toggle switches, or at least something that looks like toggle switches, rather than red and orange plastic buttons? Still, it will be a minor nit, if the games look and sound right.

What I can't get from the pictures is a sense of scale. How big/small is the console itself? Are the joysticks the same size as the originals, or scaled down? I hope the sticks feel and work right.

Actually, the new Asteroids Vector is a hack submission done by me, Thomas sent me his info on his hack and I had wanted to add in the additional code onto mine, but I had already gotten Thomas involved in two other game submissions and a third was going to delay some legal sides of things for him so I left the vector hack I did without adding his code.

Curt

Ahh k. What differences does it have with mine? :) I kinda take pride in the fact that mine was pretty much the first one around (simple as it is) circa 1997 done all by my lonesome w/ no knowledge of any Atari "community" :D

...Now, you got so called 'vector' hacks all over the place :P

But if they're going for retro - enough to have the woodgrain - why not keep the toggle switches, or at least something that looks like toggle switches, rather than red and orange plastic buttons? Still, it will be a minor nit, if the games look and sound right.

On Classicgaming.com, the FB 2.0 article states that the toggle switches would have been more costly to reproduce and that the buttons are more kid friendly.

On Classicgaming.com, the FB 2.0 article states that the toggle switches would have been more costly to reproduce and that the buttons are more kid friendly.

859989[/snapback]

definitely would of cost more! who knows, maybe someone on ebay will be selling mod kits for the flashback 2.0 OY VAY! :|

859989[/snapback]

definitely would of cost more! who knows, maybe someone on ebay will be selling mod kits for the flashback 2.0 OY VAY! :|

859993[/snapback]

I'm lousy with solder and can't mod electronics; I hope someone makes a cart port kit for electronic dummies like me, or mods them at a reasonable price. Or I could just go and get another console :ponder: Nahhh! Looking forward to the FB 2.0! :)

Once the FB2.0 hits the market and the diagram exists for wiring up, :) I am going to mess with external and internal cart port mods, sorta like an external iso programmer or external boxed enclosure for the cartridge port!

I have around 20 NOS cart ports to mess with, 8) This will be fun!

post-2304-1116816536_thumb.jpg

Its a shame on the other game that Thomas worked on as it can't be included with the FB 2.0 console due to some legal clarifications, I'm not sure if it would appropriate to release the name of the game, but it is a racing game and it would've been a nice addition to the console.

Maybe I can later release the game as a hack... :ponder:

Actually, the new Asteroids Vector is a hack submission done by me, Thomas sent me his info on his hack and I had wanted to add in the additional code onto mine, but I had already gotten Thomas involved in two other game submissions and a third was going to delay some legal sides of things for him so I left the vector hack I did without adding his code.

Did you change the single byte for displaying the remaining ships?

Brian,

The FB 2 console is 2/3rd's the size of the original Atari 2600, the joysticks are exact sized replica's called CX-40B's

Curt

I'm intrigued. I'll be looking for this. And hoping it plays as good as it looks.

I'm not really concerned about there not being a cart slot. Anyone who was thinking that would be included isn't thinking realistically about it. I'd be stunned if there were one.

What I can't get from the pictures is a sense of scale. How big/small is the console itself? Are the joysticks the same size as the originals, or scaled down? I hope the sticks feel and work right.

859954[/snapback]

The FB 2 console is 2/3rd's the size of the original Atari 2600, the joysticks are exact sized replica's called CX-40B's

Why so much bigger than the Flashback 1? Was it an ergonomics issue, or do the guts really take up that much room?

860286[/snapback]

The FB1 was a 1/2 size replica of the 7800, it was just a bit too small, with the new FB 2 joysticks being full sized originals, to have had the console in 1/2 size like the FB1 would've looked completely disproportionate, so 2/3rd size was chosen and most people seem to like its size.

Curt

Will the Flashback 2's joysticks work on an original 2600?

Why so much bigger than the Flashback 1? Was it an ergonomics issue, or do the guts really take up that much room?

860286[/snapback]

The FB1 was a 1/2 size replica of the 7800, it was just a bit too small, with the new FB 2 joysticks being full sized originals, to have had the console in 1/2 size like the FB1 would've looked completely disproportionate, so 2/3rd size was chosen and most people seem to like its size.

Curt

860311[/snapback]

Ah, makes sense. Still, be interesting to know how small it could have been. What can I say, I'm fascinated by miniatures.

On that note, it would be nice if the FB2 came with a little 2600 or CX40 keychain as a freebie. Aside from being really cool, it would make for a great little viral marketing item-- "Hey, cool keychain! Where'd you get it?" "I'm glad you asked, Bob! Yadda yadda yadda..." Customers +1.

SWEET! It looks like Atari is finally getting it right and making up for that abomination FB 1.0! My "maybe" vote has changed to a DEFINATE as far as getting this console, especially with that KILLER game line-up and Lunar Lander to boot! (I ALWAYS wanted a good port of LL on the 2600/7800)

I certainly hope they've learned from their FB 1.0 mistake for good and this trend continues in the future as well. It MUST be origianal Atari compatible hardware and games AND new original hardware! No more emulation/nemesis hardware!!!

noticed this box lists it as the "Flashback 2" as opposed to the "2.0" we've been hearing. (even on the unit pictured on the box) wonder if it's just that box or there's been a change.

Everything I saw today said 2.0

858669[/snapback]

as long as the actual unit says 2.0 on it I will be happy, just a 2 wont do :D

858671[/snapback]

The problem I have is that X.X labels are misused WAAY too much. IF, there is actually something IN BETWEEN like a 2.5 with different games, then GO FOR IT! all the way! But if the next console released jumps to 3.0, then it's another mis-use and I am SICK of that, just stick to straight 2's and 3's, etc. in that case!

Edited by Gunstar

Its a shame on the other game that Thomas worked on as it can't be included with the FB 2.0 console due to some legal clarifications, I'm not sure if it would appropriate to release the name of the game, but it is a racing game and it would've been a nice addition to the console.

Maybe I can later release the game as a hack... :ponder:

Did you change the single byte for displaying the remaining ships?

860101[/snapback]

Curt - was the extra ship code included? I've been talking to my brother about the FB and we always wondered what happened to the extra ships in the Asteroids screen shot in the catalog we got back in the early 80's. It would of been nice to put this mystery to rest!! :)

Either way - vector Asteroids is going to be a great addition.

Thanks,

I've been talking to my brother about the FB and we always wondered what happened to the extra ships in the Asteroids screen shot in the catalog we got back in the early 80's.  It would of been nice to put this mystery to rest!! :)

IIRC not even Brad Stewart remembers exactly, why the ships had been removed. So I doubt we will ever solve the mystery arond this.

I've been talking to my brother about the FB and we always wondered what happened to the extra ships in the Asteroids screen shot in the catalog we got back in the early 80's.  It would of been nice to put this mystery to rest!! :)

IIRC not even Brad Stewart remembers exactly, why the ships had been removed. So I doubt we will ever solve the mystery arond this.

861757[/snapback]

That's interesting. Has there been any reported problems with your hack that displays the ships?

That's interesting.  Has there been any reported problems with your hack that displays the ships?

Nope.

What kind of problems would you expect?

861768[/snapback]

None of course! :) I was just confused since to display the extra ships only took changing one byte of code yet the original programmer decided not to leave it in. IMO it only makes the game look cooler!! :cool:

None of course! :)  I was just confused since to display the extra ships only took changing one byte of code yet the original programmer decided not to leave it in.  IMO it only makes the game look cooler!!  :cool:

861777[/snapback]

It's a longshot but maybe he was more worried about screen burn-in than other programmers at the time. Nothing else is on the screen continuously (the score is but not every segment of the score).

Finally looking at the pics of the current version FB2.0. I only see one major problem with it.

In the dark...when trying to press reset...you are way more likely to actually press POWER!

They should reverse the difficulty buttons, and put the reset and select on the other side just like on a standard 2600 did? Doesn't make much sense to change this.

Afterall, we are way more likely to be reaching for that reset button, than the difficulty switches right?

Also, Zlyon asked about the size. I can see Curt's reason for the size and joystick proportions. And, we still haven't seen the inside of this thing yet. Just because the case is at 2/3 scale, doesn't mean the PCB on the inside isn't really tiny right?!

So we could have a minature that was just placed into a larger more kid friendly and ergonomically proportional console?

I want to see the insides man!!!

This is not a kids product! And those red little buttons look odd...

Regards