IGNORED

Best Apple II Games?

Tempest

Since I've been getting back into my Apple IIe lately (my first computer after my beloved Atari 400), I was wondering what games everyone thought are 'must haves' for the Apple. Back in the early days of the Apple I didn't actually buy any of my games, they all came from my neighbor (who later turned into one of the biggest e-mail spam kings in the US) so I only had what games he had and probably missed out on a lot of good ones. It wasn't until later on (after 88ish) that I actually started shopping for my own games and was able to get what I want.

Here's my list of must have games for the Apple II (in no particular order):

Adventure Construction Set – The fact that this game could make new random adventures for you each time is absolutely amazing.

Airheart

All Infocom Games (Beyond Zork and Arthur are my absolute favorites)

Bards Tale I, II, III (although II was kinda weak)

Bilestoad

Bruce Lee

Castle Wolfenstien

Choplifter (gotta play it on a green monochrome monitor for the classic look)

Conan

Diamond Mine

Dino Eggs (or Dino Smurf if you prefer)

Drol

Evolution

Family Feud – Laugh all you want, I spent HOURS playing this. Much better than you'd think

Gemstone Warrior - Great game, never did beat it. I hear it has a sequel called Gemstone Healer.

Goonies

Karateka

Kings Bounty

Kings Quest series

Lode Runner

Maniac Mansion

Miner II – Not the best Miner game, but it has unique levels. Completely different from BBSB

Mr. Robot

Police Quest

Price of Persia

Rescue Raiders – One of these days I'll beat this

Sammy Lightfoot

Sneakers

Swashbuckler

SSI Gold Box AD&D Series

South Pacific Quest

Space Quest series

Tass Times in Tone Town

Ultima's IV & V - IMHO the rest were pretty poor, although III isn't too bad

Wasteland

Wizardy Series

I'm sure there are others I'm missing, but this is what I could think of off the top of my head.

Tempest

they all came from my neighbor (who later turned into one of the biggest e-mail spam kings in the US)

The legendary Sanford "Spamford" Wallace????

862154[/snapback]

No not quite that big, but if you look himup on the net you'll see alot of him. Al Ralsky.

Tempest

I liked Drol...

...and Copy Master 5.0 ....lol.

862228[/snapback]

Ooo Drol! I forgot about that. Added to the list.

Tempest

862250[/snapback]

Drol, I remember that. Choplifter was probably the "wow" game for me on the Apple II.

ah the apple II, i still think that if my mom had gotten me one like i begged for i might have become a millionare programmer or something. anyways i used to hang around this little computer store near my house, the guys would let me copy shareware games and i'd take em to the computer lab after school...yes i was that much of a 5th grade geek. there was a really sharp version of risk that we liked to play and of course castle wolfenstien.

the one game i got hooked on was a graphic text adventure called "mask of the sun". i loved the spooky aztec world and exploring but you couldnt save your progress and for some reason i never beat it. i've taken a few stabs in recent years at playing it on emulators but heres the rub, i've totally lost my text adventure instinct. years of holding a joystick have robbed of me of something i could handle at age 11 :roll:

I recently aquired 4 Apple IIe computers with mostly children games (they came from a school) but I remember a couple of games in high school that were being played. One was called (I think) Swashbuckler, where you and another were swordfighting. Another was a Donkey Kong clone, but instead of Kong, there was a colonial soldier rolling cannon balls down at you.....

I'm also gonna put some of these computers up for trade (after I move into my new house) so if anyone is interested in one (comes with monitor) lemme know!

I recently aquired 4 Apple IIe computers with mostly children games (they came from a school) but I remember a couple of games in high school that were being played.  One was called (I think) Swashbuckler, where you and another were swordfighting.  Another was a Donkey Kong clone, but instead of Kong, there was a colonial soldier rolling cannon balls down at you.....

I'm also gonna put some of these computers up for trade (after I move into my new house) so if anyone is interested in one (comes with monitor) lemme know!

862554[/snapback]

Oooo! Swashbuckler! I loved that game! The other game you're talking about is Cannonball Blitz, I could never figure that game out.

Tempest

Cannonball Blitz, I could never figure that game out.

That's because it's hard as shit. And having to sit through all that loading and tune whenever you die was bullshit.. aaahh the days when the user experience was sort of an after-thought :lol:

I can say a couple, but they tend to be mainly out of nostalgia (although I still do PLAY them to this day). I mean look at Aztec. I STILL love that game. But no one today would be able to figure it out without a lot of frustrations.. I mean "W" to walk?? C to climb stairs? COME ON! :lol: And it's buggy as shit too. But of course those bugs gave the game life above and beyond what it normally presented. :) Or of course Castle Wolfenstein. I don't think I could play it today from scratch and figure out how to hold up people or how to take the uniform off an SS stormtrooper.

Other than that.. the usual of course. Droll. Hard Hat Mac, the text adventures, some of the graphic adventures, Lode Runner, Pinball, yada yada yada. you can fill out the list pretty much.

I use to play a game called Gemstone Warrior, but I don't remember if it was on Apple IIE or an early IBM. In any case I recommend that game.

862628[/snapback]

On my list. :) I believe it came out for the Apple, C64, and IBM. I always wanted to play the sequel called Gemstone Healer, but I never could find it. I think that one was C64 only.

Hard Hat Mac

I hesitated to put this on my list, not because it's not a good game, but because it gets old fast. Only three screens and not much of a challenge. Still, it's fun to pick up now and then.

Captain Goodnight

Yes, another good one. I think I actually did beat it once. A great game that shows off what the Apple could do if you tried hard enough. I didn't realize it was an Apple exclusive.

Castle Smurfenstein (just a hack, but neat)

Yeah I had this and Dino Smurf growing up (long before I got the originals). I believe the cracked screen said "Smurfs Burn in Hell!" which was hillarious. All the Canadian references were funny too (like finding Molsen Golden in crates). Too bad their third game 'Sky Smurf' never came out because they couldn't figure out how to crack Sky Fox. Speaking of which, that's another good one...

BTW the two programmers have a websites (Dead Smurf Software):

http://cvnweb.bai.ne.jp/~preston/other/deadsmurf/

http://www.evl.uic.edu/aej/smurf.html

Tempest

Arkanoid is fun if you have the paddle controllers. There's also a Metroid type game that's a lot of fun, but the name of it is escaping me right at the moment.

-S

862833[/snapback]

The Apple version of Arkanoid is the only one I've ever beaten. Probably because it's slower than other versions. I never knew it was paddle compatible...

Tempest

I always liked Sabatoge, where the paratroopers came from the sky to sabatoge your gun. There's nothing quite like shooting a paratrooper's paracute off, causing him to fall to the ground in a bloody mess that kills other paratroopers already on the ground. :twisted:

Of course, now that I've read Band of Brothers I feel guilty about that.

I remember a Apple II game I used to play in a school computer lab that was basically set on a mountain, there was a ski lift at the top of the screen, a river running down the middle, a waterfall at one end of the river, and a dungeon type thing at the very bottom of the screen.

Anyone have any clue what game that was? I also remember playing Odell Lake and Oregon Trail a lot.

If you're looking for good arcade translations, AtariSoft did a great job on most of their ports to the Apple II. Moon Patrol and Mario Brothers stand out in particular. I would even argue that the Apple II release of Mario Brothers is the best 8-bit translation of that game I've played.

Most of the latter-day arcade ports made by Mindspring and Data East unfortunately don't hold up as well, however, Data East did publish a good title with Victory Road: Ikari Warriors II. The game engine is much more solid than that of the first Ikari Warriors, and the double hi-res graphics make the game look just as good as its C-64 counterpart.

The Apple version of Arkanoid is the only one I've ever beaten.  Probably because it's slower than other versions.  I never knew it was paddle compatible...

862835[/snapback]

Strictly speaking, all Apple II games that use the standard Apple joystick are paddle-compatible. This is because Apple joysticks are really just a pair of paddles that have been repackaged into a single controller; that's why they're analog sticks with two fire buttons. Atari could have done the same thing with the Atari 2600, but they wisely chose to make the joysticks digital instead.

I don't know if the Apple II's external controller port is even capable of a joystick like the 2600's, but the II+ and IIe actually have a second game I/O port inside the system, which does support digital controllers. Unfortunately I know of only one game that used this port: Track and Field by AtariSoft.

Incidentally, Arkanoid for the Apple II is also mouse-compatible, if you happen to have one handy.

If you're looking for good arcade translations, AtariSoft did a great job on most of their ports to the Apple II.  Moon Patrol and Mario Brothers stand out in particular.  I would even argue that the Apple II release of Mario Brothers is the best 8-bit translation of that game I've played.

Actually Mario Bros was never released, however it was HEAVILY pirated...

And yes, it is a very good version.

Tempest

Actually Mario Bros was never released, however it was HEAVILY pirated...

And yes, it is a very good version.

863539[/snapback]

Not to dispute you, but are you sure? The AtariSoft FAQ has it as "ultra rare." That's an iffy way to put it, of course; perhaps only some press releases leaked out.

I certainly haven't seen it myself, except in pirated form.

Curiously, the FAQ also lists the C-64 version as "never released," and I have a copy of that on disk as well.

Edit: Fixed BB Code.

Edited by skunkworx