IGNORED

NOKIA cell phone game conversions

birdie3

Last night I played a game called "Air Glider" on my brother's cell phone. Is anyone here familiar with this game? The point is, this game is really good and it played just like a 2600 game. This "Air Glider" game would make a great homebrew.

I tried to find screenshots but I could not.

Last night I played a game called "Air Glider" on my brother's cell phone. Is anyone here familiar with this game? The point is, this game is really good and it played just like a 2600 game. This "Air Glider" game would make a great homebrew.

I tried to find screenshots but I could not.

863645[/snapback]

Was it anything like this game?

I've thought about porting Glider to the 2600, but it would be so hard to get the feeling of the game right, even if I could manage to do the game mechanics justice.

OK. It was similar to this but it was way better. The game "Air Glider" plays like an old 8-bit NES or Atari console game. The best way for me to describe this game is to find screenshots. I will fake up some mock concepts if I have to later.

Trust me. The game I am talking about is extremely good and it would definately be one of the funnest 2600 games ever made if someone did a good job on it. I will keep looking.

OK. It was similar to this but it was way better. The game "Air Glider" plays like an old 8-bit NES or Atari console game.

864326[/snapback]

Did you download Glider and try it? It's one of my favorite classic games. I prefer the original black and white version from the Mac, but the PC version is pretty representative. My guess is that if Air Glider is anything like Glider, it's a ripoff. =)

OK. It was similar to this but it was way better. The game "Air Glider" plays like an old 8-bit NES or Atari console game.

Did you download Glider and try it? It's one of my favorite classic games. I prefer the original black and white version from the Mac, but the PC version is pretty representative. My guess is that if Air Glider is anything like Glider, it's a ripoff. =)

Am I missing something? I can't even get past the 2nd room. I can steer side to side but space and enter don't do anything. I get the idea that there are air currents up but beyond that I'm lost, and can't gain enough height because of the picture to make it to the 2nd room's 2nd air column.

Am I missing something? I can't even get past the 2nd room.  I can steer side to side but space and enter don't do anything.  I get the idea that there are air currents up but beyond that I'm lost, and can't gain enough height because of the picture to make it to the 2nd room's 2nd air column.

864837[/snapback]

Yeah, you ought to like this game, the controls are really simple (not one-button, though). The recent versions have added controls for firing rubber bands from your glider, but I think that's just cluttering up an elegant design.

Usually it's a matter of using the air currents, but sometimes you can get sucked into vents and deposited elsewhere, or go down stairs, out windows, etc. There are also switches that let you turn on fans, which can help.

I'll have to look at the PC version tonight....I'm assuming you're playing the default house?

Yeah, you ought to like this game, the controls are really simple (not one-button, though). The recent versions have added controls for firing rubber bands from your glider, but I think that's just cluttering up an elegant design.

Usually it's a matter of using the air currents, but sometimes you can get sucked into vents and deposited elsewhere, or go down stairs, out windows, etc. There are also switches that let you turn on fans, which can help.

I'll have to look at the PC version tonight....I'm assuming you're playing the default house?

Yeah, it does seem like my cuppa.

I do believe it's the default.

The PC version is also hampered by this thing where the first room of the house displays one tile at a time, randomly filling in...takes way too long.

Please let me know!

Yeah, it does seem like my cuppa.

I do believe it's the default.

The PC version is also hampered by this thing where the first room of the house displays one tile at a time, randomly filling in...takes way too long.

Please let me know!

865459[/snapback]

Just to make sure you have a good version, I have Glider 4.0 (on my Start Menu, heh). The screen does tile-in, but it's meant to be a visual effect, and the game doesn't start until it's finished. I agree that the cut sequences take too long, though...

I think you're missing the vent on the floor at the righthand side of the first room. Hover over that until you reach the ceiling before you move on to the second room.

BTW, the clocks are time bonuses for scoring if you care about that sort of thing, and folded sheets of paper are extra lives. =)

• 7 months later...