IGNORED

Emulators and Windows XP

Fretwobbler

Kaliman,

Have to disagree with you on this one.

I don't like xp.

Most of the customers i deal with, also complain about this or that not working. I do pc repair and xp is a pain in the $%&.

I look at it this way,

1. I don't want to have to "activate" my software everytime I format my drive or becasue I changed more than the allowed # of devices in my computer.

2. I don't want to spend more money after shelling out at least $100.00 us for the operating system, on new software because the older version I have does not work.

3. I don't want to give bill gates anymore of my money.

I had a "free" non "activation" copy of xp and I got it off my computer as I hated it.

Many of my co-workers also feel this way and are staying with win 98se or win me.

I'm running win me and like it. :) .

Kaliman,

Have to disagree with you on this one.

I don't like xp.

Most of the customers i deal with, also complain about this or that not working. I do pc repair and xp is a pain in the $%&.

I look at it this way,

1. I don't want to have to "activate" my software everytime I format my drive or becasue I changed more than the allowed # of devices in my computer.

2. I don't want to spend more money after shelling out at least $100.00 us for the operating system, on new software because the older version I have does not work.

3.  I don't want to give bill gates anymore of my money.

I had a "free" non "activation" copy of xp and I got it off my computer as I hated it.

Many of my co-workers also feel this way and are staying with win 98se or win me.

I'm running win me and like it.  :) .

All good points but some of those rumors about XP's new stability are mostly true. So if you really want an OS with the look and feel of Windows98 and about 99% of the stability of Windows XP you should give Windows2000 Pro a try. And it doesn't have any of those activation hassles.

-O

Windows 2000 is a great OS, for BUSINESSES. I used it for about 6 months and it's extremely stable, but forget trying to run a lot of software. Many things have compatibility problems with 2000, much more than with XP. I really like windows 2000, but I'm gonna have to say XP is better.

My 2cents...

I run 2K Pro and XP Pro on various PC's at home (inc my laptop) - I have not found a significant program that will not work on 2K or XP...

I use 2K at work - all day every day, I have not rebooted my machine - except for a RAM upgrade, in 2 months - and believe me I hammer the system daily, all day...

Win 2K is far more stable (true 32bit core) and more compatile than ME (what a dog of an OS that is!) and much more stable than 98 too...

With XP's compatability settings availabe to each application its extremely easy to get even ancient (7 years plus) apps and games to run...

The huge advantage these OS's have over the consumer Windows versions is their NT core - an inherently more stable and faster Kernal...

On the other hand they are both Micro$oft products and each of us has a different opinion about that issue :)

sTeVE

I understand people refusing to upgrade to this new (almost 1 year old) OS. But all the talk reminds me of people refusing to leave 3.11 to install Win95. Eventually, we all did and so will you.

But lets get back to the topic. Anyone had the same problem with PCEAWIN? I mean, I can't get the joystick to work. And that is in WinXP and Win98 (have not tried it in any other).

I used win98 for years and I always said that I wouldn't upgrade until it started acting funky. Well 5 years later (2 months ago) it did start acting funky so it was time to upgrade. After backing up all my stuff, I skipped 2k (I have it still sealed in box) and went to XP Pro.

I have not had a problem since and it's been absolutely GREAT. Totally stable and I only reboot when I want to turn the pc off. :P

Of course you really have to disable a lot of the gayer aspects of XP (fyi I followed most of my tips from here: http://www.monroeworld.com/pchelp/xptweaks.php But overall, it's worked great for me.