IGNORED

10 just found prototype games NEED Help !

neoscott

It sucks that the Bobby proto seems to have bitrotted. If it is indeed bitrot, and not a problem somewhere else on the EPROM or board (like the problems Tempest is having with his Meltdown), then the contents of that particular cart are more than likely lost forever (although depending on the damage, it may or may not be possible to reconstruct what's there, but if it's not a final release binary, then it'll be much harder to do).

884621[/snapback]

If it's a marginal case of bitrot, reading the device out with different VDD levels may be able to help.

Given Tempest's role as prototype historian, if he's willing I'd recommend you send that Bobby cart to him, in the hopes that he might be able to pin down what the problem exactly is, so that you (and the whole community) know exactly what is being dealt with.

884621[/snapback]

I will second that completely. One of the best guys we know.

No pressure on Tempest of course,lol. ;)

(although depending on the damage, it may or may not be possible to reconstruct what's there, but if it's not a final release binary, then it'll be much harder to do).

I will offer my help here. At least it should be possible to find out, if the prototype code is different from the released binaries.

• 2 months later...

The won't suspend your account, but they will warn you. If you put them up again or do other auctions that are against rules they will suspend you. You have to be creative in the description if you want to ebay them. It's always better to sell protos here anyways, get them into the hands of the folks that can really appreciate them. :)

I just saw the screenshot for [spacemaster] X-7, and have to say that it looks suspiciously like the horrid Alpha Shield (Sirius cartridge) for the A8 computers. Can anyone advise if there is a connection between the two titles?

933377[/snapback]

They're the same game. TCF licensed several Sirius games and renamed them with movie names (yep this was a movie).

Tempest

TCF licensed several Sirius games and renamed them with movie names (yep this was a movie).

Was this a released movie? Or a movie that was planning to be made but never was? The reason I ask is I have never heard of a Spacemaster X-7 movie nor can I find any info that it exists.

Nuts.

Netflix didn't carry it, so I checked ebay...No go.

Then after reading through the reviews it looks like the flick has never been released to DVD or VHS.

"20th Century Fox used this low budget film as a co-feature for their blockbuster release The Fly (1958) in the United States. Twentieth Century Fox did not put this into a television syndication package. The film has remained almost unseen in the U.S. since its theatrical run."

Too bad, Sounds right up my ally.

"A space probe returns to Earth covered with a strange fungus. The fungus is accidentally tinged with human blood and is transformed into an ever-growing pile of space rust, dubbed "Blood Rust". "

I wonder why they named a 2600 game after such an obscure film?

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

But what happened to the Bobby is Going Home ROM? That's surely useless to anyone who doesn't have a ROM dumper and a bit of knowledge of the original... perhaps you could ask the buyer to contact Tempest or Thomas Jentzsch about it? The code may still be readable in the right hands and it would be very interesting to see what's on it, as games like this are rarely documented!

It would be a terrible thing if it were to just be forgotten about by the new owner - and as time goes by the ROMs will get more and more corrupt....

boy how anticlimactic... well hopefully one day we wil see if these were new versions... x-7 is one of my all time fave 2600 games so id be curious to see if there were any differences in the development process between an early version and a finished version... also, of course, the bobby curiosity.... was it actually a fox game first???