IGNORED

Taito Arcade -> Atari 2600 port

Cybergoth

Which of these Taito Arcades should be ported to the 2600?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these Taito Arcades should be ported to the 2600?

• Lupin III
    • Space Laser
    • Stratovox
    • Fitter
    • Qix
    • Space Cruiser
    • Space Seeker
    • Marine Date
    • Rock Climber
    • Space Chaser

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Hi there!

If you're following my blog you've already seen this list, it's a selection of 80/81 Taito Arcade games that never officially made it to the 2600.

And the question is again: Which of these is the most desired for the Atari 2600?

Greetings,

Manuel

What's "Quix"?

EDIT: Bah, he fixed it.

Actually, Qix is the only one on that list I've ever even heard of (aside from Stratovox, which sucks). So I guess I'd vote for that. But it would be impossible to pull off without extra RAM.

Edited by ZylonBane

Hi there!

Isn't Dodge Em good enough? :)

But in Space Chaser they chase you around! It's more the prototype Pacman than Dodge 'em was in my humble opinion :)

Anyway.. my vote is cast *cough*.. :ponder: :D

Edited by NE146

I like Qix, but all of the arcade's gameplay would almost certainly be lost on the 2600. It might make for an interesting variation, but it would probably take the addition (or at least alteration) of some elements. It would probably end up a very different game. But it could still be a good one if done right.

Wow! Taito has a pretty cool library of games! :) This is a tough choice! Perhaps some of these could be hacked from or built upon existing game kernals ?

Space Chaser (Dodge'Em hack)

Qix (Etch-a-Sketch hack)

Rock Climber (Crazy Climber hack - using a two joystick control scheme)

Space Laser (Backfire or Demons to Diamonds hack)

I haven't played Stratovox and Space Cruiser much, but it would seem to me we already have Imagic's Demon Attack. However, Space Cruiser does have voice and it would be nice to see more games using the Atarivox.

Marine Date is broken in my outdated version of MAME, but it sounds like an interesting puzzler and it uses the trackball! I'm a sucker for puzzles and games with interesting controls!

Space Seeker would be nifty to see with it's various screens and modes of gameplay.

Lupin and Fitter are both great maze games, IMO. I prefer Fitter though because I can never get away from those blasted cops in Lupin!

Anyways, I've blabbed long enough, and no one wanted to hear it anyways. My choices come down to Rock Climber and Fitter. I choose Rock Climber!

BTW, I think the next poll should be "Llamasoft -> Atari 2600 Port". :D

Edited by mojofltr

Hi there!

None of these games is very interesting ...  :ponder:

I think around 78-82 Taito was superior to any other Arcade company. I think their main problem was that they just licensed their stuff to american companies instead of publishing under their own brand.

If you browse through their 80-84 releases, you'll be surprised how many familiar games you'll meet:

http://www.taito.co.jp/game/history/80s_a/index.html

Greetings,

Manuel

I like Qix, but all of the arcade's gameplay would almost certainly be lost on the 2600. It might make for an interesting variation, but it would probably take the addition (or at least alteration) of some elements. It would probably end up a very different game. But it could still be a good one if done right.

885101[/snapback]

I don't know, I think Qix could be done pretty faithfully on the 2600 -- perhaps one of the few that could be. It's pretty abstract actually isn't comprised of much. You: Ball sprite, double-sized. Sparx: Animated sprites, single-width. Qix: drawn in real time. All of the box drawing could be done on an asynchronous background. Might be a little chunky, but it would work.

885101[/snapback]

I don't know, I think Qix could be done pretty faithfully on the 2600 -- perhaps one of the few that could be. It's pretty abstract actually isn't comprised of much. You: Ball sprite, double-sized. Sparx: Animated sprites, single-width. Qix: drawn in real time. All of the box drawing could be done on an asynchronous background. Might be a little chunky, but it would work.

886074[/snapback]

That, and do it like they did in other ports: let go of the button - slow draw

Hold the button - Fast draw

• Like 1

I don't know, I think Qix could be done pretty faithfully on the 2600 -- perhaps one of the few that could be.  It's pretty abstract actually isn't comprised of much.  You: Ball sprite, double-sized.  Sparx: Animated sprites, single-width.  Qix: drawn in real time.  All of the box drawing could be done on an asynchronous background.  Might be a little chunky, but it would work.

886074[/snapback]

That, and do it like they did in other ports: let go of the button - slow draw

Hold the button - Fast draw

886085[/snapback]

There was a previous discussion of Qix on the 2600, and a mockup screen posted in this thread.

It definitely should be possible (but rather difficult) to replicate most of the game.

Chris

I wonder about "Qix meets Zookeeper" that ZylonBane wrote in that other thread more than two years ago. The Zookeeper I can think of is a Jewels game, so would it mean a gameplay where you draw a box around the two elements you wish to shift places, and then they disappear? Sounds like a game for a touch screen console like Nintendo DS.

• 3 weeks later...

There's a thread on here where the Zoo Keeper sounds were released. Man, do they sound fabulous. You can download a binary and listen to them:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...9&hl=zoo+keeper

Aha, it looks qixy (and related) indeed. Yesterday evening when reading through one of my old video game magazines from 1983/84, I happened to read about a video game conversion of Zoo Keeper was to be released.

887462[/snapback]

• 1 year later...