IGNORED

Taito Arcade -> Atari 2600 port

Cybergoth

Which of these Taito Arcades should be ported to the 2600?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these Taito Arcades should be ported to the 2600?

• Lupin III
    • Space Laser
    • Stratovox
    • Fitter
    • Qix
    • Space Cruiser
    • Space Seeker
    • Marine Date
    • Rock Climber
    • Space Chaser

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Do any of you think Qix could be done with Batari BASIC?

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=91578

I think it could be done with Batari Basic, like I said if you use the Atari ball to represent the qix thing, you would just need a random bouncing ball maybe that changes colors, then something like surround to draw the lines, having enemies that follow those lines might be hard though?

Wade

• 3 weeks later...

I was just playing the homebrew soccer game, the way the ball bounces all around the screen would be perfect for qix I think, just no scrolling.

So if that was the way the ball would bounce around you need to try to box in I think that would be very similar to qix in play.

Then you would need an enemy to try to get you and that would be it, you would have essentially qix.

Wade

• 3 weeks later...

You know I was thinking Qix just bounced around the borders but you are right this makes it harder to program, but then again it is the 2600 so that could be cut out too?

Wow the more I think of it Qix would really be butchered to end up on the 2600, much like Pac Man was originally or Zaxxon.

Well the game play would be similar so it would still be Qix I guess.

Wade

I was just playing the homebrew soccer game, the way the ball bounces all around the screen would be perfect for qix I think

The ball in this soccer game stops and changes direction on its own? What a peculiar soccer game it must be. :ponder:

• 4 weeks later...
Hey Manuel, how about Lunar Rescue?

An absolute favourite of mine, probably the best game on Taitos 8080 platform (besides SI and a very un-pc "western" game :ponder: ). I've left it out from the poll, avoiding the usual smartass comments about "This Planet Sucks" ;)

I was pretty surprised when browsing the [stella] archives that some differences between "Lunar Rescue" and "This Planet Sucks" were regarded "improvements", when IMO all recognizable changes are just taking away from it...

Still, re-porting it to the 2600 again would I somehow consider a redundant task. Some 3-4 years ago I asked Greg Troutman regarding the TPS source code, but unfortunately he lost all of his code when his computer died :sad:

Now I, personally, don't feel like starting it from scratch. If I were to port another Taito game to the 2600 after Colony 7, it'd be "Water Ski"!! :D

And anyways - For a perfect home version of Lunar Rescue I could imagine a much better suited target platform than the 2600 ;) :lolblue: