IGNORED

Rarity?

mndsm

First off let me say the forums here are amazing. The depth of knowledge carried here is second to none. Hence Why I signed up.

Very recently I decided to start into the hobby of collecting vintage Atari games and systems. I started off with a modest purchase that included 2- cx2600A's, 4 joysticks, 4 pong paddles, all required RCA's and power cables, and 91 carts. Many are duplicates, some with subtle differences, (i.e. text vs. pic etc.)

I was using the rarity guide as a benchmark for my purchases to see what I got and what common/uncommon/rare is going to do as far as my ability to get more carts. I have a cart here in front of me, titled Blueprint. It is a white case with yellow writing on it and was liscensed by CBS Electronics. It did not show up in the rarity guide. I noticed that several people in the forum have seen/heard of said title and was curious as to its rarity and so on. I don't plan on Ebay'ing it in any event, since I bought these all for me.

I also have a Dig Dug cart, that was listed as a #2 common, I believe. Once difference between mine and the one listed, ( it is a silver label) the one listed in the rarity guide has a publish date of 1987. Mine hasa publish date of 1983. These were not listed on the guide at all, so I am curious to that one as well.

There are other questions I have as there are probably 50-60 carts I have yet to go through, but I will leave it to these two for now.

Thanks to anyone that can shed light on the situation.

First of all, welcome !

I have found when using the rarity guide here, there are many label variations missing, for good reason.

There are so many label variations, that it is almost beyond counting.

For the most part, MAJOR label variations of note are listed.

For instance the blue activision labels, text labels vs. picture labels, etc.

For a more comprehensive list of label variations, check out:

http://www.atariguide.com/1/170b.htm

Most subtle label variations still keep the game at the same rarity level except for a few scattered cases.

Hope this helps !

Generally speaking for the lat 80s releases, bump up the rarity a point over the older listed version of the cart.

884373[/snapback]

I think it's just the opposite on some. Look at all the O'shea releases, Most are the later Atari Corp versions, Kangaroo, Dig Dug, Mario, Jungle Hunt, Stargate, Millepede, alot seem to be easier found in the late release versions than the original Atari Inc silver. At least I'm still looking for some of these in the orignal release myself, and every auction I run across seems to be O'shea versions, which were the rereleased ones. This might be a problem for me as I'm looking for boxed copies, and those that O'sheas have sold are all complete & there are so many, it makes it hard to find originals. Collecting loose carts these are all fairly common, original Silvers & late Atari corp silvers.

Rarity isn't as big of a deal for me as currently I am just trying to build a stock of games. More variety the better for me. In reality it is all about the experience as opposed to to collectability/net worth. Hell, I got a couple of E.T.'s. Widely acknowledged as the worst console game EVER, but still something of a good time due to age and pure crap factor. It's just kind of cool to know what something is, vs. variations, etc. I think I have a rarity 4 if i'm lucky.