IGNORED

Atari ST help

liquid_sky

Hi, i have just recently downloaded both gemulator 2000 and stonxdos. When i try to run a game in .st format i always keep getting this screen.

sterror.pcx

If i dobleclick the icon it wants to show it as text or print so ive been using open then for example roadwar.st and ok.. tellin it its a GEM.

WHat am i doing wrong?[

[ 02-13-2002: Message edited by: liquid_sky ]

First of all, you might want to try a better emulator such as STEem Engine. I've never liked Derek's Gemulator emus, and STonXDOS has been functional but only by half -- it's a port from the Unix/X11 STonx emulator. STEem is about the closest thing to the real thing, emulating probably most of the ST's functionality. (STEem Engine is the independent developmental followup to the now-defunct WinSTon project)

However, as to the direct problem in question, .ST files are complete disk images, not files to be loaded from within GEM. To use them you must virtually insert an ST disk image into a drive and boot from it. If it's not a bootable disk then you can insert the disk from the emulator and double-click on the A drive icon and load whatever needs to be loaded from there.

I downloaded STeem Engine, and I am very happy with it so far. Thanks for the reccomendation, Another ST wizard told me to use it but I was reading about the different emulators and for some reason Stonxdos and Gemulator sounded good. Maybe its due to my fave C64 emulator being described more as an emulator for the Commadore and not as a d64 game runner basically. Now when i dont want to doubleclick to play a game, I also know how to load it the old way.

Now if only I could figure out how to get more gas in Roadwar 2000 (someone {me} really sucks at roadwar 2000)

I recently downloaded and installed STEem on my PC laptop. I grabbed the latest version of TOS and then fired it up in full-screen mode. I must say, it was very eery seeing an Atari ST GEM desktop running on my laptop. It was almost as if I had a prototype Atari ST laptop, a future version of the STacy, if you will. Very, very cool. Now I need to download some of the old games I used to play, along with all the cool demos people wrote for the ST back in the day. First on my list is Dungeon Master.

I had several STs back in their earlier days, including a 520ST and 1040ST, and I played with a friend's MegaST2 quite a bit. But I never bore witness to anything more advanced than that, such as the Atari STE, Falcon or (*gasp*) a TT. There were virtually no Atari dealers where I lived (I think I was in southeastern Connecticut at this point), and there was no Internet where you could just surf and order computers online. Not that I could have even dreamt of purchasing one at that point, but it still would have been nice to drool on one, especially the TT.

..Al