IGNORED

Summer AtariProtos.com Update

Albert

riverraid_800.jpgMatt Reichert of AtariProtos.com has been hard at work recently on another round of prototype reviews. This time he's added a collection of Atari 8-bit reviews for the games Decathlon, Pitfall!, Keystone Kapers, Kaboom!, Megamania, River Raid, and Super Cobra. You can find these reviews and more insightful and comprehensive prototype reviews for the 2600, 5200 and Atari 8-bit computers over at AtariProtos.com.

• 2 weeks later...
>Three Revisions of Atari BASIC exist: A, B, and C.  A is the most common revision, and was the version on the BASIC cartridge from 1979 until around 1983.  Revision A was also built into the Atari 1200XL.

No it was not....I have a 1200XL, I should know.

898359[/snapback]

Hmm... Well my sources were wrong then. I'll fix that. Thanks for the information.

Tempest

I should state for the record what it did do...it went to the ATARI logo in rainbow colors and the HELP key brought up the diagnostics menu...that's about it.  Typing the keyword "BYE" in BASIC also sent you there.

898374[/snapback]

I'll admit I'm a bit hazy on exactly what the 1200xl did. I swear I thought it had A built in, but I guess not. Thanks for correcting me.

Tempest

There's a blast from the past. Long after Atari had pretty much phased out the Atari computer, I bought a 130XE from someone with AtariWriter+. I used to to write most of my senior high school papers. Even had one of those kludgy XEP80s but they were too awkward to be really useful.

Rev. A was v. buggy and Rev B was just buggy (B for bugs), rev C corrected all the rev a/b bugs (xe only unless you've got a rev c bas cart)

900817[/snapback]

Yeah my understanding was that there was a bug in one of the routines in Rev. A, and when they patched it in Rev. B they applied the patch to the wrong routine (breaking it). So basically B had even more bugs than A. C supposedly fixed all the bugs.

Tempest

Never seen or heard of a rev c basic cart. i do remember to that only a v. few xl's have rev. c in them as rev. C was mainly used in the xe's, i did hear rumours of rev. d basic (don't know if it was true)

900883[/snapback]

Here's a pic of the Rev. C Basic cartridge.

http://www.atariprotos.com/other/labelvar/8bit/silver.jpg

Tempest