IGNORED

A/V Mod for Bally Astrocade

GrizzLee

$100 for a Home Library Computer model??? Great deal! Those are the rare first. I'm assuming it still works fully...

Btw, Ken Lil (kenzre) provides an Astrocade repair service should you need one. Might be worth messaging him.

Thanks for the info. The console works 100%.. One joystick needs work and the plastic cover that goes over where you store the games has had a small chip repaired, but other then that it is in really nice shape. I also bought 2 fairchild channel F consoles with about 20 games still in the boxes from the same guy. One of the units works fine. The other has some issues. Both have 2 joysticks. I gave $190 for the fairchild stuff.

Edited by juice2839
  • Like 1

Here is the one I drew in eagle. Its 100% based on Wizard of Wor arcade pcb. Astrocade and Wizard for Wor both use the same 'custom data' video IC. This pcb builds the circuitly right from the output pins on the custom data IC.

I hope to try in March.

I was looking at the WOW pcb schematic. There is something odd that it does. It has a signal coming from another TTL chip a 74ls257 through a resistor network then goes to the Video signal right before the RGB pcb. It looks like it may be injecting the vertical blanking signal. If that's the case your pcb above would not work. Check the WOW schematic for yourself.Maybe it is injecting an overlay sprite too. I can't really tell what its doing yet. I was using discrete transistors to make the RGB for testing.

Edited by juice2839
  • Like 1

I was looking at the WOW pcb schematic. There is something odd that it does. It has a signal coming from another TTL chip a 74ls257 through a resistor network then goes to the Video signal right before the RGB pcb. It looks like it may be injecting the vertical blanking signal. If that's the case your pcb above would not work. Check the WOW schematic for yourself.Maybe it is injecting an overlay sprite too. I can't really tell what its doing yet. I was using discrete transistors to make the RGB for testing.

I saw that section and did not add. I was not really sure what it was for. Hopefully you can make a simplier one we can all buy and add to our Astrocades:)

If this WoW one works I'll post and I'll let everyone know. But for near future I just need to get better healthwise.

• 5 weeks later...

Any news on a Composite solution?

I tried two composite video designs and they are both grainy. I see why my Astrocade has purple line on side, as it does with RF too :)

I can share the Eagle files if people want to have oshpark.com print the pcb to use. Just know that its grainy and not really any better than RF. Maybe a little bit better, but not by much.

I did get the Astrocade RGB board in, but I've not built it yet.

I did get the Astrocade RGB board in, but I've not built in yet.

Is that the same board used in the ColecoVision and Intellivision RGB mods? Those boards provide amazing output on my XRGB-mini Framemeister, so if something like that worked on the Astrocade, it would be the mother of all solutions.

Is that the same board used in the ColecoVision and Intellivision RGB mods? Those boards provide amazing output on my XRGB-mini Framemeister, so if something like that worked on the Astrocade, it would be the mother of all solutions.

This is a copy of the Wizard of Wor arcade's RGB circuit. Nothing to do with any other RGB mods.

The idea was since Wizard of Wor uses the same custom data chip as Astrocade console that perhaps WoW's RGB circuit could be used to provide better video quality. Hopefully it works.

Bill, Its not the same board as the Inty or Coleco. The Coleco and Inty are different from each other also, but the outputs are all the same. So if this works and I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work you can hook it up just the same as the Inty and Coleco Mods.

Edited by juice2839

Just found this thread while looking for info on my Astrocade SVideo Mod I purchased back in 2007 from 8bitdomain.

Anyone else purchased one of these ?

I had completely forgotten about it and only found it while checking out my old Multi-cart collection and found it in with my Bally Astrocade 72 in 1 Multicart.

Problem now is I never installed it and don't have a installation sheet. Have not done a Web search yet but thought maybe someone here may have done
it and still has the instructions. Also curious if there was any issues associated with it ?

Here are some pictures I just took. The last picture of the yellow Anti-static label was on the Multi-cart packaging and has 8Bitdomain written as the supplier.
As both have the same type anti-static label I am assuming they both came from the same place. Ebay receipt for the Multicart is dated Jan 2007

svideo_mod1.jpg

svideo_mod2.jpg

svideo_mod3.jpg

svideo_mod4.jpg

This is pretty well made! And installing it will be simple.

The RF module on the Astrocade is conencted with a connector. you remove the RF module and you stick the board on the pins, then you use the cables that came with your set. I guess you'll need to dtrill holes into your console, of if they are long enough, you pull them out from where the RF cable come out.

No soldering required.

Thanks CatPix That sounds pretty straight forward but still have a question about the black clip jumper connector (second photo, middle right side its attached on the S-Video internal wire bundle) not sure were that would connect. I may have to dig out my old computer I vaguely remember having a text file for this

• 2 months later...

Is there any kind of working A\V mod (SVideo, Composite or RGB) available for the Bally Astrocade at the moment?

8bitdomain website ceased trading quite a few years back, but think they also sold out of these before that. I am sure there is still a (small) market for something like this.

I wish you had sent me a PM about this :-(

The reason I would like one\something is I live in England and the Astrocade uses USA RF frequencies which are different to UK RF frequencies, where most USA systems used channels 1 and 2 and using NTSC rather than PAL. I do not own a USA CRT TV, but I do own a Bally Astrocade. I also take my systems to gaming shows here in the UK and it would be nice to have taken the Bally Astrocade to a UK Event, as I have never seen one at a UK Event before (possibly due to the USA RF I have mentioned).

If anyone else has one for sale (or even a pre-modded Astrocade at a reasonable price) please send me a PM.

• 1 year later...

Here is the one I drew in eagle. Its 100% based on Wizard of Wor arcade pcb. Astrocade and Wizard for Wor both use the same 'custom data' video IC. This pcb builds the circuitly right from the output pins on the custom data IC.

I hope to try in March.

So looking at the schematics for Wizards of Wor I see diodes on every R G B line why does your PCB only have one ?

I am highly interested in this RGB thing seeing how the S-Video kits have been discontinued.

I'm copying the schematics from the user manual if interested here's a link of what I have so far:

https://easyeda.com/hotdog6394/Bally_Astrocade_RGB-4W86GgdNn

Edited by the_crayon_king

So looking at the schematics for Wizards of Wor I see diodes on every R G B line why does your PCB only have one ?

I am highly interested in this RGB thing seeing how the S-Video kits have been discontinued.

I'm copying the schematics from the user manual if interested here's a link of what I have so far:

On second look I see that the Bally outputs at the RF box:

B-Y, R-Y, Chroma, and "Video"

I would suspect that "Video" Is Y Luma/Sync.

I wonder if something simple like the THS7314 would be enough to get the signals in spec?

Or maybe even using the Wizard of Wor stuff to get the signals basically in line and then the THS7314 to smooth it out.

Once again I need an O-scope :(

Edited by the_crayon_king

I have not looked at this in a long time and have no plans to produce a RGB kit.