IGNORED

Breakout-Based Non-Infringing Video Game

Luigi301

I need to turn Atari coordinates into BB coordinates for my collision detection to work. collision(missile0,playfield) just makes the game weird out as soon as the missile touches the playfield.

I'm trying to make it so that whenever the missile touches a colored playfield pixel, it turns off a playfield tile.

Is that possible?

Edited by Luigi301

You can give the paddles variable speeds with the fire button... just hold down the fire button to double the speed of the paddle.

Also, if you're looking for new, copyright-safe names for your game, might I suggest these?

HIT THE BRICKS

BREAKER/BREAKER (a reference to the two player mode)

THE GREAT DIVIDE

PADDLE BATTLE

BRICKIN' 2: ELECTRIC BOOGALOO

and of course...

STEVE

JR

• 2 months later...

Okay, I tried the code converter and the compiled code didn't work.

Output from the compiler:
DASM V2.20.10, Macro Assembler (C)1988-2004
     bytes of ROM space left
     1578 bytes of ROM space left
--- Unresolved Symbol List
ROM2k                    0000 ????         (R )
NO_ILLEGAL_OPCODES       0000 ????         (R )
0.31                     0000 ????         (R )
--- 3 Unresolved Symbols

Fatal assembly error: Source is not resolvable.
Press any key to continue . .  

Okay, I tried the code converter and the compiled code didn't work.

Output from the compiler:
DASM V2.20.10, Macro Assembler (C)1988-2004
     bytes of ROM space left
--- Unresolved Symbol List
ROM2k                    0000 ????         (R )
NO_ILLEGAL_OPCODES       0000 ????         (R )
0.31                     0000 ????         (R )
--- 3 Unresolved Symbols

Fatal assembly error: Source is not resolvable.
Press any key to continue . .  

940986[/snapback]

That looks pretty familiar! :) Try adding "include div_mul.asm" at the beginning of your game and see if that clears up the error. If it doesn't, generate a listing of the code as it compiles, and then scan the listing for error messages. Or, post your code and let me look into it, I've had to fix a lot of those types of errors in my own programs, but they aren't always the same things causing them IIRC.

Michael Rideout

• 3 weeks later...
Nope. I'll attach my source code for poking/"omgwtfishedoingthere"ing.

952322[/snapback]

The problem is a line number that's missing or typed incorrectly, here:

30 if switchleftb then goto 50 else goto 31
50 if v = 0 then goto 800
51 if joy0fire && m = 0 then goto startball

There is no line number 31 anywhere is the program, so either it got left out by mistake, or perhaps it's supposed to say "else goto 51" instead.

Michael Rideout

• 4 weeks later...
I don't know what the @!*# I did, but it works again. Now to put in a working ball.

969709[/snapback]

Did you see my reply from Oct. 21? The problem was being caused by a reference to a line number that didn't exist. So in making other changes, you probably fixed the line number problem without realizing it! :)

Michael Rideout

I don't know what the @!*# I did, but it works again. Now to put in a working ball.

969709[/snapback]

Did you see my reply from Oct. 21? The problem was being caused by a reference to a line number that didn't exist. So in making other changes, you probably fixed the line number problem without realizing it! :)

Michael Rideout

970161[/snapback]

Hey SeaGt... I guess I'm a little slow. It took me until now to realize that your avatar is the Swordquest Fireworld chalice, and that you won it back in '84.

http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Lair/9260/sqfw.html

Do you still have the chalice?

969709[/snapback]

Michael Rideout

970161[/snapback]

I fixed that and it still didn't work, I figured out I was checking variable M, which I never set.

969709[/snapback]

Michael Rideout

970161[/snapback]

Hey SeaGt... I guess I'm a little slow. It took me until now to realize that your avatar is the Swordquest Fireworld chalice, and that you won it back in '84.

http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Lair/9260/sqfw.html

Do you still have the chalice?

970334[/snapback]

Yes, I still have it. When I joined AtariAge, I couldn't think of anything else to use as an avatar.

Michael Rideout

969709[/snapback]

Michael Rideout

970161[/snapback]

I fixed that and it still didn't work, I figured out I was checking variable M, which I never set.

970421[/snapback]

The line number problem is what was causing the compile error, but you're right that the program still wouldn't run (even though it would at least compile) after the line number was fixed. I had looked at your code, and tried to reorganize it or clean it up, but I was kind of busy with other things and didn't have time to figure out everything you were doing, so I put it aside. I'm glad you got it working again. I can post my unfinished version of the reorganized code if you want, keeping in mind that it doesn't run correctly.

Michael Rideout

Yeah, having un-spaghettied code would really help :)

And so would that Stella with uber-debugger someone posted a few months ago, is that out yet?

970989[/snapback]

Well, I could try to clean up the version I started, and post it for you, but it sounds like you've already added a lot more to the game. If you want to post an updated version of the source, I could un-spaghetti-fy it for you.

Michael Rideout