IGNORED

Vectrex Arcade System any good ?

Draikar

I was wandering if the Vectrex is a good system to invest in, I like the retro look but dose it have good game play (hours of fun) for a game room ? Is it prone to break downs / stop working for no reason like Atari 5200 controller ? If I get one are there anything I should look for when buying one ?

The Vectrex is one of the coolest game consoles of the '80s. It definitely blows the Atari 5200 away, and the controller doesn't have as many problems. Even if your controller ends up bad, John Dondzilla sells rewired Sega Genesis control pads made to work on the Vectrex.

Vectrex is awesome.

They do tend to hum a bit but if you like vector games from back in the day you can't go wrong with one, hum aside.

The good news is they are actually cheaper to pick up these days then they were...Oh say 6 or 7 years ago.

Vectrex is a very fun system. Probably the only non-Atari I would collect. Plus, they appear to be coming down in price quite a bit on ebay.. I picked up a spare the other day for a BIN of $39!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

If you are purely interested in gaming, just get a console and one of the multicarts. You won't be dissapointed.

The Vectrex is one of the truly unique game systems you will ever come across. However, the same could be said of the Virtual Boy too, but it doesn't necessarily mean they're good. It's the only vector-based home system that was ever released, so if you think you've seen and done everything there is to do, then you definitely should give the system a try. It certainly has one of the best Asteroids rip-off's around, and probably the most faithful ports you'll ever see of games like Armor Attack, Star Castle and Space War.

However, if you want to compare it to other consoles, the library is awfully small, with only 28 cartridges officially released (3 of which I wouldn't even call "games"). And honestly, it's generally only good at games that used vector monitors in the arcade anyways... games like Berzerk didn't turn out all that well. It's also pretty pricey, especially if you add in shipping and handling costs since the thing is big and heavy. Finally, the controller is pretty terrible.

If you do end up buying a Vectrex though, do yourself a favor and seek out the YASI/Protector homebrew cartridge. It has AMAZING conversions of Space Invaders and Defender that break my rule about bad raster-to-vector conversions.

--Zero

The Vectrex is one of the truly unique game systems you will ever come across. However, the same could be said of the Virtual Boy too, but it doesn't necessarily mean they're good. It's the only vector-based home system that was ever released, so if you think you've seen and done everything there is to do, then you definitely should give the system a try. It certainly has one of the best Asteroids rip-off's around, and probably the most faithful ports you'll ever see of games like Armor Attack, Star Castle and Space War.

However, if you want to compare it to other consoles, the library is awfully small, with only 28 cartridges officially released (3 of which I wouldn't even call "games"). And honestly, it's generally only good at games that used vector monitors in the arcade anyways... games like Berzerk didn't turn out all that well. It's also pretty pricey, especially if you add in shipping and handling costs since the thing is big and heavy. Finally, the controller is pretty terrible.

If you do end up buying a Vectrex though, do yourself a favor and seek out the YASI/Protector homebrew cartridge. It has AMAZING conversions of Space Invaders and Defender that break my rule about bad raster-to-vector conversions.

--Zero

902245[/snapback]

If you do get a vectrex i'd agree you should get the YASI/protector cart. I prefer both of them to the Atari versions. I also like Mine Storm more than most versions of Asteroids. I can't say I play my vectrex as much as my nes or genesis or anything but it is a very cool system to have if you can pick one up at a reasonable price. I'm not a big fan of the controller but I don't think they're prone to breaking like the 5200 one. Either way it's a nice unique system.

Y'know, back in 1997, I would have said, "No, don't buy it", but these days, I've come to appreciate its qualities. There are plenty of homebrew titles for the Vectrex, including the aforementioned (and completely awesome) YASI/Protector. Whatever you're playing on the Vectrex, the graphics will almost certainly be better than on competing classic game consoles, without the choppiness of Intellivision games or the blockiness of 5200 titles.

You'll find a list of Vectrex game reviews on this site. It should give you a pretty good idea of what to expect from the system.

http://grblitz.overclocked.org/vectrex.htm

JR

I also like Mine Storm more than most versions of Asteroids.

Yah.

It's quite rare that a knock-off surpasses the original, but MineStorm does.

I'm not a big fan of the controller but I don't think they're prone to breaking like the 5200 one.

Not as rapidly anyways. My 4 button is fairly unresponsive after years of abuse.

But hey, it held up to 2 decades of beatings.

Vectrex Arcade System any good ? 

Is sex fun? :ponder: :D

Yeah, the Vectrex is really fun. I just got one last Xmas and I love it. The library is small, but a very large portion of that library is really fun to play and the system has a lively homebrew scene as well. In fact, with the exception of clean sweep (which isn't bad), I love every game I own. Pick one up, you won't regret it.

I got a Vectrex about 2 weeks ago. I was doing it more for the collector in me than as an actual gaming machine... until I tried Minestorm. Man I cannot tell you how astonished I was after seeing what a kick-ass game that is. I haven't yet tried any of the other games, but for me, a Vectrex is well worth it for the built-in game alone. 140,000 points and climbing!

How neccecary are the overlays for the screen?

Not at all.

I play without overlays.

I prefer the look of pure unfiltered vectors. Streaks and flares are not artifacts to be minimized(the primary purpose of Vectrex overlays). They are part of what makes the vector display grea, and should be gazed upon with awe.

But don't gaze-with-awe too much. That magnetic-fireball mine is coming up on your ass pretty quick.

If you're into vintage game systems (and if you aren't you wouldn't be here) you need to buy a Vectrex as quickly as possible. It is well and truly the coolest home game system ever.

On the subject of homebrews, check out Vectrex Thrust.

-S

How neccecary are the overlays for the screen? I've been doing some slight research on these things for awhile, and I'm almost ready to take the plunge.

902880[/snapback]

I will beg to differ somewhat with JB. I think it depends on the game and the lighting conditions. The overlays work best in a dark environment. Games where the overlay adds color to individual features, like the colored sun in Solar Quest, look fantastic in a dark room. They can really bring back that old arcade feel. A lot of overlays do nothing for the game, though. Berzerk's overlay is completely blank in the gameplay area, for instance! Somewhere (I think it was in a GCE manual) I read a claim that the overlays improve the persistence of the image (reduce flicker), but I'm not sure how that could be.

Overlays are sometimes necessary. Armor..Attack! for example isn't very playable if you don't know where the barriers are (as indicated by the overlay).

Just the same though I will cast my lot in with the "Coolest system ever" lot. Certainly the most unique -- I wouldn't count Virtual Boy in with that. Dual screen HMDs were available for PC prior to that, and LCD shutter glasses were made for Sega Master System and Atari ST in the 80s. Heck, even the Vectrex had a very short-lived 3D headset.

Nonetheless there were no other vector consoles ever made, and it's the only home system that faithfully reproduced Cinematronics games. Definitely worth picking up. I've had two of them throughout my collecting, but I've had to sell them both for reasons of finances unfortunately. I'd love to pick up (and keep) another eventually.

I just picked up one of these in good condition at the Orange Coast College fair about 2 months ago for 5 dollars. I walked by the thing three times before it sunk it that I was looking at a vectrex system. I casually asked how much and when he said 5 bucks I couldn't open my wallet fast enough.

So far all I have is the included game Mindstorm, but all I can say is 'Wow'. If you take the console as a whole package including style, monitor, controller, the fun of playing and the closeness to an arcade experience, I would say hands down this is best console ever. I mean seriously, it plays so much better than the other consoles (2600, intellivision, etc) of that era.

The controls are tight, and heck how many objects can this thing display at once? How many mines are on the screen in Mindstorm? It seems like it totally bypassed the limitations of normal home consoles. And the music is cool too.

This thing was really ahead of its time. Wow, how did it possibly fail? It was built like a tank too. I mean really they don't build things like this anymore, not for $200 or whatever it retailed for.

Anyone know where I can get one of those multicart for a reasonable price by the way?

Overlays are sometimes necessary.  Armor..Attack! for example isn't very playable if you don't know where the barriers are (as indicated by the overlay).

Just the same though I will cast my lot in with the "Coolest system ever" lot.  Certainly the most unique -- I wouldn't count Virtual Boy in with that.  Dual screen HMDs were available for PC prior to that, and LCD shutter glasses were made for Sega Master System and Atari ST in the 80s.  Heck, even the Vectrex had a very short-lived 3D headset.

Nonetheless there were no other vector consoles ever made, and it's the only home system that faithfully reproduced Cinematronics games.  Definitely worth picking up.  I've had two of them throughout my collecting, but I've had to sell them both for reasons of finances unfortunately. I'd love to pick up (and keep) another eventually.

903352[/snapback]

Maybe this one (not mine) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=8209155050 ?

Draikar too, this may be a good time to buy a Vectrex. I'm seeing them go for 30-50 bux (working console & possibly a few games, not likely boxed)... that is about half what they went for not to long ago. The prices are really down, despite this being a great collectable system.

I blame (credit?) this to an upsurge in vintage Atari console sales (5200, 7800) vs. ultra rare 2600 carts and Vectrex consoles.

Anyone know where I can get one of those multicart for a reasonable price by the way?

903623[/snapback]

Well, these multicarts keep showing up on ebay. The 4-cart (28 games) seems to be the best deal w/shipping cost : http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=8209054184 .. don't know anything about them, though. Maybe someone else does?

The Sean Kelley multicart is what I have, but a quick web/ebay search indicates they are getting hard to find.

Might try to email this guy, too.

Or just check here : http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.games.vectrex

Edited by hookem

The controls are tight, and heck how many objects can this thing display at once? How many mines are on the screen in Mindstorm? It seems like it totally bypassed the limitations of normal home consoles. And the music is cool too.

The Vectrex wasn't limited by traditional notions -- sprites, vertical blanks, rasters, are all foriegn concepts to a vector-based system. When it comes to display it's effectively all about line drawing. Plot here, drawto there, point here. The primary limitation is a combination of the refresh rate of the display and the display's deflection circuitry. Normal raster images are refreshed predictably; left to right, top to bottom, 60 (or 50 in PAL) times per second. The raster beam has pretty much the same job every frame -- draw from left to right, working its way to the bottom, then returning to the top to do it all over again. Vector images on the other hand are built arbitrarily using straight lines or points. More to the point, vector images must be constantly maintained and refreshed -- there's no buffer hardware to store data in to feed the CRT every frame, it's all drawn line by line in real time, and there are only so many lines it can draw per frame.

This thing was really ahead of its time.  Wow, how did it possibly fail?

They didn't advertize much, it didn't have real colour, and although they had arcade-perfect ports of numerous vector games (and some vectorized versions of raster games) they didn't have the most popular games -- almost all of which were raster games. Also, it came out in 1982, so it didn't even have two years of marketability before the market itself crashed.

Also, although it was a cool all-in-one package, screen included, I think it was just a bit too outside the norm for most folk to feel comfortable with. Most people didn't really understand what vectors were all about. They understood Pac Man and Space Invaders. Those monochromatic line drawings seemed primitive by comparison. It was, unfortunately, relegated to becoming one of those systems whose uniqueness we only truly appreciate after the fact, now that we've left the age of vector and finally understood what it was all about.

How neccecary are the overlays for the screen?

They do add a lot to the experience. Best of all, you can make an entire set for under $10. Really!

All you have to do is download the zip file with the scans of the overlays (on the emulator page), measure the size of the coverage area on the vectrex that they are supposed to cover, then take the scans down to kinkos, office max or whatever, and have them print you out a set on transparencies that match the size. Then just trim the excess off, and if you're really anal, paint the opaque parts (on the back of the film) with white paint. They work great, and add a lot to the experience!

I'd post the links, but I'm at work.

I just picked up one of these in good condition at the Orange Coast College fair about 2 months ago for 5 dollars. I walked by the thing three times before it sunk it that I was looking at a vectrex system. I casually asked how much and when he said 5 bucks I couldn't open my wallet fast enough.

*drools*

*drools some more*

*continues drooling*

*shorts keyboard with puddle of drool*

That's one hell of a deal.

So far all I have is the included game Mindstorm, but all I can say is 'Wow'. If you take the console as a whole package including style, monitor, controller, the fun of playing and the closeness to an arcade experience, I would say hands down this is best console ever. I mean seriously, it plays so much better than the other consoles (2600, intellivision, etc) of that era.

Yah. And I think the Minelayer seeding the field probably counts as the first "cinematic" cutscene in video game history(and I refuse to believe it's not a direct ripoff of the Star Wars opening, with the Star Destroyer chasing Princess Leia's ship).

The controls are tight, and heck how many objects can this thing display at once?

Depends on the detail level, for teh reasons Mindfield explained. Berzerk can put a LOT on the screen, but the robots are too detailed and it gets sluggish past about 8 'bots.

How many mines are on the screen in Mindstorm? It seems like it totally bypassed the limitations of normal home consoles.

Lets see... 4 mines... each spawns into medium mines on kill, each of those spawns 2 mini-mines on kill...

16. Plus the minelayer(comes in when the field is nearly cleared to reseed), plus whatever new seeds it lays.

And the music is cool too.

Duh-duh duh-duhhhh... duh-duh duh-duh-duh.

This thing was really ahead of its time.

Indeed.

Wow, how did it possibly fail? It was built like a tank too. I mean really they don't build things like this anymore, not for $200 or whatever it retailed for.

Well... it launched right before the crash.

And the integrated display meant that there was a limit to how low they could take the price relative to the competition. Essentially, they were selling a TV and a game machine in one box, and that limited how low they could go while remaining profitable.

Edited by JB