IGNORED

Concepting a Conversion #2: The Dreadnaught Factor

Cybergoth

EDIT: Found the demo in [stella] - Wow!

903996[/snapback]

Can you post the link or binary - all the versions that I can find give me messages like "Cannot read file '/home/biguser/www/lists/stella/archives/200404/bin00030.bin': Only configured to highlight HTML files."

Thanks,

Chris

EDIT: Found the demo in [stella] - Wow!

903996[/snapback]

Can you post the link or binary - all the versions that I can find give me messages like "Cannot read file '/home/biguser/www/lists/stella/archives/200404/bin00030.bin': Only configured to highlight HTML files."

Thanks,

Chris

904011[/snapback]

Sure.

Linky: http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archiv...4/msg00219.html

Binary attached.

EDIT: Attached a screenshot too, though it really doesn't do it justice.

RiverRampageDemo.bin

post-6060-1123105109_thumb.png

Edited by vdub_bobby

First of all...NICE choice of game! I loved this on my Atari 8bit, and the Intellivision version was neat as well.

You know, horizontal scrolling might be interesting on this. I know it would be chunky , and side scrolling can be kind of painful, but you could have more ship bits side by side I suppose....

First of all...NICE choice of game!  I loved this on my Atari 8bit, and the Intellivision version was neat as well.

You know, horizontal scrolling might be interesting on this. I know it would be chunky , and side scrolling can be kind of painful, but you could have more ship bits side by side I suppose....

904530[/snapback]

Problem with sidescrolling is it requires a asymmetrical playfield and that really eats into your kernel time (probably requiring 2-line resolution on all sprites) as well as making repositioning mid-kernel difficult.

Plus, if you are going to scroll an asymmetrical playfield left or right it would almost certainly require you to store the playfield data in RAM.

Plus, if you are going to scroll an asymmetrical playfield left or right it would almost certainly require you to store the playfield data in RAM.

Not necessarily. Those dreadnaughts are such low-detail brutes that you could get away with using a massively blocky kernel, like say a 10-line one. That might give you enough time to shift the playfield data in-kernel.

Not necessarily. Those dreadnaughts are such low-detail brutes that you could get away with using a massively blocky kernel, like say a 10-line one. That might give you enough time to shift the playfield data in-kernel.

904672[/snapback]

That's why I said "almost." ;)

Hi there!

Problem with sidescrolling is it requires a asymmetrical playfield and that really eats into your kernel time (probably requiring 2-line resolution on all sprites) as well as making repositioning mid-kernel difficult.

The vertical scrolling will most likely require 2L resolution on all sprites as well, as it'll need lotsa repositioning lines (~30 per frame) and playfield update lines (every 6th line).

Greetings,

Manuel