IGNORED

FB2 Radar Lock and Secret Quest

Hi all,

First, this unit kicks ass....this is a friggin perfect looking unit and the joysticks are awesome. I bought two so that I can house a personal project in the other :)!

Here are some additional problems I am having with the FB2 in addition to the Quadrun voice...I haven't seen anyone else mention them....my FB2s might be a corner case or something...

1> Radar Lock will not play! I get the title screen, but when I launch, I cannot play the game....it seems to reset back to the title screen right after takeoff.

2> Secret Quest has slightly garbled graphics in the intro screen. The copyright date is garbled and the I in Atari is fouled up. You may not notice this, but it is there on my unit.

The one problem I don't hear is the Haunted House sound....sounds fine to me...

Please, if anyone else has these issues, let me know! I cannot believe I am the only one thus far. If I am, this is hitting Ebay as the ultra-ultra-ultra-ultra rare unit! :) Or, will trade for a Quadrun :P!

Other than that, I cannot stop playing the damn thing! This thing is going to sell like gangbusters! If this doesn't hit 1,000,000 units by next year, I will be shocked!

Ed

Either your FB2 is really broken or the compatibility is lower than 100%. This would show especially at more advanced programmed games, like the ones you mentioned.

I really hope it is just your unit. :|

Can anybody confirm those problems?

908958[/snapback]

So Far Ed's the only one to surface with such a problem, I've had 20 random pulls from shipments and none have shown what Ed describes, just the missing audio issues from Quadrun, so it may have been a bad eprom burn for his unit. I would like to hear of anyone else experiencing any issues though.

Curt

On mine, in Missile Command there's a dark stripe under the missile base. Other than that, just the already-reported glitches-- no sound in Quadrun, almost impossible-to-see guy in Adventure II (in the starting area), occasionally unreachable item in Atari Climber, vsync errors in Asteroids Deluxe/Space Duel/Yars' Return.

Edited by ZylonBane

On mine, in Missile Command there's a dark stripe under the missile base. Other than that, just the already-reported glitches-- no sound in Quadrun, almost impossible-to-see guy in Adventure II (in the starting area), occasionally unreachable item in Atari Climber, vsync errors in Asteroids Deluxe/Space Duel/Yars' Return.

909062[/snapback]

I also have this issue w. Missile Command...it is harder to see on my TV (large widescreen Panasonic LCD ... reminds me....I need a hi-def TIA :P )

I have also run my system on an old Commodore 1084 monitor and I see this behavior, so I know it isn't the ultra-high resolution of my screen playing games with me.

Curt, I am willing to send you the PCBs from my unit that does this should you want to see it yourself. I bought mine at the W. Mifflin Wal Mart near Pittsburgh, PA on Sunday, so this is definately one of the early units.

I will get pics later today...I know I am not going crazy w. Secret Quest....that is a definate glitch...as far as Radar Lock is concerned, I have tried every way to start the game under every difficulty setting and it still wants to go back to the main screen after starting. I just noticed the bar in Missile Command this morning.

Ed

2> Secret Quest has slightly garbled graphics in the intro screen.  The copyright date is garbled and the I in Atari is fouled up.

i just had a look at the game. The problem sounds like a timing problem in games using the 48-pixel trick to display detailed graphics or 6 digit scores.

I suppose the garbled parts contain data from further to the left (89 ~ RIG) and (I ~= TA), right?

909062[/snapback]

Aha -- I thought the Missile Command thing was just a mis-remembering on my part.