IGNORED

Flashback cart mod

Considering FB2s aren't particularly expensive or tough to obtain (sooner or later), it would make sense for someone to offer a flat price for complete modded FB2 systems, instead of having someone send theirs in to be modded. Like 50 bucks or more for a FB2 modded with a cartridge port and switch to enable/disable the internal games.

Wonder how tough it is to put a switch in the cart port itself, activated when a cartridge is inserted, and the normal game selection when no cart is in the slot.

Considering FB2s aren't particularly expensive or tough to obtain (sooner or later), it would make sense for someone to offer a flat price for complete modded FB2 systems, instead of having someone send theirs in to be modded. Like 50 bucks or more for a FB2 modded with a cartridge port and switch to enable/disable the internal games.

Wonder how tough it is to put a switch in the cart port itself, activated when a cartridge is inserted, and the normal game selection when no cart is in the slot.

909778[/snapback]

A small leaf switch or even a push button similar to those used in the 7800 and/or ST mouse could be used so that when the cartridge is inserted it could automatically switch over....

Curt

909778[/snapback]

I'm sure soon we'll start seeing "NEW Atari Flashback 2 WITH CART SLOT ADDED!!!" auctions on eBay with either a fixed selling price of between $90 to $100 or auctions going well over $100 (and even higher selling prices if the auction includes some cartridges).

909778[/snapback]

Of course if you wanted your FB2 to be cartridge-only, all you'd have to do is add the cart slot, cut the traces leading to the menu chip, and neglect to add the switch, right? I might get another FB2 and make it cartridge-only.

I'm sure soon we'll start seeing "NEW Atari Flashback 2 WITH CART SLOT ADDED!!!" auctions on eBay with either a fixed selling price of between $90 to $100 or auctions going well over $100 (and even higher selling prices if the auction includes some cartridges).

910748[/snapback]

Not very often you won't. Moded systems are on the Epay Epolice bad list so 7 out of 10 of them will be pulled within the hour they are listed unfortunatly. IT would be nice for eveyone to have open access to the moded FB2 cause it has alot of classics built in and then you can just buy the carts for whatever game suits your tastes past the built in games. I know the soccer moms & dads would love it anyhow.

Putting the switch in the cart port is the best suggestion I've heard yet!  Awesome idea!

909914[/snapback]

Here's a better one by John Soper: Flashback 2s with Automatic Cartridge Support

It switches electronically by sensing the cartridge presence - no mechanical switch to wear out, break, or have finicky alignment issues!

BTW, it seems that the FB2 is not 100% compatible with existing 2600 cartridges. More research needs to be done, but so far it looks like about 75%. Cosmic Ark and Galaxian are two games known to have problems. I'm sure others will be added to the list.

Edited by A.J. Franzman

I'm sure others will be added to the list.

914421[/snapback]

Bezerk, Stargate, and Pitfall2 off the top of my head. Solaris did work which surprised me and all the built-in games also worked as carts so it seems like it's not my workmanship. However, I'd like someone else to hack on a connector and confirm this. Still love the product though. Heck, what's 30 bucks these days? Taking someone to see Gigli with popcorn and sodas. :D

I'm sure others will be added to the list.

914421[/snapback]

Bezerk, Stargate, and Pitfall2 off the top of my head. Solaris did work which surprised me and all the built-in games also worked as carts so it seems like it's not my workmanship. However, I'd like someone else to hack on a connector and confirm this. Still love the product though. Heck, what's 30 bucks these days? Taking someone to see Gigli with popcorn and sodas. :D

914664[/snapback]

This must be another reason why the cart port was not included in the retail design..