IGNORED

Millipede on the Flashback 2 - which v. did u get?

Apparently, there are two different versions of Millipede on the Flashback 2. Which did you get? Go to http://www.atariprotos.com/2600/software/millipede/gccproto.htm to see the differences.  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Apparently, there are two different versions of Millipede on the Flashback 2. Which did you get? Go to http://www.atariprotos.com/2600/software/millipede/gccproto.htm to see the differences.

• [img]http://www.atariprotos.com/2600/software/millipede/atariplayer.png[/img]I got the Atari version, with the blocky shooter and the DDT bombs!
    • [img]http://www.atariprotos.com/2600/software/millipede/gccplayer.png[/img]I got the GCC version, with the space-ship shaped shooter and the taller mushrooms!

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

General Computer Corporation.  They were essentially responsible for developing the 7800.  It all ties back to the law suit over the Food Fight issue.

915240[/snapback]

There's more to the story than that. GCC created an unauthorized upgrade to Missle Command called Super Missile Attack. Atari sued them and the settlement was to do some work for Atari. They made three arcade games, only two of them ever got finished. Those were Food Fight and Quantum. The last one was a game called Nightmare. It's currently a PCB in somebody's collection. They also created Ms Pac-man.

They indeed developed the 7800 and the first 10 or so for that system. One wonders what would've happened if they kept developing for the 7800.

So it looks like there are 2 versions out there so far:

No Voice with GCC Millipede

No Voice with Atari Millipede

I expect the voice issue was addressed (because Curt said it was) so we we will have one or both of the following:

Voice with GCC Millipede

Voice with Atari Millipede

Could there be 4 variations for collectors to pick up?

913072[/snapback]

Not having seen these in stores yet, is there any way of knowing for sure whether or not it will have the voice? For example, a certain serial number range on the box or something. Should I hold off for a while to be sure the voice issue was surely fixed, or is that an old issue that I don't need to be concerned about?

I haven't seen anyone complain about this yet, but with Centipede (I know this is mostly about Millipede, but with so many FB2 threads, this seems to be the most appropriate) can anyone else get 2 players with it? On mine I press select and I only get the 'teddy' difficulty or regular. No choice for two players and I know that Centipede should allow for two players. Yet another bug?

It would be kind of cool if the GCC version of Millipede can be unlocked, that would be a good surprise. But how to access it if that's true...

I haven't seen anyone complain about this yet, but with Centipede (I know this is mostly about Millipede, but with so many FB2 threads, this seems to be the most appropriate) can anyone else get 2 players with it? On mine I press select and I only get the 'teddy' difficulty or regular. No choice for two players and I know that Centipede should allow for two players. Yet another bug?

920204[/snapback]

Dude, it's not a bug in VCS Centipede. Your memory has the bug in it. :ponder:

post-2410-1125247344_thumb.jpg

920204[/snapback]

Dude, it's not a bug in VCS Centipede. Your memory has the bug in it. :ponder:

920206[/snapback]

The FB2 manual shouldn't list it as being for 2 players then. And thanks for pointing out my buggy memory, there seem to be a few of you around here seem to pride yourselves on such childish behavior.

Edited by Shaggy the Atarian

And thanks for pointing out my buggy memory, there seem to be a few of you around here seem to pride yourselves on such childish behavior.

920220[/snapback]

Ummm ... we're all talking about video games from the 1980s here. Childish? Suck a brick.

920232[/snapback]

I was wrong about Centipede allowing for two players, my mistake. They should at least change that in the FB2 manual if nothing else.

Edited by Shaggy the Atarian

The Flashback 2 manual has a bunch of errors in it; I have a feeling there's not going to be a reprint of it. I hope the online manual comes up soon. Nothing there so far ... maybe it will go live at the time of the "official launch" in early October?

Edited by Flojomojo

The manual is rather dissapointing, especially in the game descriptions/instructions. They really more work there to properly describe the gameplay, controls, and options.

Not to mention the Space Duel writeup mentions gameplay with connected ships, which isn't in the Flashback versions.

Does anyone know where I can get the rom to the GCC version? I'd like to play it on my CC2.

Various places around here. Here's one http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=34786

922202[/snapback]

Cool, I just threw it on my CC2, and it doesn't roll at all. Makes me want to find a GCC version of the FB2 now :)

I'm guessing the GCC Millipede is the PAL version which would cause a rolling screen on an NTSC television.  If any of you can set your TV to PAL that could make it stable, anyone tried that yet?

922260[/snapback]

The FB2 I saw at a gaming show was hooked up to a video projector that auto-detected PAL when playing Millipede. The image was stable, but grainy black and white since the projector wasn't looking for a 3.579545MHz chroma.

Just picked up a second FB2. shoulda waited a bit longer, as this one is also Quadrun-speech-free, but at least it has the Atari Millipede (got one of each kind now).

Guessing it's related to the Quadrun issue - I noticed the Millipede "marching" noise seems to be missing. anyone else notice this?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...