IGNORED

Mantra

seemo

Hi Everybody,

here's my first attempt at 2600 game prog : it's a simple rhythm game, using Playfield graphics.

I'd like to know if it runs correctly on a hardware 2600, and of course if it's funny ;)

I'd like to say Thank You to Andrew Davie, without his great tutorial this game wouldn't exist :)

So, have fun... and keep the Mantra alive !

Simone

mantra.bin

Oops, seems like I spent too much time with this game... :ponder:

Well, all you have to do is move the joystick in the direction relative to the current symbol. There's a symbol for each of the 4 main directions, and a symbol for fire.

When you move the joystick in the correct direction, the next symbol of the sequence becomes the current one, and so on...

When a sequence encounters an empty cell, it's completed and a score is given to the player, depending on the length of the sequence.

When the player fails to complete a sequence, the symbols it's made of are turned to blocked, and their color change.

When the player completes a sequence, only unblocked symbols are removed from the sequence; blocked symbols are turned to unblocked but remain in the matrix.

The game ends when the 32 cell matrix is full of symbols.

For two player variations, each player's symbols are colored with a different color. 'Me first !' mode starts with neutral color : the first player to move the joystick becomes the 'owner' of the sequence.

'Alternate' and 'Sequence' modes are cooperative, while 'versus' and 'me first !' are competitive.

'So far' mode only shows the current sequence up to the current symbol, hiding the remaining symbols of the sequence (this challenges memory :) ).

Sorry for the omission... I hope this helps !

Simone

I still don't get it. Is the some timer running? :?  :?  :?

913293[/snapback]

You have to hit the joystick in rhythm - not too slow, not too fast. Too slow/fast and you fail.

Plus, as a given sequence gets longer you have to speed up. But when a new sequence begins it is back at the original speed. It took me several tries before I began to get a "feel" for the rhythm and how fast to speed up for the longer sequences. It is pretty hard.

EDIT: It is kinda similar, I think, to those dancing games (with the mats). Except without the visual cues for when to hit the next in the sequence. We should get keilbaca in here, see what he can do with this - :ponder:

Edited by vdub_bobby

After you moved the joystick in the right direction for the current symbol, you 'simply' have to wait for the next symbol to become colored : when this happens you know you can move the joystick according to the new symbol.

The big 'visual clue', however, is impled in the chance to see all the symbols of the current sequence.

You can employ a kind of 'forward motion' : while moving the joystick for current symbol, you can prepare yourself for the next symbol, because you see it.

If you play in 'so far' mode you have to actually remember the symbols, because you won't see those beyond the current one.

Simone

Oops, seems like I spent too much time with this game...  :ponder:

Well, all you have to do is move the joystick in the direction relative to the current symbol. There's a symbol for each of the 4 main directions, and a symbol for fire.

When you move the joystick in the correct direction, the next symbol of the sequence becomes the current one, and so on...

When a sequence encounters an empty cell, it's completed and a score is given to the player, depending on the length of the sequence.

When the player fails to complete a sequence, the symbols it's made of are turned to blocked, and their color change.

When the player completes a sequence, only unblocked symbols are removed from the sequence; blocked symbols are turned to unblocked but remain in the matrix.

The game ends when the 32 cell matrix is full of symbols.

For two player variations, each player's symbols are colored with a different color. 'Me first !' mode starts with neutral color : the first player to move the joystick becomes the 'owner' of the sequence.

'Alternate' and 'Sequence' modes are cooperative, while 'versus' and 'me first !' are competitive.

'So far' mode only shows the current sequence up to the current symbol, hiding the remaining symbols of the sequence (this challenges memory  :) ).

Sorry for the omission... I hope this helps !

Simone

913242[/snapback]

Jeez guys, it's totally self-explanatory... ;)

This is probably the first time I've ever agreed with ZylonBane about anything, but he's right... the game is entirely too confusing for its own good. I'm not sure what to press because the screen is cluttered with random, difficult to read arrows. They don't scroll across the screen like in Dance Dance Revolution; they just appear in various locations, without any apparent reason for being there.

I really like the menu screen at the beginning of the game, though. :)

JR

EDIT: All right, I'm starting to get it now. The arrows DO appear at random, but it's the red one you need to watch carefully. Push the joystick in the direction of the red arrow as it jumps around the screen.

If you can catch it in time, the arrow to its right is highlighted in red as well. Keep pushing the joystick in the directions shown and you'll earn points.

The arrows come in strings, ending with a blank space. If you can complete a string of arrows, all the arrows highlighted in red disappear from the screen, giving you a little breathing room.

As Seemo already mentioned, when the screen completely fills with arrows, the game ends.

One suggestion I would make is that the arrows should be more distinctly drawn. They're very difficult to read as they are now. Also, the timing necessary to trigger the arrows is much too unforgiving... I'd suggest using a wider timing window, with players being rewarded for hitting the arrows perfectly. That's how things are done in Dance Dance Revolution, anyway.

Edited by Jess Ragan

It would be nice if there were some visual indication of the precise time window in which input registers. "You just have to know" isn't very fair.

It would be even nicer if you didn't have to hold the stick/button after your input. I don't really see the point of it, and I'm guessing it would make the game much more tiring over prolonged play than being able to simply tap the controller.

Hi,

here's an update of the game, now it's more player friendly (Thomas please give it a try :) )

Zylon, the time to act is when the symbol becomes red, as Jess pointed out.

I din't say you have to hold your input : you don't have to hold it !

Just tap the joystick when the symbols become red. ;)

Thank You to everyone here !

Simone

P.S. : I included instructions/credits.

mantra.zip

Ah, this version is much easier for me. ;) I could have sworn I was playing right last time, but my highest score was... Dun dun dun - 4! :lol:

My total this time was 150 - still a sucky score, but it's quite an improvement. Cool game! 8)

[edit]

One suggestion: Maybe you could implement a "practice" mode where the sequences start slower and begin at the top of the screen, moving in order until the player has the basic feel for the game. I think the main problem here has been that it starts rather quickly and stays at that pace. To a new player who doesn't quite grasp the concept or know how to play, it's a bit frustrating. In fact, I only get how to play the "classic" mode so far, but I'm intrigued. :D

Edited by mojofltr

Sorry. Call me stupid, but I still get no points (IIRC 4 is my best so far) and I am pretty sure I am doing as you described: Pressing the right direction/button when a symbol gets red, right?

IMO the display is pretty confusing. Maybe you should use neutral/uncolored/darkened symbols for inactive parts. Unless I miss something here and they are important for gameplay... :ponder:

And it seems that the red symbols jump around the screen, probably because I did a mistake. But that's pretty confusing for a stupid beginner like me. Maybe you could add some visual indicator (e.g. screen flashing), that you made a mistake and a short break before the next sequence starts?

BTW: I am playing the game without sound (office!). Is there some audio feedback which would help me?

:? :? :?

Seemo: Thanks for the practice level... it really does help. ;)

TJ:

It takes me time to get into the rhythm of it every time I play. The first time I started making points, I felt like I was getting ahead of myself. I literally thought I was pushing the direction for the next tile too soon, but I was making points. That's kind of how I have to play this one... on my toes.

Playing in classic 1-player mode and in practice: When you get one tile in a sequence, the next tile to the right (unless there is no tile there) will light up - when you are doing it right, all the the tiles that you have completed correctly in that sequence stay red until you screw up. I hope that helps? If I listen for the bassiest note in the music and try to keep my button presses in time with it, I seem to do better. I still suck, mind you, but I'm doing much better than before. :)

[edit]

Seemo: Sorry, another request/suggestion. At the title screen, it might be nice if you could use the fire button to change each option instead of having to reach up to use the select switch. Then maybe you could add a "start" menu item so that one doesn't have to reach up and hit the reset switch to begin playing. That is one thing that can throw my game off; I'll hit reset and the game begins before I have my hands back on the controller. D'oh! :D It's early, and I'm not sure how much sense I'm making, so I made a small screenshot to illustrate what I'm trying to say.

Edited by mojofltr

Hi Thomas,

after you start the .bin, you should select 'practice' from the menu (it follows 'classic' and 'so far' voices).

If you start a game in this mode, the sequence of symbols will always start from the first cell of the matrix, so you won't have to concentrate on where the 'red' symbol is/will be :) .

You should see what symbol is shown in the first cell : is it a 'up' symbol ? or a 'down' symbol ? and so on...

The symbol will be red for a certain amount of time : during this period, tap the joystick in the direction relative to the symbol.

You have to tap the joystick only once.

If you did it correctly, you will notice that after a short period of time the symbol will remain red, and the next symbol, I mean the one to the right of the first, will become red : this is the time to tap the joystick in the direction relative to the second symbol.

If you did it correctly, the first and second symbol will remain red, and the third symbol will become red, and you will have to move the joystick according to this third symbol.

And so on... until the sequence is interrupted by an empty cell.

You will not get any points until you complete a sequence !

(In practice mode there is no score, you must only concentrate on completing the sequences.)

If you fail to move the joystick you will have to start the sequence again.

Colors

When a symbol 'is born' it is coloured with cyan : it's an unblocked cell, and if you complete the sequence it belongs to, it will be removed from the matrix.

When you fail to complete a sequence, all its symbols turn to blocked state (=brown) and they will not be removed when the sequence is completed, but will turn to unblocked (=cyan).

Do you see the shaded row that hits only certain symbols at rhythm ? It hits only the symbols of the current sequence.

Pause

Actually the game allows you a (very) short pause between sequences.

Audio Feedback

When a sequence is completed, you get an audio interval which is different from what you get when you fail to complete it.

And yes, music is absolutely a fundamental part of the game... :cool:

Thank You for trying Mantra, and don't give up ! :twisted:

Simone

I finally fired Mantra up on my Krokocart - It works! It's actually easier for me to play it on the real hardware (with my Genny stick). My high score almost doubled! ( Still doesn't come close to vdub_bobby's 1060!!!@! :o )

The screen jumped once or twice during gameplay. I couldn't tell what triggered it exactly, but I'll try to pay more attention to what's happening during gameplay when it happens again. This is a very fun game once you get the feel for how to play. 8) :thumbsup: