IGNORED

FB3...

Any reason why some people are advocating the use of the 800 and not the 800XL? Also, good A8 games aren't necessarily pre-1985 titles or from the US... 

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

914735[/snapback]

ahhh, you are correct, but the games that will get released are the classic ones that were released in the US, because those are the ones that will sell systems, not obscure titles that the masses aren't familiar with. That is why every FB will have some version of Asteroids on it :)

Well, if there's a selection of 40 games, it would be a good thing to include 7 or 8 programs from Europe. I love most of the classic software from the US but it would be a major mistake to dismiss the rest... Attitudes like this are also responsible for the demise of the A8 in the US.

--

Atari Frog

Any reason why some people are advocating the use of the 800 and not the 800XL? Also, good A8 games aren't necessarily pre-1985 titles or from the US... 

--

Atari Frog

914735[/snapback]

I used the term "Atari 400/800" as a generic term for the entire line of Atari 8-Bit computers. The XL/XE line would be the best of the group to use, obviously, mostly because you'd need a full 64K of RAM for some of the larger XEGS cartridge-based games. My only concern would be whether some of the earlier 800 games would work on an XL/XE clone without the need of a translator, but I'm sure that a workaround can be found.

As for non-US titles, if they're NTSC compatible and if they use English for all on-screen text, I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be included. They might not be enough to sell the system by themselves, but they could certainly help to flesh out the collection of pack-in games (especially if they can provide nice-looking screenshots for the back of the box).

Edited by jaybird3rd

Well, if there's a selection of 40 games, it would be a good thing to include 7 or 8 programs from Europe. I love most of the classic software from the US but it would be a major mistake to dismiss the rest... Attitudes like this are also responsible for the demise of the A8 in the US.

100% True.

Possibly some british games could easily be integrated (Elektra Glide, some Zeppelin games, etc.) and, if possible, a polish game or two could be translated as well.

Let's face it, the XL/XE line probably sold more units overseas than in the United States (post 1982) and it would be only fair to include some of these titles.

Also, Elektra Glide and some of these other british titles were imported by Mastertronics (and other companies) in the US. Before World Karate Championship reached these shores, it existed as International Karate by System 3 in Europe.

Anybody wants to program a homebrew ?

AB.

Well, my guess would be something Atari or something infogames has or can get the rights too. Since they are willing to mfg real joysticks on the flashback two tells me to expect something even better. Remeber flashback 1 was just a good test run. With bugs and flaws but still good enough seller to spin a 100% compatible systems known as flashback 2. To me the 5200 is the next in line but like the jaguar. I don't think many will reconize it. We also have to think of games. I woud love to see more 7800 titles or a true 7800 system. So we think console, joysticks, and carts. That can be just about anything. Even another nintendo. A muticart system would be cool. Could kill sega for not showing up with one instead of the dreamcast. Still plenty of genesis carts floating around. I just picked up another 27 carts with cases and some manuals. Still in great condition. Before I head off, I would like to point out only collectors and a few others interested in the original 2600 has carts. The rest of the world won't or care to have anything to do with anything. Except for the few who plays a flashback then goes looking for the original system. Thus, another all in one makes sense. Oh, wait I was suspose to be talking about a fb3 system. I'll go for the XL system with usb keyboard/mouse/cart port. Since look at the c64 joysticks and hacks. Then again c64 was big, really big at one time.

Later,

ussexplorer

Any reason why some people are advocating the use of the 800 and not the 800XL?

I'd guess because the case design of the 800XL is boring.

914768[/snapback]

Ahhh now, steady on ZylonBane!

The XL line is a lovely piece of engineering, and back in the early 80's, was fairly futuristic looking. The sleek chrome buttons, cream and black casing made the Vic-64, I mean C64, look positively outdated in comparison.

Karl

Edited by AEX

I was rambling on the technical aspect of things: not all games will run on the 800 while the 800XL can handle mostly everything. Anyway, you get the point...

Anybody wants to program a homebrew ?

My idea is that the FB3 - provided it's really an A8 - would be a nice incentive to create something that really stands out in the library...

Just speculating but there may well be some Polish programmers who could come up with something great if they are given the chance. Not that I don't like classic arcade stuff but I'd rather see a polished A8 game "made in 2005" than a port with 1981-like graphics. No offense to anyone but what the A8 needs and deserves is software that looks like C64 stuff, not top-of-the-line 2600...

--

Atari Frog

I think it's pretty obvious that the third installation of the Flashback series systems will be an Atari 8-Bit based system with lineage dipping into the 400/800/XL/XE and 5200.

Making my case....

We know what Atari still has rights to, and we know how Curt thinks. That's all you need to know to understand that we're prepping for an 8-Bit system.

There Flashback deal that was cut with Atari was for 3 systems to be developed, so long as the first one could be rushed to market for Christmas 2004, hence the lousy FB1. First a hybrid 2600/7800 that would be rushed to market, second a genuine 2600, and the third was to feature interchangable media. I've always suspected it would be a 400/800/XL/XE/5200 type thing. That format has some pretty nice graphics as compared to the 2600, and there's wayyyy too much software written for that general format that Atari is still sitting on NOT to take advantage of. To many people, the 8-Bit line was the "real" Atari. Just try to put yourself in Curt's shoes and think of what he would do.

Consider this if you will...

- The 8-Bit line encompasses many Atari systems. The 400, the 800, the 5200, the ENTIRE XL line, the ENTIRE XE line, including the XEGM.

- Atari still owns the rights to many 8-Bit games. Think Centipede, Star Raiders II, Crystal Castles, 5200 Tempest, etc. If Atari is venturing into the whole "lets re-release these classic game titles on new machines" why would they pass all of these titles up in favor of ANYTHING else?

- The 8-Bit line can utilize the CX40 joystick, which Atari seems to have perfected. Plus, most any 5200 game could be converted back to standard 8-Bit to use the CX40 so that covers the 5200 base.

- Plenty of new 5200 and 8-Bit homebrews have been created in recent months... I'm sure one or two of them could make graet candidates for FB3. Haunted House 3D, Koffi Yellow Copter, Beef Drop, and Castle Crisis which could legally be converted to Warlords.

The Lynx would be nixed because its portable, has a very small library of games, many of which Atari does not have license to any longer, and I know of other things privately which would immediately lead me to believe that FB3 is NOT a Lynx. The Jag is a gorgeous system that could still be modern if money was sunk into it, but it hardly has any real Atari titles and I just cant see infrogrammes doing anything with it at this juncture.

All that leaves is the 8-Bit and the ST.

Do you think its possible they would do anything with the ST line? It's possible, but I doubt it. At least for now. Maybe one day there will be an FB4 featuring all sorts of ST games, but I highly doubt it.

Okay, so... the only real question left to ask at this point is will there be an adapter or easy hack to go between FB3 cartridges and 8-bit cartridges? Or whatever format it may be? What is the target date for release? What does Atari ask if you wish to submit a homebrew title?

I'll bet anyone here $100 dollars that we're going to see an 8-bit based machine.

Werd.

Justin

Edited by Ferris

The XL line is a lovely piece of engineering, and back in the early 80's, was fairly futuristic looking.  The sleek chrome buttons, cream and black casing made the Vic-64, I mean C64, look positively outdated in comparison.

Yes, it's a nice enough design, but the beauty is all in the details. Step back a bit though, and all you really have is a rectangular box. The 800, on the other hand, is a distinctly shaped finely-sculpted piece of work. Atari really had some ace industrial designers on staff back then.

I think it's pretty obvious that the third installation of the Flashback series systems will be an Atari 8-Bit based system with lineage dipping into the 400/800/XL/XE and 5200.

Making my case....

We know what Atari still has rights to, and we know how Curt thinks.  That's all you need to know to understand that we're prepping for an 8-Bit system.

914881[/snapback]

If you know Curt, all you needed was item #1. Case dismissed!! Yippee!!

It would be great if Atari could strike a deal with Bill Houge and include Bounty Bob and Miner on this although I still want Bill to come out with a seperate cart for the 5200.

Allan

- Atari still owns the rights to many 8-Bit games.  Think Centipede, Star Raiders II, Crystal Castles, 5200 Tempest, etc.  If Atari is venturing into the whole "lets re-release these classic game titles on new machines" why would they pass all of these titles up in favor of ANYTHING else?

914881[/snapback]

But they need to at least get EA to license out M.U.L.E. because of what it did for the Atari 800, much like what Activision did for the Atari 2600 with titles like River Raid and Pitfall!

Signed,

Rick Vendl II

Edited by TrekkiELO

I'm tellin ya.... this HAS to be based off of the Atari 8-Bit line. I think it's safe to go ahead and assume that now. I don't know anymore than anyone else does about this, it's just a hunch.

If Curt can get more than games into this thing.... as in make a BASIC cartridge or a cartridge that goes above and beyond the typical Centipede pack-in. Maybe have AtariWriter or something "programmable". Sure would be nifty if this had a USB port on the back of it and you could print directly to a modern printer. Sure there wouldn't be much of a font selection but it would still be nifty. Doubt we'll see anything quite that cool, but I know Curt is a big fan of nifty things like that and I'm banking that he will find a way to work something cool into this if it really is an A8 machine.

Judging from the game selection of the Flashback 2, do any of you really think they're done with the 2600 just yet? I wonder if they could be doing two projects (8bit, and another 2600 one with a way to use SD cards or something similar, and maybe paddle controllers).

If Flashback 2 was it for the 2600, I would've thought that we would've at least seen all the 2600 games we got for Atari Anthology on it.

Edited by Atariboy

I've thought about that. The original impression I had of FB3 from a year ago was that it was simply an FB2 with a card slot. However I think this has changed.

I get the feeling from the lack of games on the FB2 that maybe Atari is not done with the 2600 library.

However, that does not mean I believe the FB3 will be an "improved dedicated 2600 FB2" at all. It could be a hybrid system, booting both 2600 and A8 titles through two different chips. Then again who knows.

I'm banking money that FB3 will be A8 compatible, but I wouldnt be suprised if it had 2600 capabilities on board as well. Remember this is Curt we're talking about, not some random Infogrammes thinktank with no creativity or knowledge of Atari history.

Cheers,

Justin

I think fb3 could be something as simple as the same hardware as fb2 with 40 completely different games, including maybe a bunch more homebrews. They still have plenty of games in the back catalog or ones they can license. It really seems like there is room to grow with the fb2 hardware still. Maybe they will also add a proprietary cart connector so they can make new (cheaper and smaller) 2600 carts.

I have to admit if it is Atari 800 hardware, I am feeling kinda like "so what". From 82 to the release of the Amiga I was heavy in the A800 scene and I can tell you it was not about the "Atari" games at all. It was about the 100s and 100s of third-party games like Alternate Reality, Ali Baba, BallBlazer, Conan, BC's Quest for Tires, Shamus, Picnic Paranoia, Ultima III and others. I can tell you because I had a copy of them all.

And realistically, many of these games required a keyboard and would be too complex to put on a simple toy.

No, rather I expect if that is the direction they go, it will be A5200 hardware with A5200 cart games and maybe a few of the best ported A800 games thrown in.

Shall we call it the "petite sexy" or maybe just Anna - short for the Anorexic Atari?

Edited by retrocon

Different platform...

Ah, crap :(

I was hoping for a 2600 with a mountain of games and a cart slot. 40 is pretty good, but the games are itty-bitty. No reason not to have a mountain of them :P

Still............

The FB2 is pretty awesome (STILL AIN'T GOT ONE YET :x ) so whatever Curt is cooking, it'll be good :)

Heh...I always wanted an Atari 400 :grin:

I still want an Atari 2600 in there at the same time. I'm all guesses. Curt is the master of promotion and cat and mouse here ;)

If FB3 can be modified into a full XL with SIO etc..  I'll probably buy half a dozen at least.

914902[/snapback]

So would I ... in a heartbeat. Curt, if it is an A8 clone, I want to put in a request for an SIO PIN HEADER on the inside of the unit if it isn't too late to include one. That would make it easy to wire up an external SIO connector, or even an internal APE/SIO2PC cable with a serial port on the back of the unit that could plug directly into a PC.

Another important feature would be a cartridge adapter (even if it's sold seperately or by a third party) so we can plug in original A8 cartridges that aren't likely to be re-released.

I have to admit if it is Atari 800 hardware, I am feeling kinda like "so what". From 82 to the release of the Amiga I was heavy in the A800 scene and I can tell you it was not about the "Atari" games at all. It was about the 100s and 100s of third-party games like Alternate Reality, Ali Baba, BallBlazer, Conan, BC's Quest for Tires, Shamus, Picnic Paranoia, Ultima III and others. I can tell you because I had a copy of them all.

And realistically, many of these games required a keyboard and would be too complex to put on a simple toy.

No, rather I expect if that is the direction they go, it will be A5200 hardware with A5200 cart games and maybe a few of the best ported A800 games thrown in.

Don't forget, though, that the A8 also had a lot of GREAT arcade ports that would be instantly recognizable. I think a good collection of them would be enough to sell the system, especially since many of them are small enough to bundle together into a nice bankswitched pack-in multicart. If the other third-party games you mention were sold seperately, Atari would have more of an opportunity to re-introduce them to the general public. There are enough outstanding A8 titles in "the vault" (including some offbeat favorites of mine like Activision's "Designer's Pencil") that they could probably continue to release cartridges for years. As I said earlier, the XEGS cartridge games from the late 80s are an instant source of new titles, ripe and ready for picking; just dump the ROMs and burn them into new FB3 cartridges.

As for the 5200, why not go the other way around ... take the handful of outstanding 5200 games that weren't on the A8 first and modify them for the A8 architecture/controllers? The 5200 isn't nearly as recognizable a platform: it was only on the market for two years or so, while the A8 series was sold and supported for over ten years.

Man... maybe I was initially on to something with the FB2 months ago, only to be thinking about the FB3. I was mentioning a mini-cart slot for games (like the flash cards but in little cartridges).

As I don't have a Flashback 2 yet (Canada gets stuff much later.. ugh!) I was wondering if someone could measure the size of fake screened on label of the cart port on the FB2 (the one that was on the mockup box before it was removed) and let me know if it was the actual size of an old cartridge slot or smaller? Seeing as the unit is tiny maybe the cart port was smaller... possible hinting at the future size of Atari carts?

I'm believing the FB3 will be another 2600+ system with 5 games on each cart and they will be selling like pokemon cards from a few years back! (I'll be catching them all! :) )