IGNORED

Which 2600 Games DON'T work on a 7800?

JohnnyBlaze

As the people in the auction thread know, I'm getting a 7800. But, what I don't know is if it has an expansion port or not. So, just to be prepared for the worst(not really, I'm still getting an Atari 2600 jr. in a trade for an NES), what games either have trouble or not work at all on 7800 systems? Also, a friend told me that later 7800 models won't work with certain 7800 games. Is this true as well?

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

All the games I have work on my 7800 except Fathom, which needs repair anyway.

Fathom shares the same issue with all other Imagic carts in that it fits very tightly into the 7800 cartridge slot. Most third party titles do on the later 7800's.

I'm told that the very first 7800's will run everything but 2600 Dark Chambers. you may run into problems with multicarts, but there's always the Cuttle Cart 2 or a PC based emulator.

I think the third run 7800's run everything that the first run ones do, with the exception of Imagic titles (unless you really cram them in there or mod the unit).

Second run 7800's do not run Robot Tank or the SuperCharger. Some may not run Pitfall 2. Ironically, this is the most compatible system after it's modded--it'll run any game cart after that.

The way you tell is by looking for a blemish on the left side of the system on the side of the lower plastic housing. If it's got a port, it's probably first run. If there's a blemish, it's second run. If it's got nothing, it's probably what I like to call a "Tramiel 7800", and that is a third run system like mine.

The only definite way to tell, though, is to open the system and look for either the timing circuit or lack thereof.

To find out more, do a search on the forum for 7800 compatibility, Dark Chambers, or Robot Tank.

CPUWIZ got that up there while I was typing, and it's very informative. Listen to him.

Edited by shadow460

But, I heard also that Pitfall II does not work. Thanks for the FAQ direct link. I only did a quick glance. I also wanted to get other people's responses on their experiences if they had anymore incompatibilities that weren't on this list.

Atari 7800 Tiwan - "(#)" = blue stamped number, no external visible place or expansion, Atari corporation = 72R4BR A3 (85) 5066694

(see botom of post execpt)

X- Space Shuttle rolls slowly and older tvwith v-hold might work

X- Robot Tank rolls very quickly

X- dblender Ghost Manor I couldn't get to come up in 5 trys then I gave up, probally works

(I think this is the one that hates my 7800 choplifter cart too... after about 15 minutes goes out of high res mode and into low res mode...game is unplayable like that... I have it posted somewhere else what S.N. I was having trouble with choplifter at (the cart is at my fiance's but all other 7800 carts and even repo prototypes ect worked in all of them.) http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=71877 <-missing carts))

Atari 7800 Tiwan - "(#)" = blue stamped number, no external visible place or expansion, Atari corporation =72R4BR A3 (87) 5118022

(all work perfectly)

Atari 7800 Tiwan - "(#)" = blue stamped number, no external visible place or expansion, Atari corporation = 72R4BR A3 (85) 5043105

(all work perfectly)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tigervision games are the only ones that don't work on ANY of my 7800, and the chips DO work its just that the carts don't fit...actually the post don't fit.

I've tested about 200 carts in each system now... all the ones listed as trouble and then as I play carts if something dosen't work I list it and if it dosen't work on 3 7800 and 2 2600s I really clean the little creap... :roll:

I switch around the 7800 I'm using when ever I get superstisious about the wheater or whatever. :cool:

I have not nor will I ever test the supercharger on the 7800... unless you want to pay to ship me a highy compatable 7800 and a supercharger Iwon't do that for you either. ;)

(*) = all the carts I have

If I have > 15 carts (*) = choose to test

I always tested any cart that has ever been a trouble maker for other peoples 7800s

*all Activion works, even Pitfall II

*all Imagic works, very very tight in slot

Dark Chambers 2600 works

Kool aid man works

*all 7800 carts work

*all the shooter games

*all CBS

*all Spectravision

*all Sears

*all vidtec

*all coloeco

*all atari 2600 titles, red or numberd or art or anything

*all Epryx

*all Froggo

*all Absolute entertainment

*all Parker Brothers

*all M-network/and associates

*all data east

*any other 3rd party I tried

*all CCW titles

*my one AA cart Holiday cart

My one dblender (GM/SP)

My CC2 works on all of them of course!

and I'm sick of testing carts now. :P

You seen all I had to do--insert the Supercharger!

Supercharger's kind of a pain, though. Back in the day it wasn't so bad, 'cause I was not too lazy to dig out the shoebox recorder and hook it all up. I could just leave it hooked up while I was playing carts, then plug it in when I wanted to play a Starpath game.

Now, though, it hooks to my headphone out on the PC, and I load games via Winblows Media Player.

With larger carts available, it would be nice to have each of their 13 games on a dedicated cart. Even Escape should fit on a 7800 cart, maybe with POKEY generate music to boot.

Basically - the chances that you're going to get a 2600 game that doesn't work in your 7800 because of a manufacturing defect are slim to none. in 99.99999999% of the cases, it's NOT a problem with compatibility as it is with the person's 2600 cart condition, misuse/abuse, or both.

I've had several versions of teh 7800, my current one is a "later" model with no expansion port. It has NO problems playing any of the "reported" games, in cluding the SC games, Robot Tank, Space Shuttle, Pitfall 2, and Dark Chambers & Food Fight.

Don't believe the hype. If there's a game you want, get it.

• Like 1

yeah well it works on all of mine...

I've owned a total of 5 7800, I think its work on all of them...

I'd have to get a hold of Kelbaca to see if the one with the dead MARIA chip runs all 2600 games.

The other 7800 (not accounted for in my post) got destroyed in a fire but IT ran Robot Tank and Dark Chambers.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tigervision games are the only ones that don't work on ANY of my 7800, and the chips DO work its just that the carts don't fit...actually the post don't fit.

there's another thread about tigervision carts in this forum also

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...&hl=tigervision

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...&hl=tigervision

Edited by FireTiger

you can cut the pegs shorter, never heard of anyone cutting the holes bigger in the 7800...

not sure its possible, the pegs sticking out that swing the dust cover on some 2600's are too long andd prevent the tigervision carts form reaching the connectors in a 7800. with these pegs shorter or reversed they are no longer too long.

the 7800 cart slot and connector are going to be the same distance apart, the bottom of the cart connector and cart slot touch the motherboard.

below is the peice inside the tigervision carts causing trouble.

post-4852-1125243872_thumb.jpg

Can't you just cut the holesout a little further in the 7800 for Tigervision carts?  I might try that when I get my first ones.

920020[/snapback]

You can't cut the holes any deeper because it's actually hitting the screws holding the cart slot collar on.

Mitch