IGNORED

Which 2600 Games DON'T work on a 7800?

JohnnyBlaze

• 5 years later...

Two stumpers for me on a later generation 7800 are Congo Bongo and Masters of the Universe. Congo Bongo crashes on load, and Masters of the Universe shows the title screen but won't move the ship. These are using my BackBit cart. When I run these with the same exact setup on a 2600 Jr they work fine.

On 10/26/2022 at 5:35 AM, evietron said:

Masters of the Universe shows the title screen but won't move the ship.

Check the console's difficulty switches, the A-B positions are reversed on the 7800 compared to the 2600. 

Per the game's manual:

image.thumb.png.7b642b52cc9610769128f7966bb69668.png

image.png.3ba3d4705bfb02c7648bfd1a1b43cb75.png

On 10/26/2022 at 5:35 AM, evietron said:

Congo Bongo crashes on load...using my BackBit cart. When I run these with the same exact setup on a 2600 Jr they work fine.

This is something likely related to a compatibility issue with the BackBit cart, rather than a compatibility issue with Congo Bongo.  It could possibly be the BackBit cart is presenting the Sega F8 cart data or/and behavior with a slight difference that is consequently impacting the 7800.  An original Congo Bongo cart works fine for me under all my 7800 consoles.

FWIW, Congo Bongo also runs perfectly fine under my 7800 systems with a Harmony or Harmony Encore cartridge for the 2600, and under the Harmony Concerto for the 7800.

Thanks Trebor for your input. The difficulty switch worked on Masters of the Universe. For Congo Bongo, if I wait for 0xfffx access after reset before serving ROM then it works. Funny how it's just that one game, but I suspect it might have something to do with 2600 cart detection code and the bus interfering with that. So that means BackBit now supports all known original titles for 2600/VCS.

Edited by evietron
  • Like 3