IGNORED

New Colecovision title coming out soon...

Time-Bandit

This is a re-post from the Colecovision forum, but since not many people visit that forum, and that this is a homebrew, I decided to re-post it here with a few modifications:

I've been hard at work for the past 10-14 days, disassembling the SG-1000 game

called Gulkave. All I can tell is that it was a big job! It's a 32K highly optimized assembly language game. Fortunately for me, the people who wrote this game knew how to program, so it was more organized than a lot of the other source code I've seen.

In case you don't know what Gulkave is, it's a side-scrolling space shooter. It was released in 1986, so it's fairly recent, and you can tell by the graphics and gameplay, it's absolutely fantastic!

I've been trying to find a bug in the gameplay for the past 2 days, and today I finally found it, and the game is 99% playable. There's still a small bug and it's taking forever to find it! The bug makes you invincible to certain ennemies.

WARNING: It's a very fast paced arcade game... I've finished the first level, but that's it!

I'm wondering if I should design some sort of cheat mode in the cartridge that will be released because honestly, I don't see how anyone could ever finish this game, it's much too fast-paced.

Here are a few screenshots to whet your appetite:

GULKAVE1.png

GULKAVE2.png

GULKAVE3.png

GULKAVE4.png

Edited by Time-Bandit

I'm including a very very early Alpha version of the game that will run on the Colecovision.

It doesn't accept joystick support yet, you can only see the demo.

Like I said, it's a very early build. It took me 20 minutes to convert from the source code (the source code on the other hand, took me about 10 days to generate from the original binary image). There's many many glitches to take care of, but it's just to give you a general idea.

BTW, the game runs at half the speed due to some problems with interrupts. At the end of the demo, when the music starts playing (for some unknown reason), the scenery will start scrolling at the speed that it's supposed to scroll.

Enjoy!

The image can be found here: Gulkave ROM for the Colecovision

[edit] The game runs at full speed now...

Edited by Time-Bandit