IGNORED

Colony 7 - Release Candidate!

Cybergoth

Was a weird evening yesterday. For 3 or 4 hours I tried rewriting the kernel from scratch, according to some new ideas I had. After giving up on that and throwing the new code away, it took only 10 minutes to find a way to add the color writes to the old kernel :ponder: :lol:

936883[/snapback]

Yes, I've been there myself many times (not just 2600 programming). When I removed the self-modifying code from PoP I was left with a kernel almost identical to an early version :)

Chris

• 2 months later...

You're right, you can shoot things. :lol: Any chance having the crosshairs move faster? I feel like I'm moving in slow motion. Are you going to add trackball support too? I'm not sure if it's needed, but it might be a nice feature. This is a really beautiful game so far, and I imagine it's only going to get better. Good work! :thumbsup:

Hi there!

Any chance having the crosshairs move faster? I feel like I'm moving in slow motion.

Hm... I think this'll change. I'll finetune it to match the Arcade as good as possible :)

Are you going to add trackball support too? I'm not sure if it's needed, but it might be a nice feature.

Hm... the trackball is a pretty demanding device, requiring more screentime and RAM I have for this. (Only trackball code I found, a demo from Eckhard Stolberg, requires 48 bytes of RAM ?!? :-o)

On top of that, I neither like trackballs nor do I own one ;)

This is a really beautiful game so far, and I imagine it's only going to get better. Good work!  :thumbsup:

Thanks! :)

Greetings,

Manuel

Hm... the trackball is a pretty demanding device, requiring more screentime and RAM I have for this. (Only trackball code I found, a demo from Eckhard Stolberg, requires 48 bytes of RAM ?!? :-o)

:!: Thomas gave me the source to his Missile Command TB hack a while back, I'm sure he'd share it with you as well ;) - I mean, not to volunteer him or anything :ponder:

Anyway, I didn't look real closely at the code (er, I mean I haven't looked real closely at it yet...) but I don't remember it using anything like 48 bytes of RAM.

On top of that, I neither like trackballs

:o Blasphemer!

Nice looking demo, Manuel! I want a score, though! ;)

The crosshair didn't seem slow-moving to me...and, on reflection, as the arcade used a joystick, probably best not to add trackball support to this either.

This is going to be very nice!

Hi there!

Anyway, I didn't look real closely at the code (er, I mean I haven't looked real closely at it yet...) but I don't remember it using anything like 48 bytes of RAM.

Hm... from what it looks like, if you use less RAM, it'll require more kernel cycles :ponder:

On top of that, I neither like trackballs
:o Blasphemer!

Heh! I don't like paddles either! I don't need no stinking analog devices! I'm a 21st century digital boy :lol:

The crosshair didn't seem slow-moving to me...

The thing with the crosshair is, the speed relation between it and the enemies must match or the gameplay is ruined. If I make the crosshair dead fast, The enemy ships need to be zipping around with lightning speed as well... :twisted:

This is going to be very nice!

Thanks! :)

Greetings,

Manuel

On top of that, I neither like trackballs nor do I own one ;)

986258[/snapback]

You know what? It was really only a thought in my head as the aiming in Colony 7 reminded me of Missile Command. I really like the direction this game is going, and it probably doesn't need the trackball. Cybergoth you will be happy to know I don't have a trackball for my Atari either. I only own one for my Colecovision. :D

Hi there!

will you include all 3 weapons of the arcade-version, or at least the smart-bomb?

The smart-bomb will be there. Triggerable most likely via second Joystick, foot-pedals, Omega Booster Grip, Spy Hunter and Sega/Colecovision controllers.

(Don't think 7800 controllers will work.)

Greetings,

Manuel

Its looking great! One thing I did notice is that if you hold the fire button down. The shot pattern becomes a set of flickering dots in fixed positions relative to the cursor. The effect looks fine for single shots, but if the player can hold the button down for continuous fire it looks kind of odd. Maybe if you added a sawtooth offset to the starting position of shots so that with the button held down there is an underlying animation of the shots moving toward the cursor. Like this:

Shot1: <=*       *       *       *       *       +
Shot2: <=  *       *       *       *       *     +
Shot3: <=    *       *       *       *       *   +
Shot4: <=      *       *       *       *       * +
Shot5: <=*       *       *       *       *       +
Etc...

Cheers!

Hi Robert!

The effect looks fine for single shots, but if the player can hold the button down for continuous fire it looks kind of odd.  Maybe if you added a sawtooth offset to the starting position of shots so that with the button held down there is an underlying animation of the shots moving toward the cursor.

I see what you mean. Hm... I'll have to think about this. (As is, the behaviour is precisely copied from the Arcade)

The suggested offset probably ain't that easy to get, as right now those shot trails are not based on a full-blown line-algorithm. I cheat here with some very simple bit shiftings :)

Greetings,

Manuel

• 4 months later...

wow am really excited about seening colony 7 on the 2600.i have played this on the taito legends collection and have played it years ago in a arcade some where it was and is one of my favorites next to space invaders.good luck with the game and i hope to see it soon at the atariage store.