IGNORED

Colony 7 - Release Candidate!

Cybergoth

It would be nice if maybe the screen flashed white or some other color when using the bomb, to give it a more visual impact.

Noted :)

When you destroy one of the bombs dropped by the ships at the top of the screen, there is no sound or explosion. Would be nice if there was at least sound, and if it could explode in some fashion that would be nice (it is a big bomb).

You're right, it shouldn't be silent!

Is there any reason why the Squad number no longer increases after 9?

Kinda, yes. I detailed it a bit somewhere above, but maybe I can still tweak it somehow.

[*]How about a version that supports a Trak-Ball / ST Mouse? (like what Thomas did with Missile Command TB)

That is next to impossible. There's neither kernel cycles nor RAM available and I think the TB requires a good amount of both.

Colony 7 is a fun game and has that quality where you want to play again to see if you can beat your previous score. Although I suspect the difficulty will get nearly impossible at a certain point! I can also see that my hands will cramp up if I play this for a long time with a CX-40. :) The graphics and audio are all very well done, and I like the music as well as the sharp title screen.

I would not really like to see the screen wraparound as I think that will make the game easier. That's part of the risk of the game--if you get over too far on one side of the screen, your cannon on the other side stands a greater chance of being destroyed. If this was a difficulty switch option, I would not be opposed to it.

If it makes TJ happy, he shall get it. But maybe he will figure to live without it, after some more training ;)

A few quick thoughts:

-The difficulty is a tad too easy, as mentioned. Though I will point out that Nathan is an excellent gamer and has had practice; take his tales of valor with a grain of salt! :lol: I didn't find it excessively easy, as a mere mortal...

-The siren (?) could be more...siren-y. It sounds right now more like a ditty/jingle/tune, albeit one that doesn't resolve. :D Maybe slow it a bit?

-Wrapping the cursor isn't necessary IMO - as you mentioned, that's taking the difficulty in the wrong direction - but would be a nice difficulty switch option.

-Maybe best gameplay change would be to make it harder when you lose a cannon. At the very least, reduce scoring if you lose a cannon, but making the target smaller or somesuch similar would kill two birds with one stone. :) But please don't make it meaningless whether or not you lose one of the cannons!

Gotta run, I'll try to give it some more playtime this week. Great job! Been looking forward to this one for a long time! :thumbsup: ;)

Edited by vdub_bobby

-The difficulty is a tad too easy, as mentioned. Though I will point out that Nathan is an excellent gamer and has had practice; take his tales of valor with a grain of salt! :lol: I didn't find it excessively easy, as a mere mortal...
:roll: I'm an average gamer, at best. But the point to consider is that once people buy this game, they will play the daylights out of it, and sooner or later get to the point where they were wishing for more of a challenge, or at least the ability to count past 9. ;)

-Wrapping the cursor isn't necessary IMO - as you mentioned, that's taking the difficulty in the wrong direction - but would be a nice difficulty switch option.
Agreed.

When you destroy one of the bombs dropped by the ships at the top of the screen, there is no sound or explosion. Would be nice if there was at least sound, and if it could explode in some fashion that would be nice (it is a big bomb).

You're right, it shouldn't be silent!

How about a close(ish) approximation of the 'sonic charge' sound from Attack of the Clones (minus the 1 second delay). Just thought I'd bring it up since we always talk about Star Wars ;)

Attack of the Clones isn't Star Wars, anymore than Infogrames is Atari. :P

Actually it is more Star Wars than any other part, since it's the only one that finally focuses on what Star Wars is all about: The Bounty Hunters!

Still hoping for a Spin-Off focusing on the Mandalorian Warriors, but knowing Lucas we rather get another Ewoks flic :roll:

Attack of the Clones isn't Star Wars, anymore than Infogrames is Atari. :P

But that is a cool sound effect, if you can mimic it on the 2600. ;)

It is a damn cool sound effect, so I would not get my hopes up of hearing it on the 2600. But if Manuel's able to pull it off, hey, I'm not going to object!!!! :D

..Al

Well, that's a poor reproduction of the sound, but that is it. I can't seem to find a decent version of it on the net after a few minutes of searching.

Maybe that's better.

I suppose the best the 2600 can do is using sound $a and decreasing volume over time. And then mix it with some noise ($8).

w_clon09.wav

Actually it is more Star Wars than any other part, since it's the only one that finally focuses on what Star Wars is all about: The Bounty Hunters!

Still hoping for a Spin-Off focusing on the Mandalorian Warriors, but knowing Lucas we rather get another Ewoks flic :roll:

I'm hoping for a situation comedy about that wacky Fett family - the most incompetent bounty hunters in the galaxy! Every week, Jango gets a different body part chopped off by a Jedi Knight, while a young Boba keeps falling down Sarlaac pits. Watch the hilarity ensue as they just can't seem to get that crazy jet-pack to work! There will be laughs-a-plenty as neither one can seem to shoot anybody standing just three feet away from them! :roll:

I'm hoping for a situation comedy about that wacky Fett family - the most incompetent bounty hunters in the galaxy!

Blasphemer!

I agree that Jango looks a bit incompetent in the movies, but Boba is the best Bounty Hunter ever, even beating IG-88. And unlike the other guys did he survive the Sarlaac pit! :P

I agree that Jango looks a bit incompetent in the movies, but Boba is the best Bounty Hunter ever, even beating IG-88. And unlike the other guys did he survive the Sarlaac pit! :P
I'm surprised you haven't made a Star Wars Bounty Hunter 2600 game yet. ;)

I have this odd feeling that the sprite artist in the team would be trying to sabotage such a project :ponder:

I'm surprised you haven't made a Star Wars Bounty Hunter 2600 game yet. ;)

I have this odd feeling that the sprite artist in the team would be trying to sabotage such a project :ponder:

What... me?? Perish the thought!

See - I can make a perfectly good Boba Fett sprite.

Here's the front:

boba_front.gif

And here's the back:

boba_back.gif

Although, there seems to be an errant pixel in there for some reason. Right below his jet-pack.

Let me just zoom in on that...

boba-kick-me.gif

;)

Doing some ToDos, here's a new version.

Changes:

- Added a Game Over Jingle

- Rounded the squadron 's' ;)

- Added "Press Fire" to the title screen

The last one was originally supposed to be displayed on an extra sequence screen, alternating with the title screen, but it didn't work out as I planned. Still looking nice ;)

So, enough eye candy for the moment, trying to make this one more difficult next.

firecolony.zip