IGNORED

Colony 7 - Release Candidate!

Cybergoth

Maybe it could say "SQD 10" instead of SQUA10" ?
Are you using the letters for anything else? Why not "SQUAD" using 5+1-pixel letters (in four sprites)?

While the data for the "SQUAD" tag itself isn't shared with any other messages on the intermission screens, the font itself is. I have the same "S" in "TRIES", the same "U" in "BONUS" and the same "A" in "GAME OVER". When I'd just shrink the "SQUAD" it'd look very odd I think. And shrinking the entire font is unnecessarily shrinking all messages, even the ones that fit. I think "SQD" would probably work best.

I've been playing the first release candidate for about an hour on the real hardware. It's a very fun and addictive game. The fighters seem more aggressive than the last version I played. The action gets very intense as you progress through level six and above. The "strafing effect" of the fighters is much like the arcade version and is very cool. The SFX for the Scout spawning really helps me to attack it quickly before he calls up more fighters. The colors of the score remind you of your "tries remaining" at a glance and is a cool feature. Game seems perfect to me and I will be ordering one as soon as it's available. :thumbsup:

Great release candidate :thumbsup:

Can't wait to play this game on the real thing, should grant a higher score than using the arrow keys :D

Wanted to playtest this long enough to see what happens after squad 9, but glad to hear that the level number display has already been upgraded :thumbsup:

(and yes, SQD is definetely preferable to SQUA :) )

Cool what you all managed to fit into the limited space - no reasonable wishes left open! ;)

What's most important, the game now really is fun to play, being both challenging and long-term motivating (with the improved SQD# feature).

Only a small issue here maybe: any chance to still address the "all cities gone = automatic doom" problem?

What about just renewing the colony shields after a set number of levels (every 5? or 8? something along these lines). Should hopefully be simple to implement, and give players a fairer chance to survive longer...

Hmm, and I guess the enemy reset switch option had to be sacrified on the altar of ROM? ;)

Really like the extra sound bits for the scout and bomb intercept, btw, they nicely enrichen the atmosphere and game experience... :)

Cool what you all managed to fit into the limited space - no reasonable wishes left open! ;)

Now when the dust has settled a bit, I might even find the time to answer the novel P.M. you sent last week! ;)

As for descissions regarding features, in the end I just generally priorized everything making the game harder over everything else.

Second release candidate package. Changes:

- Displays SQD instead of SQUA in higher levels! ;)

- Played some manual ping-pong with Dave. He polished and improved all text I had written for the print version of the manual and I was merging most of his improvements (where appropriate) back into the txt version.

I've been playing C7 for over two hours on my CC today and it is looking very promising so far - no more bugs spotted! :)

releasecolony2.zip

The new Squad font looks great! :)

Hmm, shouldn't the other text be adjusted in size as well, for consistency?

Manuel, the current version always starts at Squad 9 with a score of 080808 (check Nathan's screenshot) :?:

For playtesting reasons, I guess? ;)

Well, C7 certainly does not suffer from being too easy now. :P

Seems impossible to me to get beyond the 10er squads, even when playing with a joystick.

Would still wish for some difficulty finetuning... :twisted:

Edited by r_type2600

The new Squad font looks great! :)

Hmm, shouldn't the other text be adjusted in size as well, for consistency?

I gave the 'S' one pixel back, so it matches the one from "TRIES" again. Looks consistent now :lol:

Manuel, the current version always starts at Squad 9 with a score of 080808 (check Nathan's screenshot) :?:

For playtesting reasons, I guess? ;)

Yup, that's faster than playing 9 levels first, just to see the intermission screen. Shouldn't have made it into the release candidate though :ponder:

Seems impossible to me to get beyond the 10er squads, even when playing with a joystick.

Would still wish for some difficulty finetuning... :twisted:

But you just confirmed that it's perfect now. The difficulty maxes with level 9, so it is supposed to kick your butt from there onwards :P

Given the many hours of practise I have, I still made it to Squad 15 yesterday. Score was something close to 350K :)

releasecolony3.zip

The difficulty maxes with level 9, so it is supposed to kick your butt from there onwards :P

Given the many hours of practise I have, I still made it to Squad 15 yesterday. Score was something close to 350K :)

Ok, got your point ;)

Was just thinking that since the squad counter now does go up to 99, it would be nice to have something like a hypothetical chance to at least get halfway there :lol:

Will just shift the focus from squad numbers to high score then, great fun either way :thumbsup: :)

Just played a few rounds of the latest version. Played great and didn't see any problems at all! The new, tighter "SQUAD" looks good and helps add polish to an outstanding game. The difficulty ramps up pretty well. When you start a new game after playing Squad 9 and above, you see just how much easier the earlier rounds are. :) In my last game I got up to Squad 17 and scored 331,925.

colony7.jpg

..Al

Wow! This is the first time i have played this game. I used the latest release. I played it for a good solid 2 hours. it is a well polished and challenging game, highly addictive, and the difficulty curve is perfect, and no bugs/glitches. after many tries my score is only 70,000, but i am definetly going to play it more. THis is one game i cant put down.

Thank you Cybergoth!

Edited by rheffera

• 3 weeks later...