IGNORED

CX85 basic handler

Goochman

I have a slight problem - I typed it in and saved it to a real disk. When I found the disk and tried to copy to an ATR via the Trial version of APE I got an error the Ultraspeed Writes are not supported. There was nothing I could change to get this to write the bas file to .atr

For some reason Atari810 wasnt behaving so I am a bit stuck.

If someone can give me a suggested work around Ill post the .atr

Thanks! I picked up a new-old-stock CX85 a while back when adding finishing touches to my 800 "system." I don't have any programs for it, but with this handler I can use it now, maybe even write or hack some PD basic programs to use it too. This is a listable basic program, right?

Yes it is listable - there are a few programs that work natively with the CX85 - mainly acocunting packages.

My son has a keypad to enter a code for buying lunches at school - the layout was close to the CX85 so I wrote a quick basic program which gave him some nice sounds and a message if input right and a buzzz sound if wrong.

I forgot how fun it was to program the 8bit - So easy to do some neat stuff!

• 2 years later...
I scanned the manual a while back may be of some use.

And an atr of the source code and object file that came with it here

SOT, but I have an interesting(?) "war story" involving the CX-85. In 1984 our manufacturing plant had only one "PC" and it belonged to the Accounting Dept. I worked in Quality Control & Product Engineering, and one of the QC functions was to "lay out" our engine block castings to verify the dimensions. It was totally manual, including writing the dimensions onto log sheets. The Layout Supervisor asked me if it would be possible to "computerize" the data so that it could be analyzed statistically. So I talked our Controller into letting me buy an Atari system for the QC guys. We got an 800XL, Indus Drive, C-Itoh printer/interface, mono monitor, and a CX-X5 for data entry.

With the Atari, each time a measurement was taken, the technicians would use the CX-85 to enter the data into a log file using a custom data-entry program that I wrote. At the end of the layout, it would provide a printed report, flagging any dimensional issues. I also wrote several statistical programs to provide histograms, weekly & monthly summaries, reports, etc. All in Atari Basic with few ML routines here and there at slow points. Everyone loved it, including my boss, the QC Manager. And of course, I loved working on that project!

After a few more years, we bought new, automated equipment that had far more capabilities, but for quite some time, our little Atari 8-bit had its "moment in the sun."

-Larry

I scanned the manual a while back may be of some use.

And an atr of the source code and object file that came with it here

SOT, but I have an interesting(?) "war story" involving the CX-85. In 1984 our manufacturing plant had only one "PC" and it belonged to the Accounting Dept. I worked in Quality Control & Product Engineering, and one of the QC functions was to "lay out" our engine block castings to verify the dimensions. It was totally manual, including writing the dimensions onto log sheets. The Layout Supervisor asked me if it would be possible to "computerize" the data so that it could be analyzed statistically. So I talked our Controller into letting me buy an Atari system for the QC guys. We got an 800XL, Indus Drive, C-Itoh printer/interface, mono monitor, and a CX-X5 for data entry.

With the Atari, each time a measurement was taken, the technicians would use the CX-85 to enter the data into a log file using a custom data-entry program that I wrote. At the end of the layout, it would provide a printed report, flagging any dimensional issues. I also wrote several statistical programs to provide histograms, weekly & monthly summaries, reports, etc. All in Atari Basic with few ML routines here and there at slow points. Everyone loved it, including my boss, the QC Manager. And of course, I loved working on that project!

After a few more years, we bought new, automated equipment that had far more capabilities, but for quite some time, our little Atari 8-bit had its "moment in the sun."

-Larry

Great story! You made Atarians proud! :cool:

And I applaude your choice of disk drive!

Edited by dinosaur