IGNORED

My second homebrew in progress: Bobby needs food

belial

Hi,

a first screenshot of my second homebrew is available. Its called: Bobby needs food. ;) Its a moorhuhn clone. Moorhuhn was very famous in germany (and im sure in other countries too under a different name). Chickens and other objects are flying around. Ur curser is an "aiming cross" to shoot em all for getting a high score.

Im planning different types of chickens, some needs to be shot twice since they dead and u get points. They are flying at different speeds. They time is represented by a sinking sun. When its dark, round is over.

U will find a beta release and perhaps more screenshots soon on my blog http://www.techno-core.net

Enough said, here is the screenshot.

post-7368-1125415179_thumb.jpg

Hi,

a first screenshot of my second homebrew is available. Its called: Bobby needs food. ;) Its a moorhuhn clone. Moorhuhn was very famous in germany (and im sure in other countries too under a different name). Chickens and other objects are flying around. Ur curser is an "aiming cross" to shoot em all for getting a high score.

Im planning different types of chickens, some needs to be shot twice since they dead and u get points. They are flying at different speeds. They time is represented by a sinking sun. When its dark, round is over.

U will find a beta release and perhaps more screenshots soon  on my blog http://www.techno-core.net

Enough said, here is the screenshot.

921521[/snapback]

OK, now I can see what your postings on the Stella list were about :) A couple of comments:

1. This sounds like it would be an ideal candidate for a light gun controller. As far as I know, there were only two light gun games on the 2600. I haven't any idea how you would read the input from the light gun though, but I'm sure someone on the Stella list would know.
  2. The HMOVE bars are slightly annoying now that I see them. It might be an idea to clear half of PF0 to hide them, or do an HMOVE on every line.

I am interested to see how this turns out ...

Chris

Edited by cd-w

Hi,

921521[/snapback]

[*]This sounds like it would be an ideal candidate for a light gun controller. As far as I know, there were only two light gun games on the 2600. I haven't any idea how you would read the input from the light gun though, but I'm sure someone on the Stella list would know.

Chris

921537[/snapback]

Looks great!

but i think trackball-control would be nicer...

1) would be more Moorhuhn-like

2) the Atari Lightguns suck

1. To the HMOVE Lines: Yes they are annoying. Im think too about enabling HMOVE on every line. The other way im thinking about is to change background color a bit with every HOME line. So user wont see it so much.

2. Im really interested in using this gun but the problem is that i need the controlers for testing them. ;) And at the moment i dont have one. But we will see. :)

3. Yes, now u know why i posted this on stella list. Its the first time that im using a more adavnced graphic kernel. ;) So i had some problems, which are now solved. :D

[*]The HMOVE bars are slightly annoying now that I see them.  It might be an idea to clear half of PF0 to hide them, or do an HMOVE on every line.

I am interested to see how this turns out ...

921537[/snapback]

Another way to eliminate HMOVE bars is to perform the HMOVE on cycle 74. This has the consequence that ALL objects will be moved eight pixels left from where their motion register should indicate, but if that can be dealt with, you get nice object motion and no HMOVE bars. The biggest 'gotcha' with this technique is that you must use care when placing objects near the right edge of the screen to avoid skipping a scan line.

Another way to eliminate HMOVE bars is to perform the HMOVE on cycle 74.

I have read at stella list that this trick doesnt work on some atari 2600 machines. This is not good. And another problem is that z26, which is my favorite emulator, hides the black lines like a real machine, but it doesnt this 8 pixel shift.

I have read at stella list that this trick doesnt work on some atari 2600 machines. This is not good. And another problem is that z26, which is my favorite emulator, hides the black lines like a real machine, but it doesnt this 8 pixel shift.

I am not sure if this info is 100% correct. IMO it's not really proved yet.

There are slightly different machines, with slightly different behavior. But you could autodetect them and adjust the HM-values (if necessary).

There are slightly different machines, with slightly different behavior. But you could autodetect them and adjust the HM-values (if necessary).

Two questions:

1. How can i autodetect that im on an atari 2600 jr. f.e.?

2. Are there some kind of "tables" which describe which machine needs which kind of HM values?

In my opinion, a HMOVE on every line or just painting the first 16 pixels on every line black is still the best way as long its not 100% sure that this works on all machines. This 74 cycle method seems to me a nice hack. But when i think more general, when i want to code a really stable product, its bedder to avoid such kind of hacks. Or am i wrong?

Hi there!

This 74 cycle method seems to me a nice hack. But when i think more general, when i want to code a really stable product, its bedder to avoid such kind of hacks. Or am i wrong?

Did you ever try Gunfight on a console where you think the trick doesn't work? From all I know, it should work everywhere. Also, the emulation of Z26 should be rock solid here, it certainly does the 8 pixel shift.

Greetings,

Manuel

Also, the emulation of Z26 should be rock solid here, it certainly does the 8 pixel shift.

I am using z26 Version 2.13-X86_CORE. And i burned my test code on a rom AND tested it on z26. The z26 did not the HM pixel shift, the real machine did!

Unless this is a sequel to Bobby is Going Home, you might want to consider a name change.

This anolgy is wanted. I am not good in finding good names for my code. So i remembered one of my first atari games, bobby goes home. And now bobby is at home but hungry. So he has to shoot some chicken for lunch. ;) This was my idea behind the name. :D

Hi there!

I am using z26 Version 2.13-X86_CORE. And i burned my test code on a rom AND tested it on z26. The z26 did not the HM pixel shift, the real machine did!

Hm... do you still have the source code from that experiment? I'll only believe it when I see it ;)

Greetings,

Manuel

Hm... do you still have the source code from that experiment? I'll only believe it when I see it icon_wink.gif

The source was step by step developed to "bobby needs food". So inderectly the source still exists. ;) But it should be easy for me to recreate. When i find time ill do and publish source here so u can see it with your own eyes. :)