IGNORED

What genre do you feel is underepresented on 2600?

salstadt

What type of game would you like to see more of?

I'd say action puzzlers since that's my favorite genre, but there are a fair amount of those so I'll go with uneasy/horror titles. Haunted House was so great in its execution, I'd love to see a horror game push the system even further in terms of putting the gamer on the edge of their seat.

- Adam

926676[/snapback]

I'd like to see more side-scrollers. Although the technical limitations of the 2600 make up/down scrollers easier to program, side-scrollers may also be possible with more effort.

926680[/snapback]

I'd like to see more side-scrollers as well. I'd like to see something with the illusion that the background is actually moving as you move your character, like in Super Mario Bros. Of course that wouldn't be possible on the 2600, but there are ways to give that illusion such as in Defender, something to give the illusion of movement but have you controlling a person, rather than a ship. :-)

Of course that wouldn't be possible on the 2600, but there are ways to give that illusion such as in Defender, something to give the illusion of movement but have you controlling a person, rather than a ship.

Have you ever tried Texas Chainsaw Massacre?

Maybe something similar to that...But fun?

Of course that wouldn't be possible on the 2600, but there are ways to give that illusion such as in Defender, something to give the illusion of movement but have you controlling a person, rather than a ship.

Have you ever tried Texas Chainsaw Massacre?

Maybe something similar to that...But fun?

930340[/snapback]

I haven't played TCM, but I've read some reviews of it -- see what you mean by it not being fun! -- I'll try it when I get home tonight and let you know what I think. From what I've been reading, it seems to be the type of game that I'm thinking of.

I'd like to see more side-scrollers.  Although the technical limitations of the 2600 make up/down scrollers easier to program, side-scrollers may also be possible with more effort.

I'd like to see more side-scrollers as well. I'd like to see something with the illusion that the background is actually moving as you move your character, like in Super Mario Bros. Of course that wouldn't be possible on the 2600, but there are ways to give that illusion such as in Defender, something to give the illusion of movement but have you controlling a person, rather than a ship. :-)

There are a bunch of side scrollers in the 2600 library; it isn't really that underrepresented at all.

Here's a few of the better ones:

Double Dragon

Mountain King

Jungle Hunt

Road Runner

Defender 2

Defender

Star Wars: TESB

Moon Patrol

Barnstorming

Desert Falcon

Stampede

Chopper Command

Subterranea

Vanguard

I'd like to see more side-scrollers.  Although the technical limitations of the 2600 make up/down scrollers easier to program, side-scrollers may also be possible with more effort.

There are a bunch of side scrollers in the 2600 library; it isn't really that underrepresented at all.

930454[/snapback]

Yes that's true... but the question was what genre do you "feel" is underrepresented on the 2600. So that means one's opinion of what they'd like to see more of factors into it... it's not just about dividing 2600 games by genre and seeing which genre is least represented. If that was the case, we'd all agree... the answer would be the zombie/cowboy genre.

You know...what about Strategy games? Are there any (besides, I suppose, Chess) for the 2600?

The only one I can think of is Master of Arcturus, which I think was only ever released for the 2004 Minigame Compo; never on cartridge.

EDIT: Stellar Track is another one.

Edited by vdub_bobby

Double Dragon

Mountain King

Jungle Hunt

Road Runner

Defender 2

Defender

Star Wars: TESB

Moon Patrol

Barnstorming

Desert Falcon

Stampede

Chopper Command

Subterranea

Vanguard

930454[/snapback]

I have tried TCM and it actually is along the lines of what I had in mind, a game that allows you to control a character moving horizontally and either attacking other characters, like in TCM, or avoiding objects like in Road Runner. Although I still think that side-scrolling platformers are under-represented on the 2600, I do appreciate the list because now I can test out these games. Road Runner is a prime example because it's effective of giving the illusion of movement and even objects in the background move from left to right. I still need to give Double Dragon a try.

I'd like to see what kind of new side-scrollers our talented homebrewers out there can come up with. :cool:

Double Dragon

I have tried TCM and it actually is along the lines of what I had in mind, a game that allows you to control a character moving horizontally and either attacking other characters, like in TCM, or avoiding objects like in Road Runner. Although I still think that side-scrolling platformers are under-represented on the 2600, I do appreciate the list because now I can test out these games. Road Runner is a prime example because it's effective of giving the illusion of movement and even objects in the background move from left to right. I still need to give Double Dragon a try.

Umm...whoops! Double Dragon doesn't scroll, actually. My mistake :dunce:

Horror/Suspense games:

Haunted House

Ghost Manor

Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Halloween

Frankenstein's Monster

Alien

Xenophobe

Entombed

Dark Chambers

Skeleton (and Skeleton+)

Iffy:

Dark Cavern

Ghostbusters

I don't think this genre is that underrepresented, either.

However:

Most of those games are either not any good (as games) or not really suspenseful, and

This genre hasn't gotten a lot of homebrew attention.

930454[/snapback]

I was thinking more of a platformer/side scroller. Games that come to mind are SMB, Rastan, Rolling Thunder, just off the top of my head. Lots of such titles in the NES library, for instance.

So for the 2600, we've got...Mountain King.

930454[/snapback]

I was thinking more of a platformer/side scroller. Games that come to mind are SMB, Rastan, Rolling Thunder, just off the top of my head. Lots of such titles in the NES library, for instance.

So for the 2600, we've got...Mountain King.

932125[/snapback]

Gas Hog is kind of a side-scrolling platformer.

What type of game would you like to see more of?

I'd say action puzzlers since that's my favorite genre, but there are a fair amount of those so I'll go with uneasy/horror titles. Haunted House was so great in its execution, I'd love to see a horror game push the system even further in terms of putting the gamer on the edge of their seat.

- Adam

926676[/snapback]

Like Texas Chainsaw Massacre or Halloween?

I'd say action puzzlers since that's my favorite genre, but there are a fair amount of those

I don't think they're necessarily under-represented, but I'd like to see more puzzle games on the 2600.

How are there a fair amount of puzzle games, or how are they not necessarily under-represented on the 2600?

KLAX, Acid Drop, a handful of homebrews...what else is there? Am I missing something?

927744[/snapback]

Just realized you could add Atari Video Cube to that list.

Bringing the Puzzle genre to:

KLAX

Acid Drop

Atari Video Cube

----

Jammed

Okie Dokie

Edtris

Crazy Valet

So maybe puzzles aren't as underrepresented as I thought.