IGNORED

New game

PkK

I have nearly finished a new colecovision game.

I have attached 0.10, the last stable version. I has no known bugs, 23 levels and uses 28K.

My current development version already has twice as much levels - each time you win a level the next one will be randomly selected from 2. You win the game after playing through 23 levels.

Please tell me what you think about the game. I still have 2 K left. Waht should I do with it?

-More levels?

-More music?

-Nicer intro screen?

-Nicer game over screen?

-Nicer game won screen?

-In game manual?

-Any other ideas?

Philipp

SCV.rom.gz

post-218-1126896235_thumb.jpgpost-218-1126896246_thumb.jpgNeat game! But I think the graphics could look a little nicer. Here's a screenshot from the game, and my modification of the screenshot. I believe I stayed within the Colecovision's graphical capabilities. But of course, you'd have to alter your code a little to draw the shadows the way I made them.

Overall, I think it's a cool game, but I think it shoud have a simple title screen that says "press fire" then goes to the option screen.

I'd also like to see an option that makes the game faster, instead of options to make it slower.

And I seemed to encounter some funky bugs when I set player 1 (the blue snake) to be controlled by AI S. Sometimes snake heads would pop up instead of the regular items you're supposed to collect, and occasionally, snakes would just start growing, and never stop. (I played the game using the emulator MEKA)

Well, if you set the moves/(10 seconds) option to something high like 600 and don't use high-skilled AIs it should be really fast. Faster than 600(US) / 500(Europe) is impossible since the only timing source in the Colecovision is the vertical-blank interrupt.

So far I tested the game only with the MESS emulator; I already ordered a new EPROM-burner, once I get it I'll test the game on a CBS Colecovision console.

As far as the title screen is concerned: I might replace it with something nice-looking without all that technical info for the final release. I just programmed the game and then added title- game over- and game-won screens in the end. Since writing some text for them was the easiest I went that way knowing that I might replace them later on.

About hte bug you saw: In your screenshot as similar thing is visible: The corrupted length display for the white snake. I have already seen those bugs and thought I found the cause of them and eliminated it. They never appeared during my testing with the MESS emulator since.

Edited by PkK

• 1 month later...

-Remember the settings when all worms die and you are returned to the title screen.

I'll implement that one. I'm not yet sure about the sound effects. There ist not much ROM space left and the sound effects might interfere with music.