IGNORED

TOTAL Surprise for Jaguar Fans

Songbird

To quickly answer some questions, this the 2-player version of the game but it's more complete than what other collectors have seen/played; that's why I am calling this the "final release candidate". There is no "eval" message, you can only enter the Options screen before you start a game, and there is no 1-button level skip trick.  There are two ways to control your gun, either use the fire buttons or use the keypad. Each method has its advantages and disadvantages, and a ProController is very useful in this game!

The game includes a professionally printed box, white insert, 16-page glossy manual, and full-color label on the cartridge.

I have personally played almost every level of the game, and have (using the warp codes) reached the end. There are no graphical glitches, the game is rock-solid, and no crashes in any situation as far as I know. If you achieve a high score, your score and initials are saved to EEPROM. And did I mention it's very addictive to play? ;)

All in all, this is one of the most complete "lost" Jaguar games I've ever seen. Thanks everybody for your support, it means a lot to me!

936510[/snapback]

Hi Carl!

Great to see some excitement surrounding the Jaguar, I'm thrilled you were finally able to secure the rights to this. My question is are the changes in this game versus the one that is out there things that you did yourself or was it a new "rom" you received from Midway that they had tucked away somewhere? It would be so cool if it's different from the one I have! :)

Looking forward to it! Plus, to have a nice box and instructions to go along with it! Woohoo! Any chance I could buy an empty box/instructions for my loose cart? :D

Edited by jaysmith2000

Hi Carl,

Songbird announced today the immediate availability of Total Carnage for the Atari Jaguar. Total Carnage is the classic arcade game originally ported by Hand Made Software and licensed from long-time game publisher Midway.
Wow, that's great, and the fact it's a final release candidate is just the best!

I've ordered it, despite just paying €183 for a new car exhaust section today!

My wife's just vetoed me buying some upgrades on my car, so the Jag wins,

£57.24 GBP compared to £550+ I wanted to spend. Cars just eat up money!

Cheers,

JustClaws!

My question is are the changes in this game versus the one that is out there things that you did yourself or was it a new "rom" you received from Midway that they had tucked away somewhere?  It would be so cool if it's different from the one I have!  :)

These are changes I made myself. I easily spent 100+ hours working on this game over the past year, and wasn't going to be satisfied until I got all the above things I described corrected. Deciphering the disassembled code was a very slow and painful process. This was definitely the most work I have ever done on an unreleased game (without source) to prepare it for publication, but I trust Jag fans will find this was a worthwhile investment. :)

My question is are the changes in this game versus the one that is out there things that you did yourself or was it a new "rom" you received from Midway that they had tucked away somewhere?  It would be so cool if it's different from the one I have!  :)

These are changes I made myself. I easily spent 100+ hours working on this game over the past year, and wasn't going to be satisfied until I got all the above things I described corrected. Deciphering the disassembled code was a very slow and painful process. This was definitely the most work I have ever done on an unreleased game (without source) to prepare it for publication, but I trust Jag fans will find this was a worthwhile investment. :)

936611[/snapback]

AWESOME! You also answered my next question. I was wondering if you had the source code. What a bummer having to decipher the disassembled code. Yuck, that must have been a pain in the arse! It's great you stuck to it though and are releasing it with the changes you wanted. Again, big thanks for getting this released, I'm sure the community will support you with their pocketbooks! :D

Wow, that's pretty sweet.  Carl, have you had the chance to compare it to the SNES version?  It'd be nice to hear a little more specifics, but from the screenshots it looks pretty good.

936466[/snapback]

Bones, you can compare for yourself, Here's a link to a 50mb gameplay video of Total Carnage. (click on the screenshot to download)

936468[/snapback]

Thanks for the link, didn't realize that video was out there. It does look pretty good. Guess I'll have to pony up for this one, I'm a sucker for good shooters (;

Edited by bones

this is totaly awsome first jason is going have the alpha release of fight for life out (which I'm sure going get) now songbird come out with this game. a bit steep but I might be able to swing it. (I'm just glad it's a cart and not CD free(my CD drive is acting up with Cart slot).

2 players now Ihave to find freind and get me a second controller :)

This is great news!

Thank you so much for releasing this game, Carl. We were discussing this @ JS2 and I'd mentioned if the version text was at the main screen and K3V pointed out that it had been removed.

I have the 2 player version w/ the text on a Flash Cart and I can't wait to see the differences in this "finished" badboy!

Hopefully we'll see some cheats released in that next Jungle Guide, huh? I've spent many hours playing but never collected enough keys to enter the Pleasure Dome. :lust:

I'll probably order one next week when I find out if I even have a Jag collection anymore after Hurricane Rita finishes pummeling by belongings. :lolblue:

936611[/snapback]

Without Source, I'm amazed!

What an accomplishment.

Thank You, Carl

My gawd, Carl, I can't imagine doing what you did without the source code! I'll buy one, for that reason alone!

There are going to be plenty of these for years to come aren't there?  I would hate to put off buying this game this year only to find it has entered the price range of Battlesphere.

936693[/snapback]

Um, Songbird Productions does things the correct way. You won't see this game hit "BS" prices. Another reason why I'll buy one. I'll support someone who supports us.

Without the scource code.... cripes... you're, like, my hero. :D

Smeg

So come on Carl, you release TC (after I bugged ya for an update too, I feel so honored) and now we have TWO secret Jag projects on the products page... What's the deal? give us some clues... Keep us hot and you could be the king of the Jag Community by year end :)

So come on Carl, you release TC (after I bugged ya for an update too, I feel so honored) and now we have TWO secret Jag projects on the products page... What's the deal? give us some clues... Keep us hot and you could be the king of the Jag Community by year end :)

936852[/snapback]

He is already king with the mandate of heaven. We are currently building him a shrine. :lust: :love:

936852[/snapback]

I'm pretty sure Carl won't give any hints to his mystery projects. As you may or may not know, in the Jaggy community announcing something before you're ready to sell it is VERY dangerous. Folks here don't take too kindly to delays or cancellations in projects. :)

One nice thing about that is we get great suprises like this every once in a while (sometimes too long of a while)....I'm guessing more surprises are on the way....