IGNORED

I'd like to build a homebrew game

Teamatomics

Hi everyone.

I'm just new to the list, and am looking to work on developing a game. Not to Market, just to make a few copies and trade to friends, ect. I'm really interested in the graphics design part of it, and have no programming skills, so I wondered if anyone's had one made?

Any idea on the approximate cost of the programming part? ie...taking the raw design specifications and coding it, uploading the rom into the cart board?

I'm very interested and appreciate any experiences you've had.

I'm working on restoring a few arcade cabs, so I don't really have the time to learn how to build a cart, but I can do graphics easily, maybe that will help?

thanks again for any/all your input!

http://www3.sympatico.ca/jennifer.matsunaga/

Craig

Well, the short answer is - the only way homebrews have been made is by people who have programmed them. So cost isn't really the question. It's more a matter of learning to program for the 2600 (there are a lot of resources available), and putting in the countless hours required.

The question of "can someone program a game for me - I'll pay for it" has been brought up countless times, and the answer has always been the same. There aren't any programmers for hire.

Well, unless you have a lot of money. ;)

Hi everyone.

I'm just new to the list, and am looking to work on developing a game. Not to Market, just to make a few copies and trade to friends, ect. I'm really interested in the graphics design part of it, and have no programming skills, so I wondered if anyone's had one made?

Any idea on the approximate cost of the programming part? ie...taking the raw design specifications and coding it, uploading the rom into the cart board?

I'm very interested and appreciate any experiences you've had.

I'm working on restoring a few arcade cabs, so I don't really have the time to learn how to build a cart, but I can do graphics easily, maybe that will help?

thanks again for any/all your input!

http://www3.sympatico.ca/jennifer.matsunaga/

Craig

936775[/snapback]

People have asked the same questions before, and while it is still true that nobody's going to program a game for you, there is another option now for beginners. If you're talking about the Atari 2600 - even beginners can make games with batari Basic.

It's an easy-to-use Basic-like language, similar in feel to Basics on older computers.

I'm probably the one exception. I got Fade Out made by doing the art and finding an amazing coder (Chris Tumber) to code it. It's a 1 in a million shot really, but if you want that shot learn the system's limitations, make amazing mockups and gameplay so simple and elegant the coders can't say no. Even then no one might have time, but it is possible.

- Adam

Zach offered to write a Battleship kernel for $1,000 or to complete the whole game for $5,000.

I originally asked him for a kernel as a technical challenge. But really, I don't see any problem with homebrewers asking to be paid for their work.

So if you really want a game done and you are willing to spend that kind of money, you might try messaging him.